User Tag List

View Poll Results: Plastic Surgery, Yes or No?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

24 44.44%
  • No

30 55.56%
First 4567 Last

Thread: Plastic Surgery

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

I agree! Or scalpels!
    In the latter case, never ever let it procreate!

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx

I think plastic surgery is odd when people go overboard, but i think sometimes it is useful.
    INFP 4w5
    facebook
    The pain won't let me get away.

Anyone who would spend so much money, effort, and go through so much pain just so that they can look slightly different when they see themselves in the mirror has some problem. They're bowing down and succumbing to the pressure of the 21st century which suggests that it's imperative to look good, to look flawless all the time, no matter what's in your brain and what you actually do.
    Hmmm....that's quite a statement coming from someone whose never HAD plastic surgery and therefore has no idea what is inside the brain of someone who HAS. I think you are reading FAR TOO much into something that really isn't that big a deal to many people (such as myself). As a middle-aged mom I certainly had no illusions of looking flawless or bowing to pressure. I just didn't like what childbearing had done to my boobs. It's really that simple! I had the money, have no fear of procedures and feel that it's really just an extention of the 'self care' that I do for MYSELF.

I'm honestly curious where someone such as yourself would draw the line - haircoloring, teethwhitening - veneers?, braces, acrylic nails, hair removal, botox, permanent makeup, are these all a sign that the person is succumbing to the pressure?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8

As far as the plastic surgery that you're probably refering to (boob jobs, face lifts, etc.), I'd say yes in general. I'm a bit of a utilitarian here: if the consequences are great (confidence, happiness, whatever), then the surgery is good for you. Naturally, if the consequences are Michael Jackson syndrome (never being satisfied, surgery every other month), then the surgery is bad for you. I don't judge or pity people who get boob or nose jobs... I just don't care. If it improves their lives, then I say go for it.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8

A side issue with plastic surgery is the interaction between your personality/ identity and your outward appearance. If you've been hiding in a hole because you feel ugly, a face lift may give you the confidence necessary to get out and just be yourself. If, however, you're getting the surgery to look like Barbie because you hate looking Jewish (lets pretend you're a practicing Jew), then that's you trying to run from who you are. That's not cool. Cosmetic surgery should be in harmony with your true self/identity.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by alicia91 View Post
    Hmmm....that's quite a statement coming from someone whose never HAD plastic surgery and therefore has no idea what is inside the brain of someone who HAS. I think you are reading FAR TOO much into something that really isn't that big a deal to many people (such as myself). As a middle-aged mom I certainly had no illusions of looking flawless or bowing to pressure. I just didn't like what childbearing had done to my boobs. It's really that simple! I had the money, have no fear of procedures and feel that it's really just an extention of the 'self care' that I do for MYSELF.

I'm honestly curious where someone such as yourself would draw the line - haircoloring, teethwhitening - veneers?, braces, acrylic nails, hair removal, botox, permanent makeup, are these all a sign that the person is succumbing to the pressure?

I agree with you - I did say that I don't think I have a right to be judgemental. What you did seems quite okay to me, frankly. I wouldn't think too much of it at all.

I just don't like the fact that appearance has acquired such an important role in our society. I'm all for grooming, being presentable, dressing up and feeling good about yourself.

I've seen people diet till they're weak and anorexic, not leave the house if they haven't had their eyebrows plucked, and not go to parties if they don't have 'something new' to wear. Whenever a bunch of women get together, all they talk about is their weight. I find that so incredibly frustrating! :steam:

Anyway, I'm going off-topic here. Plastic surgery just seems like an extension of all this. I can't help but feel that a vast majority of people who go for plastic surgery are those who hate their bodies.

Read this -

If the shoe doesn’t fit . . . - Times Online

And I had braces in my childhood, I wear contact lenses 'cause my glasses become too thick - So I do believe in and use some appearance change implements.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

I would have breast reduction and probably a tummy tuck...those post children issues. The breast reduction is becoming medically necessary. Too much stress on my back and shoulders. I would never have anything done to my face.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I've had so many moles removed I've lost count. Most were to prevent skin cancer but I asked her to remove one from my face once that was not a medical concern. It was right in between my eyes and I had always been self-conscious about it. My dermatologist said something like "it doesn't seem to be the type of mole that would turn funny... but you never know."

For the record my husband was slightly disappointed that I had it removed because he thought it was cute (he called it my third eye) but he understood.

I only mention this because the line between " OMG plastic surgery!" and reasonable concern for one's appearance can be very fuzzy.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    isfj

no, cuz i'm keepin' it real.

edit: though i'd consent for reconstruction if i were injured.
    just throw it against the wall and see what sticks.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by oasispaw View Post
    no, cuz i'm keepin' it real.

edit: though i'd consent for reconstruction if i were injured.
    Would you be okay with them adding in weapons during the reconstruction? Like laser eyes?
    Go to sleep, iguana.