User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

Tipping is definitely a cultural thing. Here in the US, people who are tipped are paid less by their employers (in fact, they have a lower legal minimum wage). Therefore, it has become more of a expectation than a way to say "you've done an exceptional job." A 15% tip is considered standard for a waiter/waitress in a sit-down restaurant with table service. Cabbies are often tipped at around 15% as well. One often tips a bartender $1 or $2 per drink or 15% for the bill.

Personally, at a restaurant I usually aim for around 20%. I will do 15% for nearly adequate service. Usually it takes activity hostility or gross incompetence before I'll tip lower than that.

Tipping is an odd thing, though. It's one of those cases were extra is expected. I suppose on the plus side it's a way to give direct feedback about the worth of someone's work.

EDIT: I would totally suck as a waiter, so I am extra-appreciative of those who do a good job.

I don't mind tipping at table service restaurants and bars, that's only fair. But I CANNOT ABIDE those people at Starbucks and ice cream parlors and takeout places that put out tip jars. If I'm a regular at one of these places I do it anyway to avoid blowback, but that is out of bounds. Ten years ago this never, ever happened. What's next, a tip jar at the police station or the doctor's office?
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Once you have waited tables you become very appreciative of good service, and irritated by bad service.

If someone does everything right, I tip them big time, and I tell them they did everything right.

If someone screws up serving my meal, then I still tip them 20%, but tell them what they did that was not ideal.

Guess what? In either case, when you return to the same restaurant, you will be treated like a King. I don't go out alot, but when I do I am very picky, and end up frequenting places that have items of good quality, and a staff that gives good service. When they realize that you are a generous patron, they usually go to great lengths to make your experience there first rate. That's what I've found anyway.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    INFp

Quote Originally Posted by Seymour View Post
    Here in the US, people who are tipped are paid less by their employers (in fact, they have a lower legal minimum wage). Therefore, it has become more of a expectation than a way to say "you've done an exceptional job."
    This. Thanks for saying it so well. You saved me the trouble.

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    You live in the same area I do, you're undertipping.
    Yeah, like I said... I'm a notoriously bad tipper. The good news is, generally I'm with my significant other and he always pays and ends up tipping 25%+. Then I give him shit for it. And my best friend will always open his wallet and add to the tip I leave if he doesn't think I left enough.

A couple times (2-3) we've had waiters that really made us laugh, and my SO gave them like a 35% tip. I remember a waiter bringing him a diet coke once, turning around to help another table, and when he turned back to us my SO had downed the entire drink already. The waiter just stood there dumbfounded. He goes, "Hold on, I know what to do for you." And comes back with 3 glasses of diet coke for him. We laughed so hard. Probably the most charismatic waiter we've ever had.
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by Patches View Post
    Yeah, like I said... I'm a notoriously bad tipper.
    Why?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    INFp

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Why?
    Good question. Why? They work hard and are doing you a great service. Cooking (and cleaning up after), is a lot of work.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

i generally tip well. no clue about percentages.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    i generally tip well. no clue about percentages.
    No clue? How do you know you're tipping well then?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

i can feeel it..

haha...no really i suck at percentages but i have a good feel for how much...probably from watching my sister who was a waiter tip.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison