First 45678 Last

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Le Fay View Post
    You win Most ISTJ post of the year.
    I'm not sure if this post was supposed to make me so proud/happy, but it did. I feel like I need an award to display in my avatar or something now.
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by MDP2525 View Post
    We have to declare our cash tips as well. Waitresses work ten times harder than cashiers. You just do.
    It was an example, let's say fast food worker then, or some other shitty minimum wage job. Some places they work crazy hard, just as much as a waitress and in a harsher environment with no tips. I can't really feel sorry for the overworked waitresses here, especially when they make a killing. That it sucks, I have no doubt, but so do most other unskilled, uneducated jobs, and a lot of them suck more. I know in some states they make really bad wages and they need their tips to survive, obviously that's different, but here the minimum wage is 10.25 and servers get 8.90 - I've never left below a 1.35 tip for any meal, obviously they wouldn't have trouble making $1.35 in an hour serving multiple tables with multiple people, even if 10-15% of those people don't tip.

If you're sitting down eating and the meal was good and service was good - 20% is normal. Anything less is disheartening and anything more is much appreciated.
    So everyone I've ever met who says 15% is standard is wrong?

even wikipedia tells me the average in Canada at least is 15. Maybe not in the states though? That's weird, everything I've ever heard says 15 - a common rule of thumb I've heard is 10% for bad service, 15% average, 20% good, though I almost never go below 15 anyway.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    I have to tip more for a Long Island Iced Tea than for a beer although each comes in one glass?
    It's going to come in a glass no matter what. The general rule is a dollar a drink/beer. If you start a tab and accumulate drinks that way, at the end of the night either a dollar a drink or 20% of the tab. Whichever is more appropriate considering your level of service. For instance, you drink two L.I.'s and stay at your bar seat for 3 hours. Dude. Tip five bucks. You drink two L.I.'s and are moving about. Two bucks. I know it seems weird but if you are hogging prime territory for money making - make it worth the bartender's while. Normally, a dollar a drink will be appropriate.
    ~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    It was an example, let's say fast food worker then, or some other shitty minimum wage job. Some places they work crazy hard, just as much as a waitress and in a harsher environment with no tips. I can't really feel sorry for the overworked waitresses here, especially when they make a killing. That it sucks, I have no doubt, but so do most other unskilled, uneducated jobs, and a lot of them suck more. I know in some states they make really bad wages and they need their tips to survive, obviously that's different, but here the minimum wage is 10.25 and servers get 8.90 - I've never left below a 1.35 tip for any meal, obviously they wouldn't have trouble making $1.35 in an hour serving multiple tables with multiple people, even if 10-15% of those people don't tip.

So everyone I've ever met who says 15% is standard is wrong?

even wikipedia tells me the average in Canada at least is 15. Maybe not in the states though? That's weird, everything I've ever heard says 15 - a common rule of thumb I've heard is 10% for bad service, 15% average, 20% good, though I almost never go below 15 anyway.
    U.S. 20% is normal now. Been so for a while. Don't listen to Oprah. Servers get below minimum wage in the US. It's like 4 or 5 bucks now. I don't know about Canada.
    ~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

MBTI
    LoLz

I'm personally not a big fan of tipping. I mean, why put the waiter's income in my hands? Screw that. Then I have to figure out what to give for other people to think it's right? I've taken 15% as the average expected and gone with that, because I don't think it deserves anymore thought. I mean, I don't tip the cashier at the department store for giving me better service, or the girl at Starbucks for being extra friendly, so what's the difference? I want to expect tips at my department store for doing more than I'm asked. Too bad that won't go over well.

I've recently started a part time side job as a waiter, and I'll have my first solo shift next week, so I'll see how it is. I walk into a restaurant usually looking for a specific dish, and that's all I'm interested in. I'm not interested in the waitress giving me a fake smile. I'm not interested in faster service. I want normal speed, and the food I came in for. Suddenly the dinner I go in for for $10 has to become $15? I'd rather walk out and go find fast food.

I highest tip I remember giving was 1,70 €.

Lungs & Lips Locked Unkindloving's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    ENFj

I leave 20% normally. It fluctuates depending on if I liked the service/server or not. They really have to fail or be rude to get below that.

My INFP tips the gas station attendants (New Jersey for the.. win/fail?), but I've never bothered to. It's likely because she is from Cali originally.
    Hang on traveling woman - Don't sacrifice your plan
    Cause it will come back to you - Before you lose it on the man

.:: DWTWD ::.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2011 TypeC Exercise Challenge - My Weekly Goals: Cardio 4x. Yoga/Pilates 1x. Pushups 70.

There is this thing keeping everyone's lungs and lips locked - It is called fear and it's seeing a great renaissance

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4~9

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    its not common to give tip where i live, so i dont do that at all. dunno if that makes me a bad tipper
    Same - however if it is a REALLY fancy one you better tip..

When I was in London I got annoyed that some places they take 10-15% extra on the bill..

I mean, don't they work to earn money? and as said, why pay when service is bad?

I hate paying tips - but i do it, if service is good. I want tips when i work too.. why don't people give tips to people working at a grocery store? .... >_<
    "...Have you fallen in love with the wrong person yet?"
    Jace said, "Unfortunately, Lady of the Haven, my one true love remains myself."
    "At least," she said, "you don't have to worry about rejection, Jace Wayland"
    "Not necessarily. I turn myself down occasionally, just to keep it interesting"

- The City Of Bones

Here is my blog where I post my thoughts and feelings. Please have a go and comment if you like.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    No clue? How do you know you're tipping well then?
    LoL, I can answer this. I have no concept of how much of a percentage I am giving them... But when I paid and left the tip and my fiance says "Holy shit, do you know how much of a tip you just gave them?" :steam: I take it as being way more than his 15% no more, no less attitude would have.

I've had a lot of friends who were servers... And I've seen there "paychecks" and I know without good tips they are screwed financially.

L'anima non dimora Donna Cecilia's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Socionics
    LII

I tip 30% when they deserve it.

As for the rest, I give a 15%.

The only times I don´t tip is when it comes included in the price. Or when the service is awful.

"An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise."
    Victor Hugo

LII/INTj (Analyst) - 1w9 Sp/Sx - RC|O|EI - Melancholy/Choleric