User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: People's perceptions of you vs. what you really are (first impressions).

Default People's perceptions of you vs. what you really are (first impressions).

Many people before they really get to know seem to think I'm kind of prudish/uptight, really religious, and really conservative (even my ESFJ father thinks to an extent) to the point where they watch what they say around me. I must inadvertently project that image but I'm significantly different from that's quite funny.

What has your experiences been?

what I really am? I don't know who that is. I'm guessing it's a conglomeration of what I perceive myself to be, what others perceive of me, and what truth falls through the cracks.

I don't want to say I can even give any accurate impressions of what others think me to be...Older people usually comment on my decent character, peers impressions of me range from how close I am to them. Those who aren't close sometimes suggest they find me creepy, or unavailable (sometimes blatantly questioning what I do in my spare time or imply I must have no life or something). Others might find me funny, boring, who knows. I rarely try and entertain people unless I care anything about them or am forced to spend any significant amount of time with them, like coworkers and etc..

People are scared of me.

A lot of people find themselves intimidated by me, even though I feel as though I don't do anything in particular that causes them to think this way. They also see me as being a bitch because I don't beat around the bush and I will be honest with them.

I'm not scary.

People's perception of me is actually quite accurate. (Not online, that's for sure. LOL.)

But in real life, one word pops up all the time. "Fun."
    It doesn't matter if it's a client, a cashier, people on an airplane or a waitress.
    I get, "Are you always this much fun?"
    I laugh and reply, "Isn't everyone?"
    "No!" They say.

So I guess that means the people they deal with are boring SOB's.
    That's why I laughed when Trinity picked a new avatar for me of a snarling kitty. Lol.
    People know better than that about me, in real life. I always have a big grin on my face.
    I'm very expressive and enthusiastic. A ball of energy.

There's also a phrase used to describe me: "The real deal."
    That phrase has been used on me hundreds of times, especially in business.
    That's because everyone knows that I am direct, authentic, and operate with integrity.

What else, oh! How could I forget . . . "Jag can be the best friend you ever had in your life, or your worst nightmare."
    It's all true. That means, don't betray my trust or you better run for your life.

There is no disconnect in how others see me in real life, and how I see myself.
    When all else fails, claim it's rigged.

Senior Member Array Keps Mnemnosyne's Avatar

My Guess of People's First Impressions

Offline: Austere
    On this forum: Too serious or too fluffy.
    Vent: Flirtatious despite being with strict ethics.

I would associate myself as a trickster mixed in with deliberateness.
    Love wouldn't exist without loneliness to inspire it.

Peach yogurt is made of love. And gnome kidneys. - Domino

I can cope and will cope without polluting my lungs. - Saslou

Patron Saint Of Smileys Array Gloriana's Avatar

I'm usually oblivious to anyone's first impression of me, and anytime I try to guess I'm usually off base.

On the rare occasion people have actually talked to me about it, I've been surprised at how radically different their perceptions have been. Some tell me they thought I was just this fun loving goofball and had no idea I had such a strong introspective side. Some have told me they didn't like me at first because they thought I was a know-it-all and were surprised to find I readily make fun of myself.

Sometimes it doesn't bother me but sometimes it does, especially if someone draws the conclusion I'm mean-spirited somehow or uneducated/simple. I've felt very misunderstood for most of my life so I do have a preoccupation with it sometimes. I've had to develop ways to deal with it and let it go over the years but it can still be hard, especially when the 'wrong impression' can hinder opportunities for me.

I've also had to work on not giving a crap what everybody thinks. I'll get upset if someone draws the wrong conclusion at a party or something and want to prove them wrong without stopping to ask myself "Um, why do you even care?". I've had to learn not to take stuff like that so personally and waste too much time thinking about it.
    "Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get, but if you work really hard, and you're kind, amazing things will happen. I'm telling you...amazing things will happen" --Conan O'Brien

Random 1st impressions: Super nice, Outgoing, Gangster, Intimidating.

What I really am: Usually just a friendly outgoing person . I think Im genuinely nice for the most part.

One night I went to a comedy club with my roommates old stripper co workers. I introduced myself to one of them and she was super surprised. She said she liked me alot because most chicks are haters. I try to give everyone a chance, unless they are completely bitchy and retarded . To bad the night ended pretty badly. Those chicks were being super loud and belligerent, they ended up fighting with the audience, and the comedian called them out pretty hardcore...I was sitting there with my head down, embarrassing.

Anyway, I guess I can be moody sometimes....maybe thats why people think Im intimidating- they caught me in a weird mood.

The gangster impression is probably because I can be really rebellious at times .
    Fe | Ni | Se | Ti ... 3w4 ... Lawful Neutral ... Johari -Nohari

Pumpernickel Array

I always make the most ridiculous and contradictory first impressions with people. It's starting to bug me a lot...

.~ *aĉa virino* ~. Array Totenkindly's Avatar
    549 sx/sp
    LII Ni

I'd like to think IRL I'm pretty much who I am online nowadays... and pretty much who I am in general as a person. Everything is much more synced up because I stopped trying to police my image or control people's responses to me.

For a long time, though, I've gathered people thought I was much more straight-laced, quiet, status quo, aloof, and boring/bland than I actually was. I remember some people being surprised when I actually talked to them and they realized I thought deeply about everything.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    For a long time, though, I've gathered people thought I was much more straight-laced, quiet, status quo, aloof, and boring/bland than I actually was. I remember some people being surprised when I actually talked to them and they realized I thought deeply about everything.
    I think that's what people perceive me to be. I can't say that I've really actively done anything to make them think otherwise for the most part.