INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Words of Ivory View Post

Edit: I approve of Gloriana's plan.

Except for the extermination part.
    Oh no, I wouldn't want to have the little feller killed. Just taken away. Far away.
    "Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get, but if you work really hard, and you're kind, amazing things will happen. I'm telling you...amazing things will happen" --Conan O'Brien

Ginkgo

Exploit it and force it to pay rent.

A few seeds and kernels every month should do, but the rent can't be something you own.

They have to come from some other property.

Then you can pawn them off to sate your crack addiction.

If it doesn't pay up, you kick it out. The fact that it's a baby daddy don't matter. Rules are rules.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

If you don't eat it, I will... =^.^=

Seriously though, I'm a trap setter when I get the sense of unwanted furries in my domicile. Get the appropriate size trap, jam some bread into the bait holder and toast it so that it becomes impossible to remove with out setting off the trap. Set the trap behind a garbage can or furniture, then check the trap daily - especially after you've been out. I had two mice in an apartment once, within a week of starting to use traps I got both of them and the noise in the ceiling stopped.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

your resident asshole

A rat? I'd probably freak out, grab the longest object I could find, then start whacking it from afar. Then I'd probably realize that it wouldn't work and I'd look for a pest control number. I'd also likely leave the house and hang out on the porch. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Malice View Post
    It's the house-centipedes that scare the crap out of me. I once lived in a basement apartment for two years, sometimes you'd go to move an item on the desk and this long, weavy dark thing would shoot out at you. It always made me jump and panic Silly things.
    Those things show up in my house all the time. There must be a colony living in the attic or something. I hate them so much... they're so gross with all of their nasty legs and lightning fast speeds. :steam:

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8 sx
    Socionics
    --- Te

Quote Originally Posted by Gloriana View Post
    6. Tell rat it is an a**hole that shouldn't be in my house.

7. Apologize to rat for calling it an a**hole without having any real idea of its character, but still tell it that it should not be in my motherf***ing house.
    HAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!

(I'd imagine what the rat would think to that.)

From the Undertow CuriousFeeling's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII

When I saw the title of the thread "Traumatized by a Rat" I thought of the Little Albert Experiment:
    [YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzRHIZyV7IA"]Little Albert-Classical Conditioning[/YOUTUBE]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Johari/Nohari

“Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings -- always darker, emptier and simpler.”
    ― Friedrich Nietzsche

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    ... How would you react?!
    I would pick up "Thumper", my handy-dandy baseball bat next to my couch, and proceed to beat the furry bastard into lifelessness. I have no issues killing nuisance creatures. Rats carry diseases. Also, about 14 years ago, my Mother-in-law tried to be "nice" and poison one, instead of using a rat trap. Well, it ate the poisoned bait, and then crawled behind the dishwasher cabinet to die, and smelled foul and horrid all through Thanksgiving weekend. Sometimes violence is much easier than alternative methods of killing.

--------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Gloriana View Post
    1. Flee immediately to higher ground.

2. Soil self.

3. Feel shame.

4. Cry like a five year old girl for 30-40 seconds straight.

5. Feel more shame.

6. Tell rat it is an a**hole that shouldn't be in my house.

7. Apologize to rat for calling it an a**hole without having any real idea of its character, but still tell it that it should not be in my motherf***ing house.

8. Throw cheese and/or any nearby snack into far corner in order to tempt it to go as far away from me as possible.

9. Perform amazing acrobatic stunts walking over the tops of sofas, tables, couches, shelving, etc. to get the f**k out of there without letting feet touch 'rat tainted ground'.

10. Inform rat I feel bad about my blatant species bigotry but remind it that its kind often carries rabies, which I am not fond of.

11. Escape, quarantine rat if possible by shutting a door. If quarantining rat is not possible, proceed to quarantine self in bathroom with telephone.

12. Call exterminator.

13. Change pants.
    I can imagine the rat simply sitting there watching you while all this complicated stuff is going on with a big "WTF?" expression on its whiskers. They might be twitching a bit from the rat-sniggering that's going on too.

Quote Originally Posted by runvardh View Post
    If you don't eat it, I will... =^.^=

Seriously though, I'm a trap setter when I get the sense of unwanted furries in my domicile. Get the appropriate size trap, jam some bread into the bait holder and toast it so that it becomes impossible to remove with out setting off the trap. Set the trap behind a garbage can or furniture, then check the trap daily - especially after you've been out. I had two mice in an apartment once, within a week of starting to use traps I got both of them and the noise in the ceiling stopped.
    Rats are a lot brighter about being caught in traps than mice though and tend to be extremely wary, you have to really know what you're doing or get lucky with the stupidity of the rat or they will probably just walk straight past it. Mice, by contrast, will happily go and get caught in the same trap they've seen mummy, daddy, and mousy brother and sister caught in every day for the last week. Also, you need a very large powerful trap to be certain of killing a rat. The things tend to end up sitting around a long time if the rats don't show any interest, and can end up presenting quite a big danger to the anatomy of humans and their pets.

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    I would pick up "Thumper", my handy-dandy baseball bat next to my couch, and proceed to beat the furry bastard into lifelessness. I have no issues killing nuisance creatures. Rats carry diseases. Also, about 14 years ago, my Mother-in-law tried to be "nice" and poison one, instead of using a rat trap. Well, it ate the poisoned bait, and then crawled behind the dishwasher cabinet to die, and smelled foul and horrid all through Thanksgiving weekend. Sometimes violence is much easier than alternative methods of killing.
    That's always a danger with poisoning the beggars, you've got no control over where they decide to go and die. If you haven't excluded them from the house at the point of poisoning (most rats will be living outside the house and coming in to scavenge), there's a good chance of this happening. Also it's pretty cruel to the rat given that the major rat poisons are anticoagulents that cause a slow death by internal hemorrhaging. I'm not quite sure why anyone would consider it KINDER than a quick death by whacking or (hopefully) in a trap.

I do think stopping them getting in in the first place is a priority though, however you decide to actually deal with them. Often they're coming from nearby derelict buildings or industrial areas, or the sewers. That really is the job of the authorities or whoever is responsible for where they're actually living, I would suggest. If you can't stop them getting into your home and there's a nearby population, it's likely that more will turn up even if you do manage to kill the ones that are causing the current problem.
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...

personally, i would kill the rat, probably with my bare hands, or at least maim it. if it were a rare or endangered species i would probably kick it outside and try to figure out where it came in from. I'm not traumatized my rodents but I'd definately not want them in my home. I am aware of the diseases they carry so I don't touch them with my bare hands, i have a pile of old gardening gloves that I use to dispose of them onto a pile of burning rubbish and i burn the glove i use too. i also wear a mask and bleach any areas of the house I suspect they may have roamed around in.

edit: when i said bare hands, i mean, covered bare hands. i don't want there to be any confusion.
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

facettes de la petite mor Words of Ivory's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

People who hurt animals make me a sad panda.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Life calls out the meaning of pure jubilance,
    if you'll only take the time to hear it."
    ~ Words of Ivory ~