User Tag List

First 34567 Last

The Duchess of Oddity Queen Kat's Avatar
    MBTI
    E.T.
    Enneagram
    7w8

Dutch people don't tip.
    I was sitting outside the classroom waiting to go in, and I saw an airplane hit the tower. The TV was obviously on. I used to fly myself and I said, "There's one terrible pilot."
    - George W. Bush -

SCUAI - 7w8 sx/sp - Chaotic Evil - Fucking Cute - ALIVE

Blog. Read it, bitches.
    Questions? Click here
    If you don't agree about my MBTI type, you can complain about it here. I've had plenty of people telling me I'm something else, in my reputation box. That's annoying.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Generally at least 20% unless the service was pretty bad. Then we usually still leave at least 15%.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    2W3
    Socionics
    EII

the 15% that's standard, and a bit extra if they were fantastic.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I always stick pretty close to 15%. I've only not left a tip once and it was outrageously bad service. I'm pretty sure waitresses are raking in the dough here though - everyone's socially pressured into leaving at least 15% and while they do make below minimum wage here, it's not much below it - a single 15% tip from an average meal (2+ people) puts them above minimum wage for the hour, and with multiple tables they're often well above it. I never got what made waitresses at some cheap restaurant so much more deserving than a cashier making minimum wage. Some of them may work harder, but definitely not all of them. meh.
    -end of thread-

I usually tip 15-20%. I'll leave a dollar at my locally owned coffee shop and japanese take-out.

I view eating out as a luxury. When I spend money on a luxury I expect great service. I think it's hard to motivate wait staff to provide good service when few waiters and waitresses stay in their jobs for very long. The only way to motivate wait staff seems to be by using a tip as a carrot.

While in the UK last year I ate at a variety of restaurants and generally found the service poor compared to US restaurants. Ironically the worst service was at a US themed steak house... at the time it seemed like a good way to celebrate July 4th.

edit: Also the fact that people can make a good amount of money doing the "menial" work of serving food is a great indication of why having luxury industries is a good thing.

Ftr, I'm not rich. I haven't made over 20k in a calendar year during the last 8 years.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

For years I wondered how people in films, reaching into their pockets for mere seconds, always seem to know in advance how much money they have to pay for a taxi ride, because they never get change.

ReflecTcelfeR

I'm too frivilous... I feel that most of the time I make it difficult for waiters to wait on me at which I usually pay for two meals even though I only ate one. I don't like to be inconvienant and not care about it. So it's my way of saying I'm sorry, but it's who I am .

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    I always stick pretty close to 15%. I've only not left a tip once and it was outrageously bad service. I'm pretty sure waitresses are raking in the dough here though - everyone's socially pressured into leaving at least 15% and while they do make below minimum wage here, it's not much below it - a single 15% tip from an average meal (2+ people) puts them above minimum wage for the hour, and with multiple tables they're often well above it. I never got what made waitresses at some cheap restaurant so much more deserving than a cashier making minimum wage. Some of them may work harder, but definitely not all of them. meh.
    We have to declare our cash tips as well. Waitresses work ten times harder than cashiers. You just do. People who think that it's a busy restaurant and the waitress is probably making enough money, etc....eh....all I know is that I don't get tipped on maybe 10-15% of my transactions daily. A beer they paid for and left nothing. Repeat 10 times. Then you have the people who pay for a beer that's $3.50 and leave you $4 or $40 dollar tab and them leaving $5 dollars. You better believe you are working for every single dollar and you can't let the hard work you put in to that table affect your service for any other customer. It really is a mental toughness you have to have. Like I said, much harder than a cashier who knows when and where they're money is coming from and just how much they are getting for their day's work.

General rule for US tipping:

If a server is rude and their (as opposed to say, the kitchen crashing) service is horrible - don't tip. I've asked for other servers when this is the case because I want to enjoy my meal and tip the person.

If you're paying as you go - a dollar a beer is normal. If you say, "I'll get you at the end" *shakes head* You probably won't get served that quickly. People who do this generally are trying to get out of tipping and don't end up doing what they say.

If you're sitting down eating and the meal was good and service was good - 20% is normal. Anything less is disheartening and anything more is much appreciated.

That's all I expect when serving or bartending but it's surprising just how inconsistent people are when you go out. That's why people who are good tippers are fawned over.
    ~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

Quote Originally Posted by MDP2525 View Post
    If you're sitting down eating and the meal was good and service was good - 20% is normal. Anything less is disheartening and anything more is much appreciated.
    I have to tip more for a Long Island Iced Tea than for a beer although each comes in one glass?

MBTI
    a
    Enneagram
    a
    Socionics
    a

The restaurant has given me a big discount the last time I went there. It is maybe because it is their one way of treating good the repeat customers. I have been going to this restaurant for years now because I am happy and satisfied to everything about it.
    Last edited by JayC; 08-20-2010 at 05:17 AM.
    online Restaurant