User Tag List

First 2101112

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Gen View Post
    Regarding this, not caring about service: fine, go to McDonalds, get take out at restaurants and learn how to cook. Most people do go to restaurants for the service. Especially people who like good food and can cook at home anyway. People who do stuff at home go out for a break. My husband and I can cook practically anything that we can get at any restaurant but that's not why we go out. We go out because there's no effort in going out. We dont' have to bother that day buying the food, cooking it, cleaning up after or anthing. If you don't mind doing all that shit and you don't care about service, good, stay home!
    I eat in restaurants for two primary reasons: (1) I am travelling, and want more substantial or different food from what is available as fast food. (2) I want a treat, which for me is trying some kind of food that is different from what I make myself or usually get. If I enjoy it, I may, indeed, learn to cook it myself. In this way, eating out is a way to broaden my culinary horizions. In both cases, though, I am NOT there for the service. I expect my food served in a reasonable time, with all necessary accoutrements, but would be more than happy to do that myself. In fact, I tend to resent when wait staff come by to check on the meal, fill water, ask if we want dessert, etc. It feels almost intrusive, and often interrupts whatever discussion I and my companion(s) are involved in. I would much prefer to be left alone and can easily ask for anything I need (or fetch it myself, if made available).

That being said, I understand wait staff work hard and are expected to get a significant portion of their income from tips. If I am served well and unobtrusively, I tip very well, since I have a decent salary and can afford it.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    In fact, I tend to resent when wait staff come by to check on the meal, fill water, ask if we want dessert, etc. It feels almost intrusive, and often interrupts whatever discussion I and my companion(s) are involved in.
    I feel the same way when I'm a customer at a restaurant, but when I'm waitressing I've learned that I have to check back a lot. Most people would be very offended if you don't come back to refill their water or ask about their food. My restaurant has a policy that you have to check back a minimum of 8 times in a meal.

Of course, I'm beginning to feel like the quality of service I give has little to no correlation to what kind of tip I receive, either. I've had people as they leave the restaurant come up to me and tell me how great the service was, how good their food was, etc, and I go back to their table to find that they've left me a buck or two for a $100 meal. WTF

Also, I have to add that I never expect a tip for a take-out order, but it certainly makes my night when someone gives me one. Even a dollar or two is really nice. I usually look for those people and give them extra bread or something next time they come in.

MBTI
    LoLz

Quote Originally Posted by Dyoni View Post
    I feel the same way when I'm a customer at a restaurant, but when I'm waitressing I've learned that I have to check back a lot. Most people would be very offended if you don't come back to refill their water or ask about their food. My restaurant has a policy that you have to check back a minimum of 8 times in a meal.
    My restaurant promotes team service and tells everyone to walk around the entire restaurant if your tables don't need something to check other tables for refills, empty plates, along with empty tables that need to be cleaned. If you're not walking around checking on tables, the manager or supervisor will notice and tell you to go check for drink refills and pre-bussing.

I try to keep up with it, but I'm still fine tuning harassment vs. service. One thing I'm working on is finding points where I can see my table from afar and check for drinks/plates without getting too close.

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Socionics
    LII

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    I eat in restaurants for two primary reasons: (1) I am travelling, and want more substantial or different food from what is available as fast food. (2) I want a treat, which for me is trying some kind of food that is different from what I make myself or usually get. If I enjoy it, I may, indeed, learn to cook it myself. In this way, eating out is a way to broaden my culinary horizions. In both cases, though, I am NOT there for the service. I expect my food served in a reasonable time, with all necessary accoutrements, but would be more than happy to do that myself. In fact, I tend to resent when wait staff come by to check on the meal, fill water, ask if we want dessert, etc. It feels almost intrusive, and often interrupts whatever discussion I and my companion(s) are involved in. I would much prefer to be left alone and can easily ask for anything I need (or fetch it myself, if made available).

That being said, I understand wait staff work hard and are expected to get a significant portion of their income from tips. If I am served well and unobtrusively, I tip very well, since I have a decent salary and can afford it.
    Yes, yes and more yes. On another note, America needs some waiter-less restaurants and restaurants where you can digitally order your food.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Qlippoth View Post
    I tip 10% for bad service 15% for decent and 20% for good.
    This.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6

I do about 15% but I don't know why it has anything to do with percentage really. I just do it to be nice really, and I play along with the 15% number. Sometimes I go higher. I probably tip higher when my wife isn't there, but I probably also get better service then too (this is not a statement about my wife). Or maybe I just don't care as much and I perceive better service than she does.

Maybe one day I'll leave a $100 tip at a really cheap place just to make someone's day. I should do that. Around the holidays this year maybe.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6

I once went to a restaurant where the service was terrible but they charged a mandatory 18% tip for everyone that walked in the door. It pissed me off when I got the bill, especially because there was a line to write in an additional tip. In the extra line I wrote in a negative amount to subtract out the mandatory tip but when my card went through they still ran it as the full amount. I'm still kind of pissed about it. That place was on the coast in New Orleans and I kind of hope they went out of business.

MBTI
    ISFJ

I think the tip system is the most stupid thing in the whole world. Next to Fidel Castro.