INT_

Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    i can feeel it..

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

We don't tip in NZ unless the you think the service was particularly exceptional and even then no one expects it. I prefer it this way too. I'm actually opposed to tipping: I find in annoying, inconvenient and hate that I have to pay for service when it should come free. Also I believe that people in the service industry should be paid a reasonable, consistant wage and that they shouldn't have to beg and grovel to be earn a living.

I really found the whole tipping thing strange when I travelled. I had difficulty getting it into my head that when a menu says an item costs this much, that I had to mentally add the tip onto that. And being on a budget, it was irritating when I regularly spent more than I intended because I forgot to do this or simply miscalculated. Then the whole thing when you sit there afterwards considering what percentage would be an appropriate tip (and consult you travel guide to learn how much is standard in that city/country) and work out how much that will be etc etc - its so stupid and unnecessary. Come on! I don't want to have to do mathematics every time I have a meal!
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Abstract Thinker View Post
    Good question. Why? They work hard and are doing you a great service. Cooking (and cleaning up after), is a lot of work.
    I feel like prefacing this by saying that I've been a waitress in the past. People constantly complained about how the tourists tip so shitty. I felt like I was making more than such a menial task deserved most days. And I was not a friendly waitress, I should never be in customer service ever.

Most places don't share their tips with the cooks and busboys. I'm not tipping the people cooking the food and cleaning up after. I'm tipping the smiling face that is there to take my order and refill my drink.

I mentioned in my first post that tipping should be for services above/beyond expectations. The ONLY reason I bother tipping at all is because it's fucked up that they earn below minimum wage. So if I'm in the restaurant for roughly an hour..... Lets assume with 3-4 people. If I give them 7.25 as a tip hypothetically, thats minimum wage right there. On top of what they get paid, on top of whatever the other tables she's simultaneously working tip her.

If you're working four 4-tops at once at a place like Outback or something, figure roughly an 80$ check. Thats 12$ a table at 15% times 4 tables is 48$ for people staying for (rounding up) 2 hours. 24 dollars an hour for only 4 tables. And if they're ordering drinks? It adds up quickly.

Especially if they're not a particularly great server, thats more than enough for such a menial job. On a weekend when people were ordering drinks I could walk away from an 8 hour shift with 300$. Thats 37.50 an hour. Including slow days, I made an average around 15-18$ per hour overall.

Sorry, but that job doesn't deserve 15$ an hour.
    Last edited by Patches; 10-09-2011 at 12:09 PM.
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5&4 sx
    Socionics
    INFj

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    We don't tip in NZ unless the you think the service was particularly exceptional and even then no one expects it. I prefer it this way too. I'm actually opposed to tipping: I find in annoying, inconvenient and hate that I have to pay for service when it should come free. Also I believe that people in the service industry should be paid a reasonable, consistant wage and that they shouldn't have to beg and grovel to be earn a living.

I really found the whole tipping thing strange when I travelled. I had difficulty getting it into my head that when a menu says an item costs this much, that I had to mentally add the tip onto that. And being on a budget, it was irritating when I regularly spent more than I intended because I forgot to do this or simply miscalculated. Then the whole thing when you sit there afterwards considering what percentage would be an appropriate tip (and consult you travel guide to learn how much is standard in that city/country) and work out how much that will be etc etc - its so stupid and unnecessary. Come on! I don't want to have to do mathematics every time I have a meal!
    Now I wished I lived in the Zealand!

In the States, they've started adding gratuity to our bill. So, even if your waiter or waitress provided the worst service you've ever had he/she still gets tipped It's ridiculous.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Personally I think it's totally ghey that servers in many states don't even make half of minimum wage and therefore are dependent upon the whims of the public for their money. It would be nice if everyone tipped fairly (tipping well for good service, tipping badly for not) but the truth is that I've heard people say shit like "oh these people make ten bucks an hour we don't need to tip them" and it's like, yeah, no, they're making $2.15 an hour. Unless you're in like CA, NV, or NY, and that's just because the standard of living is so much higher in those states, truthfully.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

pretty bad to be honest. i just put out whatever money is handy without calculating 10% or whatever, if ive got a pocketful of coins, they get the lot. if i have a loose 5 in my pocket, same goes for that. im just inconsistent.
    my etsy Morphochroma

I know you think I'm crazy,
    but most people they can't tell.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

I average 15%. I won't hesitate to stiff someone if they are really bad though or give them a 25% tip if they are really good, and I'm always a lot more generous with breakfast because they work their asses off for not so much money in the morning.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    EII

i also dislike that tipping has become a necessity when going out to eat, but yes i usually tip at least 15%.

I and most of my friends work in food service of some sorts, so we can get a little critical (i get really bitchy when no one refills my drink) but it rarely translates into a poor tip. Except at this one sushi bar we like to go to because it's really cheap..the quality of service can be really inconsistent so if it gets really bad we don't have any reservations about leaving a poor tip, or even none at all. the place has a really high turnover rate anyway. normally we'd never go back to such a place but, well...it's one of those otherwise charming local places that make you feel all nostalgic.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Introverted Feeling (46.7)
    Extraverted Intuition (45.7)
    Introverted Intuition (37.5)
    Introverted Thinking(26.5)
    Extraverted Feeling (25.4)
    Extraverted Thinking (22.1)
    Extraverted Sensing (19.5)
    Introverted Sensing (17.0)

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Patches View Post
    So there is a lot of generalization about tipping - Men are better tippers than women, teenagers and foreigners are the worst, etc etc. I wonder if there is any consistency with tipping across types. A friend of mine compared my bad tipping habits with ISTJ's trait of being poor at giving praise.

I dislike that there is an obligation to tip (in the US at least). A tip should be for performing above/beyond expectations. However, I also think it should be illegal to pay servers below minimum wage. I generally try to tip around 10-15% if they haven't screwed up. But I remain annoyed that they get away with paying servers less than minimum wage.
    They get away because of the tip.
    It does not mean you should tip less.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Patches View Post
    I feel like prefacing this by saying that I've been a waitress in Myrtle Beach, SC in the past. People constantly complained about how the tourists tip so shitty. I felt like I was making more than such a menial task deserved most days. And I was not a friendly waitress, I should never be in customer service ever.

Most places don't share their tips with the cooks and busboys. I'm not tipping the people cooking the food and cleaning up after. I'm tipping the smiling face that is there to take my order and refill my drink.

I mentioned in my first post that tipping should be for services above/beyond expectations. The ONLY reason I bother tipping at all is because it's fucked up that they earn below minimum wage. So if I'm in the restaurant for roughly an hour..... Lets assume with 3-4 people. If I give them 7.25 as a tip hypothetically, thats minimum wage right there. On top of what they get paid, on top of whatever the other tables she's simultaneously working tip her.

If you're working four 4-tops at once at a place like Outback or something, figure roughly an 80$ check. Thats 12$ a table at 15% times 4 tables is 48$ for people staying for (rounding up) 2 hours. 24 dollars an hour for only 4 tables. And if they're ordering drinks? It adds up quickly.

Especially if they're not a particularly great server, thats more than enough for such a menial job. On a weekend when people were ordering drinks I could walk away from an 8 hour shift with 300$. Thats 37.50 an hour. Including slow days, I made an average around 15-18$ per hour overall.

Sorry, but that job doesn't deserve 15$ an hour.
    You win Most ISTJ post of the year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.