User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: People's perceptions of you vs. what you really are (first impressions).

No one knows what they really are.

That being said, I recently met a girl who said her first impression of me was "Intelligent but unsure of yourself." She may have been either an ESTJ or ENTJ. I think this is the impression I often give off when I am reserved or with strangers in real life.

I haven't asked any of my older friends what they think of me, simply because asking "What do you think of me?" could be perceived as a pleading urge. If I were to have a friend ask me such a thing, it would seem like a difficult and possibly drawn out assessment that couldn't really be compartmentalized into anything brief. It would also seem like they would be longing for either a 'deeper' personal connection or maybe a soul-search. I suppose it's a valid question, but asking it would disclose too much.

If I were to ask such a thing, it would skirt around the issue. For instance, "How outgoing am I?" or something of that nature. It would be easier to dig into specifics.

Now that I think about it, most people who meet me tend to ask me questions about general topics, such as history, science, or whatever. I think this probably indicates that they think I am a receptacle for knowledge or something, but it could simply mean that they don't know the answers.

Online, however, people probably see someone who is more tangential. I have been characterized for the same aspects in real life, on top of "mysterious", "attention whore", "direction-less", "multi-faceted to the point of multiple personalities", "hard to figure out" and "imaginative". I hold all of these to be true, and to be different aspects of the same person, which is me. Oh yeah, and the newest ones - "sicko" and "asexual".

I also think that the longer people know you, the more space they give you to be something other than their first impressions. This may sometimes lead to long-time friends just refraining from either praising you or diatribe-ing you because you just simply "are" to them and nothing can change that.

In addition, my ENTP friend thinks I'm, on a scale of 1-10, a 6 on the introversion/extraversion spectrum.

I for a while was considered chair-sexual.

Twerking & Lurking Array ayoitsStepho's Avatar
    4w3 so/sx

Worlds perception:

My perception:

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    ayoitsStepho is becoming someone else. Actually her true self, a rite of passage.

Quote Originally Posted by ReflecttcelfeR View Post
    You're always erect?
    If this is the best of possible worlds, what then are the others?
    ― Voltaire, Candide

Quote Originally Posted by ReflecttcelfeR View Post
    This is your brain on lap-dances.

I would rub chairs while making erotic noises. My friends assumed I was having sex with the chair and they branded me with the title.

A fellow student once said to me: At first you seem very arrogant, but when one is talking with you, you are very objective.

9w1 sx/sp

I've gotten mixed first impressions from other people

First group says that they think of me as being this really cool, wise, laid back charismatic guy. I have NO IDEA where the frell they get this impression. My friend Jacqueline I remember being told after meeting me for like, 5 minutes, told me that I seem like a really cool guy. I'm flattered by the thought, but I hadn't spoken more than 5 words to her

2nd group says I come off as being overly-serious, kind of stiff, very quiet, but friendly and polite when spoken too. This I think is more in line with who I am.

I consider myself very warm and friendly, but I often keep my feelings and thoughts to myself. I try to be nice and polite to everyone because a) everyone seems to respond well to it and b) because I want to be liked. I know I can come off as being very serious or stiff but that's only because I'm really focused on something at the time and when I do, I tend to pour all of my energies on that one specific thing and blot out everything else.

Easiest way to make me feel bad is to tell me that I neglected someone's feelings about something
    "There is no such thing as spare time, no such thing as down time, no such thing as free time, there is only life time. Go."
    ― Henry Rollins

Banned Array

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    Still, my sister is an ESFJ and thinks I'm a superhuman genius. So of all the members of my direct family, she definatly understands me best.
    This is what I love about INTPs. My best friend is an INTP. People think you guys are arrogant.

But it's not arrogant if it's true.

Alchemist of life Array Coriolis's Avatar
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by vieamemusique View Post
    A lot of people find themselves intimidated by me, even though I feel as though I don't do anything in particular that causes them to think this way. They also see me as being a bitch because I don't beat around the bush and I will be honest with them.
    How do you know people feel intimidated by you? Do they tell you? Do you infer it from their behavior around you? I wonder if I sometimes have this effect on people, and perhaps that is why I get so little (more direct) feedback.

I get sufficient professional feedback at my workplace. I know my strengths and weaknesses as an employee, and generally agree with evaluations by my supervisors. It is socially, or even with random strangers in public, that I have little idea how I come across, exacerbated by the fact that I go out very little. I have been called on occasion polite, generous, overly analytical, intense, opinionated, organized, scary, responsive, practical, creative; in short, a mixed bag, and often by people who don't know me well. It is hard to pull out common threads.