First 234

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by ragashree View Post
    That's always a danger with poisoning the beggars, you've got no control over where they decide to go and die. If you haven't excluded them from the house at the point of poisoning (most rats will be living outside the house and coming in to scavenge), there's a good chance of this happening.
    Very good point. Screening off any openings to the interior of the house, even walls is a good first step. They have tough little jaws and teeth though, so you'd better get "rodent grade" screen or wire.

Also it's pretty cruel to the rat given that the major rat poisons are anticoagulents that cause a slow death by internal hemorrhaging. I'm not quite sure why anyone would consider it KINDER than a quick death by whacking or (hopefully) in a trap.
    It is less GORY, and thus appears to be less CRUEL to the meek at heart. Sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind.

I do think stopping them getting in in the first place is a priority though, however you decide to actually deal with them. Often they're coming from nearby derelict buildings or industrial areas, or the sewers. That really is the job of the authorities or whoever is responsible for where they're actually living, I would suggest. If you can't stop them getting into your home and there's a nearby population, it's likely that more will turn up even if you do manage to kill the ones that are causing the current problem.
    Calling the county is a great idea. If they won't foot the bill there are usually a ton of "critter getter" contractors in the yellow pages.

The other issue with putting anything poisoned outside, is that often you end up killing more than the one animal/type of animal you intended to.

Many dogs and cats die each year because people try to poison oppossums and raccoons.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

Oberon

That's always a danger with poisoning the beggars, you've got no control over where they decide to go and die. If you haven't excluded them from the house at the point of poisoning (most rats will be living outside the house and coming in to scavenge), there's a good chance of this happening. ...

...Also it's pretty cruel to the rat given that the major rat poisons are anticoagulents that cause a slow death by internal hemorrhaging. I'm not quite sure why anyone would consider it KINDER than a quick death by whacking or (hopefully) in a trap.
    These two points are actually related. Anticoagulant agents such as Warfarin are commonly used as rat poisons because when they kick in and the rat starts to bleed internally, he will become thirsty and seek out a water source. There's a chance that he'll leave your house in search of water and so not die in the walls... and that's why they use anticoagulants for rat poison.

Of course it doesn't always work the way it's intended.

facettes de la petite mor Words of Ivory's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

Reading this makes me feel nauseous.

So cruel.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Life calls out the meaning of pure jubilance,
    if you'll only take the time to hear it."
    ~ Words of Ivory ~

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Words of Ivory View Post
    Reading this makes me feel nauseous.

So cruel.
    Yes, it is, I agree. Living among rats is also bad.

MBTI
    INFP

I reserve the bulk of my wrath for invertebrates.