User Tag List

First 123 Last

Thread: Taking risks

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I'll try to name some.

When I was younger, I took a lot of physical risks not thinking much of consequences. I could have been paralyzed from the waist down easily when I fell from the top of a tree one time and landed on a swing set on my back. I was thrown off a go-kart death-trap like 3 times, one of which shaved off the skin on my side till I could stick my finger in and touch my rib bone. We accidently had a car roll backwards when we were all in it as kids into the street. doing stupid stunts like jumping over x number of newspapers lined up in rollerblades on concrete without pads not thinking eventually you come to a breaking limit where you can't jump over them and fall didn't occur to us really. We got into a lot of pretty awful stuff growing up. I think my mom just assumed we were going to die by the age of 15.

I enlisted into the military when I was 17 having no idea if that was what I truly wanted or needed in life, signed away 6 years of my life not knowing if I'd resent myself for years later or not.

Those are the big ones I can think of off the top of my head.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by BRMC117 View Post
    I got this from Salt n' Pepper in the "ask the next poster anything" thread

What risks have you taken in your life? Be it physically or emotionally, what have you done?
    I moved across the country to search for what I couldn't find where I was from
    Does this count as a risk?
    Sometimes I eat my grapes without washing them.
    I pet stray kittens.
    I know Such a quiet and lame life.
    Oh and I like practicing RAK(s) when I see an opening.
    But thats not a risk
    Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    St. Stephen took rocks and St. Sebastian took arrows. You only have to take some jerks on an internet forum. Nut up.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Well, I have taken "risks" that I did not see as much of a risk as others did, if I rationally felt I was capable of handling it. (Sort of like rock and mountain climbers take risks that would scare the pants off some people.)

I've never minded heights and I'll get close to the edge of steep drops. I'm still very aware of the physics and where I'm at, so it doesn't seem dangerous to me but does to others.

I also once drove six hours through a blizzard to be with someone for Christmas -- I knew if I just took things steady I would be fine, I just didn't know I'd take six hours to make a three hour trip -- but my parents were furious with me. meanwhile, I knew exactly what to do in snow, and I was in "focus lock" the entire trip, not taking things faster than I knew was safe, and I did fine.

I guess where I rarely took risks was in my relationships and economic situation. I tended to keep whatever job I was at far beyond the time I should have left, and I also cared far too much what others thought of me, so often I did not speak my mind or was openly honestly about what I thought and felt about things.

One aberration where I was vulnerable first? In college, I did something completely unlike me -- I decided to go tell someone I liked them, even though I knew they were serious with someone else -- and I guess they weren't as serious as claimed, since that relationship ended with the week and we ended up getting married three years later. You just never know when a risk you take will have a huge irrevocable impact on your life.

Another was choosing to finally be honest about what I needed to thrive and make changes in my life a few years ago. In that situation, the risk resulted in some loss -- I ended up separated and also basically lost my extended family... but in this case the payoff was what I had hoped and I'm now at a position in life where I take risks daily because they no longer seem like risks. I speak my mind, I shared and project myself honestly into the world, people know what I truly think and feel ... and as it turns out, I'm a lot happier and I have many many people who care about me and like who I am.

So you just don't know. But sometimes the risks have to be taken if you're going to get anywhere good.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

I tried cliff jumping last week. Like into water. Truly amazing...the rush of falling freely in upwards of 70 feet straight down into the water is one of the keenest feelings I have.

and then there is drugs.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

Banned
    MBTI
    INTx

Bad joke, Bob.

MBTI
    intP

Quit a stable job I hated to go to grad school.

I fight for fun, training bjj and mma. I've injured my self pretty good a few times. I've got some good photos.

Motorcycling but not sportbikes.

Occasionally driving when I shouldn't. Hmm... I should reconsider doing this one.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by Funkadelic View Post
    I tried cliff jumping last week. Like into water. Truly amazing...the rush of falling freely in upwards of 70 feet straight down into the water is one of the keenest feelings I have.

and then there is drugs.
    this sounds enthralling and yet utterly terrifying.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Introverted Feeling (46.7)
    Extraverted Intuition (45.7)
    Introverted Intuition (37.5)
    Introverted Thinking(26.5)
    Extraverted Feeling (25.4)
    Extraverted Thinking (22.1)
    Extraverted Sensing (19.5)
    Introverted Sensing (17.0)

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    3w2

Quote Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
    Wow! .. Every day, every move, every interaction, every decision involves emotional and/or physical risk.
    Nothing really gets done with out taking chances.

Roll them bones..
    True, but I was thinking about big ones.
    "I put the fires out."
    "you made them worse."
    "worse...or better?"

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by stringstheory View Post
    this sounds enthralling and yet utterly terrifying.
    I did that once -- but I think it was only about 35 feet or so, into a quarry. My feet stung pretty bad when I hit but it was also very terrifying and exciting all at the same time.

and then there is drugs.
    I don't touch them. I'm too afraid of liking it too much and getting hooked.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

ReflecTcelfeR

I don't really ever take emotional risks. Financial risks a plenty, but I can usually convince myself that emotional risks aren't worth it in the long haul. I also don't take physical risks, I don't trust my cordination enough to do so. I am learning to take emotional risks, though they are EXTREMELY calculated risks.