User Tag List

First 678910 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Extremely bad tipper. Tipping is uncustomary here in Italy - even when service is outstanding, tipping is something we totally do not think about (besides, places with an outstanding service usually pay their waiters quite a lot - up to 20 € / hour). We only tip pizza delivery boys. I've never been to the USA so far, but I think I'll likely try not to tip. Kind of feels like I'm offending the waiter by giving him "charity".
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

I give 20% minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Extremely bad tipper. Tipping is uncustomary here in Italy - even when service is outstanding, tipping is something we totally do not think about (besides, places with an outstanding service usually pay their waiters quite a lot - up to 20 € / hour). We only tip pizza delivery boys. I've never been to the USA so far, but I think I'll likely try not to tip. Kind of feels like I'm offending the waiter by giving him "charity".
    No you would not offend the waiter by tipping. You would more likely offend the waiter in the USA by NOT tipping... they do not make very much here, and at least some tip is expected, as part of their salary, almost. It's just different customs.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

Pumpernickel
    MBTI
    ENTJ

I'm a horrible overtipper. I'm just so used to the idea that taxes and tips will drastically raise the bill that i just put down an even number and don't bother with the math and then find out that I ended up tipping like 30-40%

MBTI
    LoLz

Quote Originally Posted by JustHer View Post
    I'm a horrible overtipper. I'm just so used to the idea that taxes and tips will drastically raise the bill that i just put down an even number and don't bother with the math and then find out that I ended up tipping like 30-40%
    I've never tipped an amount that wasn't rounded to a dollar. Do people actually tip the cents portion without rounding, like $2.50 or 3.23?

Pumpernickel
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by raz View Post
    I've never tipped an amount that wasn't rounded to a dollar. Do people actually tip the cents portion without rounding, like $2.50 or 3.23?
    lol I meant round up like if the bill is 11$ i'll just leave a 20.

Ive never seen somebody tip an exact non rounded amount like 3.23$ lol, but maybe if they're just dropping whatever change they have on them?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

It's not customary here in Sweden. Certainly not for someone to just do their job.
    You can tip bartenders if the bar is crowded so that you'll get special treatment.
    When you buy stuff in stores, some people, including me, hates the pocket change.
    I usually tell store clerks to keep the change, if it's not needed for parking or such.
    Usually don't run out of my parking money that I keep in the car, though.

Since we have a minimum wage here, tipping is a bit offensive if it's not for some sort of outstanding service.
    When it's about tiny change, it's a time-saver, but usually it's just a statement that you earn more than someone/that you're in a higher station.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

MBTI
    LoLz

Ive never seen somebody tip an exact non rounded amount like 3.23$ lol, but maybe if they're just dropping whatever change they have on them?
    Your post just sparked my question but it wasn't aimed at you. I was just curious.

I guess I'll find out more about tipping in the coming weeks. I've just started my job as a waiter. My first solo shift where I actually get tips is Thursday night. Wonder how I'll do. Haha.

Pumpernickel
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by raz View Post
    Your post just sparked my question but it wasn't aimed at you. I was just curious.

I guess I'll find out more about tipping in the coming weeks. I've just started my job as a waiter. My first solo shift where I actually get tips is Thursday night. Wonder how I'll do. Haha.
    Oh, well good luck then! Stay away from the pensioners' tables.. they'll probably think a quarter is sufficient.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx

I do this when I pay by debit card... It makes balancing the checkbook easier later...

MBTI
    INFP

I tip 20% when I am very pleased with my service. Less if I feel I'm not given proper attention. None if they are outright rude and offensive (enough so that I never return).

There is a funny bit on tipping in the Black Swan episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm.