User Tag List

First 2345 Last

Ginkgo

No one knows what they really are.

That being said, I recently met a girl who said her first impression of me was "Intelligent but unsure of yourself." She may have been either an ESTJ or ENTJ. I think this is the impression I often give off when I am reserved or with strangers in real life.

I haven't asked any of my older friends what they think of me, simply because asking "What do you think of me?" could be perceived as a pleading urge. If I were to have a friend ask me such a thing, it would seem like a difficult and possibly drawn out assessment that couldn't really be compartmentalized into anything brief. It would also seem like they would be longing for either a 'deeper' personal connection or maybe a soul-search. I suppose it's a valid question, but asking it would disclose too much.

If I were to ask such a thing, it would skirt around the issue. For instance, "How outgoing am I?" or something of that nature. It would be easier to dig into specifics.

Now that I think about it, most people who meet me tend to ask me questions about general topics, such as history, science, or whatever. I think this probably indicates that they think I am a receptacle for knowledge or something, but it could simply mean that they don't know the answers.

Online, however, people probably see someone who is more tangential. I have been characterized for the same aspects in real life, on top of "mysterious", "attention whore", "direction-less", "multi-faceted to the point of multiple personalities", "hard to figure out" and "imaginative". I hold all of these to be true, and to be different aspects of the same person, which is me. Oh yeah, and the newest ones - "sicko" and "asexual".

I also think that the longer people know you, the more space they give you to be something other than their first impressions. This may sometimes lead to long-time friends just refraining from either praising you or diatribe-ing you because you just simply "are" to them and nothing can change that.

In addition, my ENTP friend thinks I'm, on a scale of 1-10, a 6 on the introversion/extraversion spectrum.

ReflecTcelfeR

I for a while was considered chair-sexual.

Twerking & Lurking ayoitsStepho's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 so/sx

Worlds perception:

My perception:

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    ayoitsStepho is becoming someone else. Actually her true self, a rite of passage.

Quote Originally Posted by ReflecttcelfeR View Post
    You're always erect?

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by ReflecttcelfeR View Post
    This is your brain on lap-dances.

ReflecTcelfeR

I would rub chairs while making erotic noises. My friends assumed I was having sex with the chair and they branded me with the title.

A fellow student once said to me: At first you seem very arrogant, but when one is talking with you, you are very objective.

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

I've gotten mixed first impressions from other people

First group says that they think of me as being this really cool, wise, laid back charismatic guy. I have NO IDEA where the frell they get this impression. My friend Jacqueline I remember being told after meeting me for like, 5 minutes, told me that I seem like a really cool guy. I'm flattered by the thought, but I hadn't spoken more than 5 words to her

2nd group says I come off as being overly-serious, kind of stiff, very quiet, but friendly and polite when spoken too. This I think is more in line with who I am.

I consider myself very warm and friendly, but I often keep my feelings and thoughts to myself. I try to be nice and polite to everyone because a) everyone seems to respond well to it and b) because I want to be liked. I know I can come off as being very serious or stiff but that's only because I'm really focused on something at the time and when I do, I tend to pour all of my energies on that one specific thing and blot out everything else.

Easiest way to make me feel bad is to tell me that I neglected someone's feelings about something
    "The man who is swimming against the stream knows the strength of it."
    ― Woodrow Wilson

Banned
    MBTI
    eNxp
    Enneagram
    5/7
    Socionics
    eii

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    Still, my sister is an ESFJ and thinks I'm a superhuman genius. So of all the members of my direct family, she definatly understands me best.
    This is what I love about INTPs. My best friend is an INTP. People think you guys are arrogant.

But it's not arrogant if it's true.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by vieamemusique View Post
    A lot of people find themselves intimidated by me, even though I feel as though I don't do anything in particular that causes them to think this way. They also see me as being a bitch because I don't beat around the bush and I will be honest with them.
    How do you know people feel intimidated by you? Do they tell you? Do you infer it from their behavior around you? I wonder if I sometimes have this effect on people, and perhaps that is why I get so little (more direct) feedback.

I get sufficient professional feedback at my workplace. I know my strengths and weaknesses as an employee, and generally agree with evaluations by my supervisors. It is socially, or even with random strangers in public, that I have little idea how I come across, exacerbated by the fact that I go out very little. I have been called on occasion polite, generous, overly analytical, intense, opinionated, organized, scary, responsive, practical, creative; in short, a mixed bag, and often by people who don't know me well. It is hard to pull out common threads.