User Tag List

12 Last

Default Netiquette - read all the posts?

I've been posting on internet forums for many years however I can tell that on occasion my post seems kind of random because I'm only responding to the original post. Is it best to just be quiet unless you take the time to read through everything or is it OK in your opinon to just read the original post and go to the end and add your two cents worth?

Just wondering!

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by alicia91 View Post
    I've been posting on internet forums for many years however I can tell that on occasion my post seems kind of random because I'm only responding to the original post. Is it best to just be quiet unless you take the time to read through everything or is it OK in your opinon to just read the original post and go to the end and add your two cents worth?

Just wondering!
    I've done both, but occasionally I feel silly replying to the OP when I realize someone else said almost exactly what I did, only elaborated on and discussed it with other members.

So I don't think it's unacceptable, but you should definitely quote the OP if you reply directly to it rather than to the subsequent topics. The only real worry is that you might simply repeat something someone else said and sound unoriginal. I've never been told that's rude.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

Just wondering!
    I always comment when I find something that makes me want to comment! I'm not very consistent in my ways, so I do both.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    I've done both, but occasionally I feel silly replying to the OP when I realize someone else said almost exactly what I did, only elaborated on and discussed it with other members.
    I'm always paranoid about this when I post and it slows me down. I have the same problem in real life social situations.

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    The only real worry is that you might simply repeat something someone else said and sound unoriginal. I've never been told that's rude.
    That's a good point Athenian. Is it really that big a deal if it happens every once in a while?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ExTJ

It may or may not seem out of place, there are a lot of threads where the only good response someone can give is to the original post, or a post several back from the end of the thread.

I generally would consider it "good manners" to read through the whole thread, though, partially out of respect to the people who did post in the middle and might have said something interesting or good, and partially to avoid those threads where responding to the first post is a bad move to do.

This is also a big reason n that I do not like lots of chit-chat threads or fluff in threads, it makes it much harder to find the good posts.

(The "forgetting to read the whole thread' seems to causes it's biggest problems on computer game forums, where it happens a lot, and often involves various versions of "idiot" being tossed around by the person who didn't read the thread and missed some important details.)

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I read (or at least skim) all the posts but generally answer the OP rather than discuss tangents. I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I generally make sure to read through the other posts and answer the OP as well- reading through the other posts makes it easier for me to state that I agree with someone or disagree with someone- or to make a pointless comment about what someone had along with my answer!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    I read (or at least skim) all the posts but generally answer the OP rather than discuss tangents. I don't think there's anything wrong with that.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I generally make sure to read through the other posts and answer the OP as well- reading through the other posts makes it easier for me to state that I agree with someone or disagree with someone- or to make a pointless comment about what someone had along with my answer!
    Even if there are ten to twelve pages of them? How do you find time to do that and still post? I admit that I sometimes try to cheat by reading only the first and last post, perhaps skimming the rest for words that stand out, but only if the thread is too long.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ExTJ

Usually those of us who read all the posts won't have just suddenly sat down to a 10 or 12 page thread, and usually threads don't grow that quickly. Usually, reading through 1-2 pages is the most common, while 3-4 pages is as high as it usually gets, since we've been following the thread and have read the other posts as well. (It takes a lot of chit chat usually to get it higher.)

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

I am guilty as charged. I try to read most of the posts... but it gets to a point that there's so many exchanges going on that I lose track of things. And there are posts that I really want to comment on but the topic has moved on. Sometimes I quote/post anyways... most of the time I ended up not replying.