123 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8 sx
    Socionics
    --- Te

Exclamation Traumatized by a Rat

So, imagine you're busy drifting off in your thoughts doing an activity - using the computer, watching television, or reading a magazine. Then, suddenly you spot a creepy crawly - just behind the sofa, just away in a distance, or perhaps right next to you. You're just about paying attention to it, and just as your mind is becoming increasingly aware, you're finding it bigger, furrier, and much more creepier in movement than you'd expected - and suddenly you dart on this 'thing', discover it's a RAT!

... How would you react?!

(I'm sorry, I couldn't post a pic of one.)

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Find it and kill it. Or I guess throw it outside.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

I had the same thing with a huge spider lately, which grow exemplary good in our wet basement. It all ended with me setting a deo spray on fire to kill it, cause I was so nauseated that I couldnt touch it or poke it with a stick *lol*.

Was difficult later to explain to my girlfriend how one square meter of the wall got burned :/
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Call the terminator! I mean, exterminator.

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    I had the same thing with a huge spider lately, which grow exemplary good in our wet basement. It all ended with me setting a deo spray on fire to kill it, cause I was so nauseated that I couldnt touch it or poke it with a stick *lol*.

Was difficult later to explain to my girlfriend how one square meter of the wall got burned :/
    Yet more proof of the tendency of ENTPs to overreact by flaming wildly!

Seriously, a spidey is just a spidey, and pretty harmless so far as I'm concerned unless it's a giant or highly venomous one from the countries where such things live (not a concern for me). I really have a visceral dislike of rats though, I'm not even too keen on tame pet ones. This is funny, because other rodents don't bother me at all and can even seem quite cute - it's just rats, specifically. I'm not particularly keen on tame ones just because they're rats, but really, really loathe the wild ones. This may partly stem from my being brought up on a farm and having a few run-ins with the things when I was a kid.

If I found I was sharing my living space with a rat I'd go straight after it with the nearest rat-bashing device once I'd recovered from the shock, no question. If I didn't get it, or maybe even if I did, the pest control people would be called.
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx

Knowing me... I'd try to trap it and turn it into a pet.

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    2W3
    Socionics
    EII

Rats make great pets (the domestic ones) I've had four. A wild rat though? I wouldn't mess with. I'd probably call someone in, because if there's one there might be more.

It's the house-centipedes that scare the crap out of me. I once lived in a basement apartment for two years, sometimes you'd go to move an item on the desk and this long, weavy dark thing would shoot out at you. It always made me jump and panic Silly things.

I have only dealt with mice before, but I'd imagine rats are pretty similar. When you move (like stand up or something) they usually will go back where they came from, so then I would be able to identify how it entered and block up the opening. Maybe even with like metal sheeting or something. With mice I just used that spray foam that expands and hardens as it dries. But rats may be able to chew through stuff better than mice.

You have to block off all of the access points. This has been in urban areas, though, small apartments, so easy to scan the whole area for points of entry. I have no idea if it would be different in a rural area or in a larger dwelling...

Apparently a folk remedy is that they hate the smell of mint (???)
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

i would try to catch it and have it as a pet, but my first reaction would be something like *WOW a rat, i have never seen a rat that wasnt a pet* and id start wondering how the hell it got in my apartment..
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

Oberon

I just want everyone to know that I had NOTHING to do with this. I wasn't even in the same town at the time.