User Tag List

View Poll Results: Plastic Surgery, Yes or No?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

24 44.44%
  • No

30 55.56%
First 1234 Last

Thread: Plastic Surgery

MBTI
    yupp

so is this poll I approve of plastic surgery or I have had plastic surgery? because I think in some cases it's alright like lets say you were badly burned and are now disfigured, otherwise what's the point? or if your born deformed and don't want to join the circus freak show. Now that's a half joke, but seriously if my child was born with a cleft mouth I'd get surgery for him or her. for myself no cuz I could end up looking like michael jackson
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I have mixed feelings about plastic surgery. I attach more importance to the mental health and intentions of the person getting the surgery, rather than the act of surgery itself.

People who seek validation just in conforming to some external standard of beauty will not be served very well by surgery, because the body eventually ages. Any emotional security stemming from the body is doomed.

Then again, people who take the surgery with a grain of salt, accept their limitations, and don't look towards it as their source of self esteem...? It's actually less of a deal with them, if they have surgery, because their identity isn't about conforming to an outer image.

Then there are those who, for whatever reason, have severe emotional hangups about their appearance enough that it darkens their entire life... this is something to be discussed in therapy. Some people could have the same appearance and not be bothered by it (just like some people are very overweight, yet carry themselves with confidence), while others just cannot rise above what they see a glaring deformity. Perhaps a nose job to make the face more presentable will take enough anxiety off that they can feel comfortable enough to be themselves. I cannot make a blanket judgment on that sort of thing.

I think in the case of Michael Jackson, it is pretty clear that he suffers from a host of psychological issues and that cosmetic surgery was not the answer for him... and in fact he took it so far that he physically damaged himself and integrates less well than before. His psychosis has only deepened.

I don't know. To me motivation is the key, as well as expectations: If someone expects plastic surgery itself to make their life perfect, they are prone to great disappointment.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTJ

I wouldn't do it for me, but I definitely support it for other people. Reconstructive surgery obviously has a purpose, but even cosmetic surgery can drastically improve someone's life. Why shouldn't they be warranted at least a similar chance as people who were lucky enough to be born with good genetics?
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

I'm fine with it as long as it's not really noticeable. A friend of mine lost over 100 pounds and she had loose skin everywhere! She was happy to be thinner, but miserable with the other. She was nipped and tucked and looks great now. So as long as it's not extreme then I am cool with it.
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    2w%

I voted no. Though I have thought about it. More or less only because my nose was broken at a very young age and every now and then I get curious as to what I'd look like if it never happened.

About the only corrective surgery I do actually plan on getting one day is Laser Eye surgery to correct my vision. I don't really consider that cosmetic though.

When it comes to surgery on others, I don't really care if they do or not.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Fe/Fi 36.9/37.7
    Ne/Ni 34.9/25.8
    Se/Si 25.7/19.5
    Te/Ti 28.4/31.9
    Type: 2w% sx/sp/so

I don't want it, I just need it, to breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.

Never take life to seriously.. No one gets out alive in the end anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post

Reconstructive surgery is good stuff. Elective cosmetic surgery usually looks like crap. Though I do have a weakness for big fake boobs.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by sassafrassquatch View Post
    Reconstructive surgery is good stuff. Elective cosmetic surgery usually looks like crap. Though I do have a weakness for big fake boobs.
    Memo to Michael Jackson: "Big Fake Boobs = social acceptance!"
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Memo to Michael Jackson: "Big Fake Boobs = social acceptance!"
    ...but how would we be able to tell him and Janet apart?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    2w%

Quote Originally Posted by sassafrassquatch View Post
    Though I do have a weakness for big fake boobs.
    I personally could care less about that aspect of women.. Guess I'm just not a T&A type of guy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Fe/Fi 36.9/37.7
    Ne/Ni 34.9/25.8
    Se/Si 25.7/19.5
    Te/Ti 28.4/31.9
    Type: 2w% sx/sp/so

I don't want it, I just need it, to breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.

Never take life to seriously.. No one gets out alive in the end anyway.