User Tag List

First 56789 Last

MBTI
    yupp

20% is average. I hate tipping cuz i suck at math.

Banned
    MBTI
    me

I live in Australia...

and the custom is, if it's beyond what one would expect from service, you tip. If not, well.. fuck it; they are expected to do their job. Generally tipping usually occurs in more 'highbrow' situations, than low key ones too. There's not really an expectation to tip from my experience. But there is an expectation to tip when worthy.

I have tipped $20AU maximum, and that was at a French restaurant, where I had the best service I have ever received (paid $500 for the meal all up, mind you). I don't mind not requesting the change if it's below $10 or something. Other than that...

I can conceive of some reasons why it's a nice thing to do for people in the service industry, but srsly. I'm a student; I don't have much money anyway. What I tip you, could be my food allowance for the bloody week.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    20% is average. I hate tipping cuz i suck at math.
    It's easy. Take 10% of the subtotal (before taxes). This is easily accomplished by moving the decimal one spot to the left. Then double it.

So:

$58.47 subtotal
    10% is $5.85
    20% is $11.70

Or round up a bit to make it easier:

$58.47 subtotal
    10% is $6.00
    20% is $12.00

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Patches View Post

I dislike that there is an obligation to tip (in the US at least). A tip should be for performing above/beyond expectations. However, I also think it should be illegal to pay servers below minimum wage. I generally try to tip around 10-15% if they haven't screwed up. But I remain annoyed that they get away with paying servers less than minimum wage.
    I strongly agree! I'd rather have servers paid more in the first place than have to worry about the hassle of tipping. I don't like the subjectivity involved in deciding how much each server is really worth, so I tend to tip almost everyone 15%. Actually, its a little more because I round up to the nearest quarter to make the math easier. If its a really fancy restaurant or the service was truly exceptional, then I do 20% and up.

I tip even those who give bad service 15%. Being a waiter or waitress is a hard job and maybe because I'm an N type who's not so good at all those little details, I'm rather forgiving when they make mistakes like put dressing on my salad when I asked for it on the side or forgot to fill my water. I figure most of the time, they are doing their best and honestly want to do a good job. Sometimes the restaurant is insanely busy and I wonder how anyone can possibly keep track of it all. And besides even if they're not good at what they do, they still need to make enough money to pay their bills and put food on the table.

If the servers are truly lousy, people will complain to the manager or their colleagues will complain. Most of the time, the bad ones get weeded out eventually either through getting fired or through their own volition. So I don't see why its necessary that they don't get a tip or get a really low one.

I heard a story about someone who choked on their food in a restaurant and a waiter came and gave the customer the heimlich manuever, which probably saved the customer's life. The customer still only tipped 8%. Either the customer is really stingy or really lousy at math.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    LoLz

Quote Originally Posted by paradigm-shift View Post
    I strongly agree! I'd rather have servers paid more in the first place than have to worry about the hassle of tipping. I don't like the subjectivity involved in deciding how much each server is really worth, so I tend to tip almost everyone 15%. Actually, its a little more because I round up to the nearest quarter to make the math easier. If its a really fancy restaurant or the service was truly exceptional, then I do 20% and up.

I tip even those who give bad service 15%. Being a waiter or waitress is a hard job and maybe because I'm an N type who's not so good at all those little details, I'm rather forgiving when they make mistakes like put dressing on my salad when I asked for it on the side or forgot to fill my water. I figure most of the time, they are doing their best and honestly want to do a good job. Sometimes the restaurant is insanely busy and I wonder how anyone can possibly keep track of it all. And besides even if they're not good at what they do, they still need to make enough money to pay their bills and put food on the table.

If the servers are truly lousy, people will complain to the manager or their colleagues will complain. Most of the time, the bad ones get weeded out eventually either through getting fired or through their own volition. So I don't see why its necessary that they don't get a tip or get a really low one.

I heard a story about someone who choked on their food in a restaurant and a waiter came and gave the customer the heimlich manuever, which probably saved the customer's life. The customer still only tipped 8%. Either the customer is really stingy or really lousy at math.
    I don't usually care if the service is excellent. I go in the restaurant looking for specific food. The waiter is a tool to get the food, eat and get out. I couldn't care less about the experience provided by them as long as its effective enough to get their job done. Most of the time, the better food is in a sit down restaurant. So, the whole tipping thing is a side hassle.

When I think tipping someone, I think more of an entertainer. A server is not an entertainer. But, seriously, why tip someone just because they gave you the heimlich? You saved my life, so I'm going to give you monetary compensation for your....skills? Bullshit. Gratefulness is the only requirement.

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Patches View Post
    Most places don't share their tips with the cooks and busboys. I'm not tipping the people cooking the food and cleaning up after. I'm tipping the smiling face that is there to take my order and refill my drink.
    True dat.

