User Tag List

First 9101112 Last

Results 101 to 110 of 118

  1. #101
    Pose! Salt n' pepper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Posts
    2,008

    Default

    We don't really tip in our country.
    But if the service was good, I'll show a little cleavage.

  2. #102
    XES 5231311252's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Socionics
    LII
    Posts
    450

    Default

    I don't like restaurants in the first place and I don't like basically having to tip people. I'd be more than willing to get my own food, my own drink and my own condiments. I could also do a better job at entertaining myself. However, there are times when associates want to go out, so in those instances I tip 15%-20%. And if it's shitty service, they'll get a shitty tip.

  3. #103
    Freaking Ratchet Rail Tracer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,041

    Default

    Generally 10-15% or so for standard or not so good service. Usually some more for the ones that actually do/try to do a good job. I am not that demanding of a person. I usually order an item from the menu (sometimes with a little deviation), a drink, and I'm pretty much done.

    The issue is mainly on how the waiter/waitress acts. The waiter/waitress may have had a tough time, but don't take it out on me. I don't try to make the person feel like I am the bane of the his/her existence.

  4. #104
    Let's make this showy! raz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    LoLz
    Posts
    2,523

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gen View Post
    But they didn't just take it from the kitchen to the register. They took time away from their paying tables to get all the food together with all the stuff it needs (condiments, napkins, utensils). Boxed and bagged it up, got the bill totalled and then brought it out to the register. I've ended up way behind on my tables just trying to get a take out order ready.

    Sometimes places designate people in take-out for the night. But they don't all do that.
    At the restaurant I work at, takeout is rang in by the bartender, prepared and bagged by the kitchen with all the necessary condiments/utensils and brought out to the bartender by a server. There are 3 people involved in the process, and the person in the kitchen does the most work. Other restaurants may vary in the process. Likely, the bartender gets the entire tip. All he did was take the order, ring it in and greet the customer as they came in to pick it up.

    Quote Originally Posted by 5231311252 View Post
    I don't like restaurants in the first place and I don't like basically having to tip people. I'd be more than willing to get my own food, my own drink and my own condiments. I could also do a better job at entertaining myself. However, there are times when associates want to go out, so in those instances I tip 15%-20%. And if it's shitty service, they'll get a shitty tip.
    I feel the same way. Is it prepared and ready in the kitchen? Is there a place nearby to refill drinks? I'd have no problem doing that on my own. Again, I go in a dine-in restaurant for the food, not the service.


  5. #105
    Senior Member Gen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    319

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by raz View Post
    I feel the same way. Is it prepared and ready in the kitchen? Is there a place nearby to refill drinks? I'd have no problem doing that on my own. Again, I go in a dine-in restaurant for the food, not the service.
    I'm not picking on you because tons of people have said this, just using you for the quote.

    Regarding this, not caring about service: fine, go to McDonalds, get take out at restaurants and learn how to cook. Most people do go to restaurants for the service. Especially people who like good food and can cook at home anyway. People who do stuff at home go out for a break. My husband and I can cook practically anything that we can get at any restaurant but that's not why we go out. We go out because there's no effort in going out. We dont' have to bother that day buying the food, cooking it, cleaning up after or anthing. If you don't mind doing all that shit and you don't care about service, good, stay home!

  6. #106
    filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Posts
    3,272

    Default

    There's different tipping cultures. In Finland, the "tip" is included in the price, but people may give tip for extraordinary service. I do, sometimes - when it is extraordinary. About 1-2% of the time.

    When I visit some country with an existent tipping culture, I do tip. I tip as low as 5% for bad service, and leave out the tip for abysmally bad service. Usually I tip around 8-12% though. I still often get the feeling that I'm expected to pay for service that wasn't there.

    IOW, I think I tip with almost no bias at all. I try to reward the person according to his/her performance, and it averages to what's expected of the waitress/waiter in general in that country.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  7. #107
    is an ambi-turner BRMC117's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    3w2
    Posts
    841

    Default

    I'm good...If I remember...
    "I put the fires out."
    "you made them worse."
    "worse...or better?"

  8. #108
    XES 5231311252's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Socionics
    LII
    Posts
    450

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gen View Post
    I'm not picking on you because tons of people have said this, just using you for the quote.

    Regarding this, not caring about service: fine, go to McDonalds, get take out at restaurants and learn how to cook. Most people do go to restaurants for the service. Especially people who like good food and can cook at home anyway. People who do stuff at home go out for a break. My husband and I can cook practically anything that we can get at any restaurant but that's not why we go out. We go out because there's no effort in going out. We dont' have to bother that day buying the food, cooking it, cleaning up after or anthing. If you don't mind doing all that shit and you don't care about service, good, stay home!
    If these people go for the food, why would they go to Macdonalds?

  9. #109
    Emerging Tallulah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    6,028

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by raz View Post
    At the restaurant I work at, takeout is rang in by the bartender, prepared and bagged by the kitchen with all the necessary condiments/utensils and brought out to the bartender by a server. There are 3 people involved in the process, and the person in the kitchen does the most work. Other restaurants may vary in the process. Likely, the bartender gets the entire tip. All he did was take the order, ring it in and greet the customer as they came in to pick it up.

    Yeah, and at my local Thai place, the stuff is bagged up in the kitchen, then it sits on the counter and whoever is free rings you up. It's not like someone has been assigned to your order. Plus, they have not waited on me for an hour while I dine in the restaurant, checked to see if my drink needed refilling or needed anything else, etc. I'm not a stingy tipper, but I'm not giving 20% of my bill when I didn't dine in their restaurant. Putting stuff in a bag with a packet of plasticware isn't the same as waiting tables. There will be plenty of other times when I will dine in, and will be more than happy to tip.
    Something Witty

  10. #110

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gen View Post
    Regarding this, not caring about service: fine, go to McDonalds, get take out at restaurants and learn how to cook. Most people do go to restaurants for the service. Especially people who like good food and can cook at home anyway. People who do stuff at home go out for a break. My husband and I can cook practically anything that we can get at any restaurant but that's not why we go out. We go out because there's no effort in going out. We dont' have to bother that day buying the food, cooking it, cleaning up after or anthing. If you don't mind doing all that shit and you don't care about service, good, stay home!
    You nailed it. +1.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    Yeah, and at my local Thai place, the stuff is bagged up in the kitchen, then it sits on the counter and whoever is free rings you up. It's not like someone has been assigned to your order. Plus, they have not waited on me for an hour while I dine in the restaurant, checked to see if my drink needed refilling or needed anything else, etc. I'm not a stingy tipper, but I'm not giving 20% of my bill when I didn't dine in their restaurant. Putting stuff in a bag with a packet of plasticware isn't the same as waiting tables. There will be plenty of other times when I will dine in, and will be more than happy to tip.
    I agree completely. Table service is completely different from bagging something up and ringing it. You get just as much personal attention from a supermarket checker, a post office worker, or people in any number of service jobs that don't receive tips.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

    Johari
    /Nohari

Similar Threads

  1. Are you a good driver?
    By Giggly in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 05-28-2012, 10:26 PM
  2. are you a good wife?
    By INTP in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 97
    Last Post: 07-05-2010, 07:17 PM
  3. [Fe] Are you a good driver?
    By Travo7 in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 12-25-2008, 12:13 AM
  4. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-15-2007, 07:50 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO