Page 8 of 34 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Explain your username

5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by SNUGGLETRON View Post
    how do I trick Saint Kat into coming to my basement
    you have to get past me first
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

My username was a bit of a joke really. With a wild card, you never know what you're going to get. People say the same thing about me: Once they get to know me I'm completely different than what they assumed.
    Anything that you haven't fought for isn't going to be appreciated. It takes blood, sweat, and a large amount of tears before you appreciate what you have.

The Duchess of Oddity Array Queen Kat's Avatar

I'm going to nobody's basement. I'm stressed out, I'm feeling sick and I'm having chest aches for a couple of days now, so having me in your basement is no fun at all!
    I was sitting outside the classroom waiting to go in, and I saw an airplane hit the tower. The TV was obviously on. I used to fly myself and I said, "There's one terrible pilot."
    - George W. Bush -

SCUAI - 7w8 sx/sp - Chaotic Evil - Fucking Cute - ALIVE

Blog. Read it, bitches.
    Questions? Click here
    If you don't agree about my MBTI type, you can complain about it here. I've had plenty of people telling me I'm something else, in my reputation box. That's annoying.

Starcrossed Seafarer Array Aquarelle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WildCard View Post
    My username was a bit of a joke really. With a wild card, you never know what you're going to get. People say the same thing about me: Once they get to know me I'm completely different than what they assumed.
    Well of course - you're an INFJ!
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert

Quote Originally Posted by Aquarelle99 View Post
    Well of course - you're an INFJ!
    Yes I hear that all the time too.

My username has been my username for a long time across a lot of forums, it was my first username which wasnt my name, it was one which I adopted for using on the McSpotlight forum supporting the McLibel campaigners in their fight against McDonalds in the UK, although at that time it was used by a couple of people.

It was for a while my alter ego, in a kind of super hero way, before I decided that that sort of thing wasnt a good idea after reading Karen Horney's books. It became a nickname briefly off line too. I picked it as a symbol of freedom, the Lark, but also because I liked the sound of it too. Its short and easily remembered.

Interesting point, if you read K is for Killing, a thriller novel about a fascist America there is a minor bureaucrat villain called "Lark", at the time I suspected that this was a literary invention by someone I'd flame warred with online or on the McSpotlight forums, there's a chance that this is the case as there are characters and characterisation from that novel which reflect threads and posters from that forum. I've been told there's another fantasy novel in which a character called Lark is involved too but I think its purely coincidence, it could have been coincidence in the other instance too I dont know.

I review books on Amazon under my Lark username.

Senior Member Array copperfish17's Avatar
    5w4 sp/so

My username... actually has no meaning at all. Copper. Fish. 17. Nothing symbolic about any of those words/number.

(For the last time, I am not 17 years old! )
    Enneagram: 5w4 5-9-2 (5w4 9w1 2w1) sp/so

"Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Greg King
    The worst mistake people make in political arguments is assuming that the other side is not trying to do the right thing. This simple oversight makes productive conversation nearly impossible.

Alchemist of life Array Coriolis's Avatar
    5w6 sp/sx

My username is from the coriolis force, an inertial force used to account for the apparent deflection of the path of an object moving in a rotating reference frame. (See Wikipedia for a reasonable explanation and some illustrative graphics.) I wanted a username that was straightforward, one word, unlikely to be confused with others, and descriptive or relevant in an indirect way. The idea of the coriolis force makes me think of how significant a "simple" change of reference frame, or perspective, can be. I relate to it thus as a physicist, and a Ni-dom, since to me, Ni is all about perspective: seeing what everyone else sees, but in a different way.

Nips away your dignity Array Fluffywolf's Avatar
    9 sp/sx

It's a nickname that people gave me in an roleplaying environment I was part off, where I roleplayed a wolf. Which was inspired by both my interest in wolves as well as the movie Dances with Wolves (In terms of how I portrayed the wolf). Was a lot of fun, and I started to use the nick Fluffywolf for other things on the internet, eventually taking it as my internet alias alltogether.

These are my main internet nicks I've used since I entered the internets in order of first to last:

Polletje (My first internet alias and also at the time my irl nickname.)
    Asrudin / DrA / Da real Asrudin (Hey, I was young and Da real was cool to add to your name)
    Chayim (It's a hebrewfication of my first name: René)
    Kaynin (It's a bastardization of Chayim which I felt was more masculine! Rawr!
    Fluffywolf (I threw all of the masculinity out of the window with this one, didn't I?)

3w2 so

Entropy ( greek.: εντροπία [en] in- , [trope] -change, -transformation) is a word that originated from thermodynamics and has by now been adapted by different popular sciences aswell. The general idea of it is that it stands for "chaos" but this is not true. Entropy is no measurement of the symmetry of a system, it is a measurement of the possible states a system can inherit. This measurement has potential character, so for example a classical example would be an ice cube in a drink disagregating: with the ice cube disagregating the entropy is increasing.

Why is that now you may ask ? One has to remember that entropy is no measurement of symmetry, therefore it is not the idea of the molecules disagregating in the drink and taking on a new position, which can be understood as a change of entropy.

So to understand that, here's a little story: there was a guy, who came along and said we have a lot of energy on this planet in form of our oceans, but we cant really use it, because it has the same temperature as the environment. If we could heat it up or cool it down it would have potential to give off energy but this way, its not possible. So lets call this T * dS, with T being the temperature and S being the entropy, d is just an index which says the entropy is dependant on time, or better it changes with time progressing.

So from that this guy said: dS = δQ / T + δW(diss) / T
    This means the entropy is the heat flow volume ( Q ) plus the energy that cant be recovered ( W(dissipative) ). So if you think of a common diezel engine, which has a degree of efficiency of around 40 %, which means only 40 percent of the energy, which the gasoline inherits is transferred to the streets; you can understand the formula.

To really get an idea you can think of a conventional power plant, in which water is heated up thru burning coal or thru atomic power and then is used, while in steam form, to propell a turbine, which gives off electrical energy. After that the hot steam is cooled down to become water again. In theory this process should go on forever, in reality tho it is the above formula that applies. Dissipative energy is given off via friction that have the steam molecules towards the walls and via convection and that is heat being transferred thru the walls.

I did choose the name because it reminds me, as a thinker that a constant eye for perfection can make you blind for energy which dissipated, but still is part of the problem. Which means in essence, I try to understand my emotions better, because they influence my doing in all things and are always a product of a process in which they cant be changed or recovered.

To me the name is the picture of an imperfect life, which cant be grasped logically and first with one being in-touch with everything that makes you human, you may get a glimpse on the masterplan God laid out for you.

It loves perfection and a clean and shiny circular clockwork but sets no boundaries to possibilities and inconsistencies aswell.

The possibility to achieve so many different states is on the same time a reflection of myself; I've been in so many different universes by now, it's fascinating. And life, not in the least, did came up with the idea to bore me yet...
    Johari / Nohari

"How dreadful!" cried Lord Henry. "I can stand brute force, but brute reason is quite unbearable. There is something unfair about its use. It is hitting below the intellect."
    ~ Oscar Wilde - The picture of Dorian Gray