Tipping is not expected here, the onus is on the business to pay their employees the minimum rate, at the least, and the government is responsible for setting that at a level that is supposed to be above poverty. Hand in hand with that we also have an unemployment benefits system that can set a minimum wage for an individual and if they do not earn enough in the job they have they may be eligible to get a government payment on top.

My issue with tipping is threefold:

1. The Reservoir Dogs speech covers one aspect, who decides which job is worthy of tips and which isn't? If it was based purely on earnings then great, but it's not. There are people who struggle to get by but are not in a job where superb performance will give them more money from tips. If the argument is "but the waitress deserves it because she can't earn enough to live" well guess what, other people deserve it too but don't get it because society says not to tip them. That argument is deeply flawed.

2. These business are there to make a profit, meaning those up the top of the chain would be earning more and more, stake holders too, paying their employees a liveable wage should be part of their ethical responsibility, not the responsibility of their customers.

3. And lastly, I like knowing how much something is going to cost me before I get the bill and I do not like paying more than something is worth. I don't expect that goods and services are cheaper because the business has taken your expected tip into consideration when pricing things.

Tipping out of desire is fine, tipping out of obligation is not as it takes the responsibility of ensuring workers can survive away from the corporations and government who should be taking responsibility for it.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

At least where I live, tipping is still 10% for poor to average service, while good service gets 15-20%. If you live in an oil town, then chances are you'll get a bigger tip than that. Don't know about big cities though. I think tipping has gotten to be like standing ovations. People only used to give them out when the performance was outstandingly incredible. Now, they are standard at almost everything, regardless of the quality of performance. I don't mind tipping well for extraordinary service, but I don't think people should get the same amount if they are not good at what they do.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    Tipping is not expected here, the onus is on the business to pay their employees the minimum rate, at the least, and the government is responsible for setting that at a level that is supposed to be above poverty. Hand in hand with that we also have an unemployment benefits system that can set a minimum wage for an individual and if they do not earn enough in the job they have they may be eligible to get a government payment on top.

My issue with tipping is threefold:

1. The Reservoir Dogs speech covers one aspect, who decides which job is worthy of tips and which isn't? If it was based purely on earnings then great, but it's not. There are people who struggle to get by but are not in a job where superb performance will give them more money from tips. If the argument is "but the waitress deserves it because she can't earn enough to live" well guess what, other people deserve it too but don't get it because society says not to tip them. That argument is deeply flawed.

2. These business are there to make a profit, meaning those up the top of the chain would be earning more and more, stake holders too, paying their employees a liveable wage should be part of their ethical responsibility, not the responsibility of their customers.

3. And lastly, I like knowing how much something is going to cost me before I get the bill and I do not like paying more than something is worth. I don't expect that goods and services are cheaper because the business has taken your expected tip into consideration when pricing things.

Tipping out of desire is fine, tipping out of obligation is not as it takes the responsibility of ensuring workers can survive away from the corporations and government who should be taking responsibility for it.
    Agree with all of this.

But to your first point, I don't think that's an adequate refutation. There would be no charity if we used that line of reasoning. Just because we can't help everyone in need all at once, doesn't mean we shouldn't be charitable to specific individuals who cross our path. That said, people in employment should not have to rely on charity to support themselves. I find it a bit demeaning and I always feel awkwardly condescending when I tip. It establishes an artificial power dynamic which makes me uncomfortable. (I'm already uncomfortable enough just having people wait on me.)

I do resent the fact that tips have essentially become another income stream for business and an excuse not to pay minimum wage. (This practice was thankfully banned in the UK last year.) Tips are also used as a kind of bribe. I worked in hospitality for a while and the standard practice was to retain all tips and divide them out at the end of the season (in part, as an incentive for staff to remain in their low-paying jobs). This removes the performance-related aspect completely. I left early, which meant I didn't receive any of "my" tips (not that I probably got many - you can imagine how much I suck at hospitality ).
    Because the system is so open to abuse, I'd like to see the practice abolished. But until then, I tend to do whatever is customary, mostly so as not to give offense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Kat View Post
    Dutch people don't tip.
    I know.
    I worked in a Dutch farm.
    They sliced the cheese with a special equipment.
    You could see the daylight through the slice of cheese.

One day I helped myself to another slice of cheese.
    There was not much else, tablewise.

They cried: You had another slice of cheese!

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by raz View Post
    I don't usually care if the service is excellent. I go in the restaurant looking for specific food. The waiter is a tool to get the food, eat and get out. I couldn't care less about the experience provided by them as long as its effective enough to get their job done. Most of the time, the better food is in a sit down restaurant. So, the whole tipping thing is a side hassle.

When I think tipping someone, I think more of an entertainer. A server is not an entertainer. But, seriously, why tip someone just because they gave you the heimlich? You saved my life, so I'm going to give you monetary compensation for your....skills? Bullshit. Gratefulness is the only requirement.
    I feel exactly the same way.

To answer the thread, I'm a pretty shitty tipper honestly. Unless I really was impressed by them.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)