User Tag List

View Poll Results: Plastic Surgery, Yes or No?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

24 44.44%
  • No

30 55.56%
First 23456 Last

Thread: Plastic Surgery

MBTI
    INTP

if it makes people happy and is safe then i wouldn't knock it for others. from the perspective of younger people, myself included, it's hard to imagine but i'm sure as we age the desire does grow to "fix-up" some stuff.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I tend to draw the line between correcting abnormalities and just changing stuff. I think it's always okay to fix something that is not a normal part of being a human being, be it a club foot or a cleft palate or breasts so large they cause serious back pain or a mastectomy or sagging skin after weight loss. I would draw the line at changing my nose or my eyes because I would rather have different features. I don't really look down on those who choose otherwise, though, at least not for that alone. If they seem to be obsessed or take it too far, I feel sorry for them, and if they seem just vacuous and vain, it's more of a symptom of that than a problem in and of itself.

I have to say, the line of reasoning that "it often looks weird" does not ring true with me because it's a necessarily biased sample. You don't know about the plastic surgery that looks natural, because *ta-da!* you think it's natural.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I tend to draw the line between correcting abnormalities and just changing stuff. I think it's always okay to fix something that is not a normal part of being a human being, be it a club foot or a cleft palate or breasts so large they cause serious back pain or a mastectomy or sagging skin after weight loss. I would draw the line at changing my nose or my eyes because I would rather have different features. I don't really look down on those who choose otherwise, though, at least not for that alone. If they seem to be obsessed or take it too far, I feel sorry for them, and if they seem just vacuous and vain, it's more of a symptom of that than a problem in and of itself.

I have to say, the line of reasoning that "it often looks weird" does not ring true with me because it's a necessarily biased sample. You don't know about the plastic surgery that looks natural, because *ta-da!* you think it's natural.
    I feel pretty much the same way. I am not big on breast implants on women, but many (especially as they age) get work done to reduce or reshape them, and that is fine. The stuff that is heinous is botox and permanent makeup, things along those lines. Those make women look like dying clowns. Also, for men, the Burt Reynolds-style multiple facelifts. He is starting to look Asian with those eyebrows.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INTP

I have absolutely no problem with plastic surgery. It's like anything else--things can be taken to extremes. You shouldn't confuse the internal with the external. I would consider getting a boob job, but the size I would get, you probably wouldn't be able to tell. Nothing more than what a padded bra would do. My sister and I always felt shafted in the boob department, and we don't want to be Pam Anderson. We just want a nice balance to the rest of our bodies.

I see no problems with nose jobs or chin implants, etc., as long as they're natural. I don't think there's any basis to assume that ALL people that have plastic surgery have major baggage. I can accept myself for my flaws, but still recognize that I don't want a Margaret Hamilton nose.

I don't like the giant Baywatch boobs or the little kewpie doll noses, though, and I really hate the restylane injections all of Hollywood had put in their lips. A natural looking result is key.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    INTJ

I could never spend money on cosmetic surgery. I mean, I do other "cosmetic" things, like buying new clothes or makeup from time to time, but I try to keep the costs down and only buy things I know I have a good use for. I could not justify spending thousands of dollars on something so superficial.

I mean, a breast augmentation costs about $6000. There are charities that provide surgery to children with cleft palates for $150. You could provide 40 surgeries and radically alter 40 kids' lives instead of getting your breasts made a size bigger.

I am in no way happy with my body...if cosmetic surgery were free, I'd have a million things done. I just can't justify the cost when there are so many people who need something done more than me. I'm sure there are things that I do that are just as selfish, so I'm not saying that I'm less selfish than people who get cosmetic surgery done. I just can't identify with this particular brand of selfishness.

However, I could totally understand it if someone was born with an abnormality, or had excess skin taken off after significant weight loss, or had a mastectomy, or was left with scarring from an accident, because that's just going from abnormal to normal. But I can't understand people who are perfectly normal spending all that money to be "better" when there are people who have to live their whole lives with disabilities that cause them to be treated as outcasts simply because they don't have the money to fix it.

I try not to look down on people who have gotten cosmetic surgery, because it's their choice, but sometimes I can't help but feel that it's a rather selfish one. I do know someone, though, who got a nose job and it really made her look great (she had one of the biggest noses I'd ever seen). She was not a vain or vapid person, so it seemed more justifiable to me. That doesn't logically follow, but I will admit that if someone gets something improved because they think it makes them look really bad or if they get treated differently because of it, that seems MUCH better to me than people who already look pretty normal but just want a boob job or a tighter stomach.

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    I have absolutely no problem with plastic surgery. It's like anything else--things can be taken to extremes. You shouldn't confuse the internal with the external. I would consider getting a boob job, but the size I would get, you probably wouldn't be able to tell. Nothing more than what a padded bra would do. My sister and I always felt shafted in the boob department, and we don't want to be Pam Anderson. We just want a nice balance to the rest of our bodies.

I see no problems with nose jobs or chin implants, etc., as long as they're natural. I don't think there's any basis to assume that ALL people that have plastic surgery have major baggage. I can accept myself for my flaws, but still recognize that I don't want a Margaret Hamilton nose.

I don't like the giant Baywatch boobs or the little kewpie doll noses, though, and I really hate the restylane injections all of Hollywood had put in their lips. A natural looking result is key.
    yes to all of that.
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    INxJ

I think it's fine as long as someone isn't going crazy with it or changing their original look to unrecognizable.

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I vote yes, because I don't think it is necessarily a bad thing.
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    INTP

It's not something I'd ever do for myself. The only exception would be reconstruction if I had an accident or something. There are risks every time you have surgery or go under general anasthetic. Those risks are acceptable if there is a genuine medical reason to have surgery - but otherwise, I really don't see the appeal. I don't see myself as being particularly physically attractive but it doesn't bother me - my self-image isn't wrapped up in how I look.

That said, I don't really care if other people have plastic surgery but it seems odd to go down that path. I guess I don't relate to their risk analysis or being that dissatisfied with their looks to do it.

However, I don't really see any problems with correcting any deformities (icky word, can't think of a better one) like a hare lip, but in my eyes that can be a medical problem, not just a cosmetic one. Reconstructive surgery after accidents or a mastectomy makes sense to me, as do breast reductions (which are often done for medical reasons, such as back pain).
    ...so much smoke pouring out of each chromosome.

MBTI
    ISTx

Lightbulb

I voted before I read the OP. I voted "yes" but I meant that I don't care if a person wants a minor operation done if they've lived self-consciously with something that can easily be "fixed", helping them to feel better with their self image. Blah, blah, blah, I know people say "you shouldn't care, it's what's on the inside that counts." That may be true but, we all deal with superficial insecurities and I won't look down on another for taking action through whatever means if it can help them operate in life with more confidence.

Those that are obsessed with plastic surgery and their looks... That's an entirely different tale.