User Tag List

First 89101112 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

I tend to tip well, because I know that being a waitress is a difficult and frustrating job. I've had many friends in college who were waitresses, and I recently started a second job as a waitress. It's actually more difficult than I expected, especially for an introvert.

I pretty much always give 20%, unless the service was extremely rude. Then I would usually just leave 10%. I also think of $5 as a minimum tip for a meal, even if 20% is less. A coffee shop I'll usually just leave a buck or two for the barista.

Also, my limited experience as a waitress leaves me confused as to how to get a good tip. I've served some tables in what I would consider a perfect manner - prompt, friendly service, drinks always full, order exactly right - and they have left me nothing. Then, I have also fucked up on some tables before and forgot to fill their drinks, the food took longer than expected, etc., and I've received HUGE tips. It is odd.

MBTI
    LoLz

Quote Originally Posted by Dyoni View Post
    I tend to tip well, because I know that being a waitress is a difficult and frustrating job. I've had many friends in college who were waitresses, and I recently started a second job as a waitress. It's actually more difficult than I expected, especially for an introvert.

I pretty much always give 20%, unless the service was extremely rude. Then I would usually just leave 10%. I also think of $5 as a minimum tip for a meal, even if 20% is less. A coffee shop I'll usually just leave a buck or two for the barista.

Also, my limited experience as a waitress leaves me confused as to how to get a good tip. I've served some tables in what I would consider a perfect manner - prompt, friendly service, drinks always full, order exactly right - and they have left me nothing. Then, I have also fucked up on some tables before and forgot to fill their drinks, the food took longer than expected, etc., and I've received HUGE tips. It is odd.
    The tip depends on the person. I'm the kind of person who will leave a 15% tip no matter what. If I'm friends with them, I feel obligated to leave more, but that's it.

I quickly found out in my first few days that this job is made for SPs and SFJs. As an ISTJ, I feel at a disadvantage. I don't have the go with the flow skills of an SP and I lack the natural urge for hospitality of an SFJ. I look for the concrete objectives as the first priority. Even when I was practicing my greeting for the customers, I told the manager, "Okay, I can try this, but what am I trying to accomplish with the greeting? Which points am I trying to hit?" Just the logical point by point viewpoint hurts me.

Even comparing myself to ESFJs doing the job, the first thing I noticed is the speed difference. They go for speed of service as a priority. Even though I'm new, I go for precision as a priority. I won't go faster because I know the chance of error increases. It's simpler things like, not filling a glass all the way, not making small messes. It's just that I would notice those small things if I were the customer, so I avoid it. I guess that's the difference, that I employ Si and Fi rather than relying on Fe.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by raz View Post
    I quickly found out in my first few days that this job is made for SPs and SFJs.
    Haha, I agree. I feel like it's definitely not a good fit for my personality type. But it's not like it's brain surgery, either, so I'm sure I'll catch on. I also hostess, which I like more. I like directing the customers around the restaurant and distributing them between the wait staff to make a system that is efficient and pleasing to the customers.

MBTI
    LoLz

2 weeks since the last post?

I've been at my waiter job at a dine-in restaurant that is only in the southeast. It's called Tripps. It's similar to Red Lobster, Olive Garden, Kickback Jack's, etc. I work there only 2 days a week due to school and a full time job I work elsewhere. So, on my 3rd day officially alone, I was working a double. Lunch was fine, a few awkward moments but I made it through it with $7 in tips from only 2 tables!

At dinner, the shit hit the fan. I had a section with 3 tables. Lunch went fine so I was confident. I got a table, older woman and man, simple sortof. I was getting them glasses of wine and bread, then I get a 2nd table. The supervisor asks if I can handle starting 2 tables at once. I felt good about myself, and said of course!

It's an old lady and a young guy that seems to be her son. She starts giving this complicated order, "I'll have the 12 oz sirloin, medium, with a baked sweet potato, cinnamon and butter on the side. I'll also have the salad that comes with it with only lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, almonds, cranberries." Her son interrupts and says, "Can you bring me ranch with the bread along with the sauce?" Then she interrupts again and says extra napkins and extra plate. I was like, holy shit...picky enough?

I went to put it in and found out we didn't have baked sweet potatoes or cranberries. I asked her, "I meant the mashed sweet potatoes and the craisins you have." I wanted to facepalm. Meanwhile, that other table was still waiting on orders and refills! I finally get her stuff out, but the salad ended up taking 3 times as long to figure out. I get her steak out to her, and I had forgotten to take the stuff off the potato and put it on the side. Oh and also? "It's not medium, enough."

At this point, a supervisor is assisting me and telling me she's a regular. She goes out to her and talks to her about the problems. We get another steak out and the potatoes done right. "It's still not medium enough." I was like, fuck! I go tell the supervisor and she just gives her the steak for free. Good game lady!

This whole time, I'm neglecting my other table. I end up getting their salad out AFTER their dinner and the man tells me to just take it off the bill. It was my mistake. The manager steps in and tells me to give them a free dessert for that. I wanted to hug him for that. So, that picky old lady ended up getting a free sirloin dinner, and still left me a $3 tip. The other table left me a $3.50 tip out of ~$25.

Moral of the story? Stay away from picky eaters.

MBTI
    INTP

I'm always a good tipper, unless the service was terrible.

I do resent being expected to tip for a takeout order, though, when all they did was bring it from the kitchen to the register.
    Something Witty

i always get a little culture shock when it comes to tipping in the us.
    i think it's the expected part of it.

i waited tables during university in england.
    but it was never expected X amount of gratuity.
    every normal man must be tempted, at times,
    to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag,
    and begin slitting throats.
    h.l. mencken

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post

I do resent being expected to tip for a takeout order, though, when all they did was bring it from the kitchen to the register.
    i don't tip on take out orders.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post

But they didn't just take it from the kitchen to the register. They took time away from their paying tables to get all the food together with all the stuff it needs (condiments, napkins, utensils). Boxed and bagged it up, got the bill totalled and then brought it out to the register. I've ended up way behind on my tables just trying to get a take out order ready.

Sometimes places designate people in take-out for the night. But they don't all do that.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Having several friends that were servers, I can understand a lot when it comes to their job. I don't get mad at them about my food, etc.

I did, however, go to a place to pay for food.. so I'm going to get what I came to pay for, so as long as I get that in a timely manner I'm okay.

The only time I don't tip a server is when they're being outrageous. Waiting 20 minutes for a drink.. etc. Otherwise, I'm generally understanding that that's how they make their money. Thats probably the only reason I tip for mediocre service.

I DO tip VERY well for outstanding service (I gave a guy a $10 tip for 1 drink at a bar, for example, because of the type of service he gave me. I wanted tea to be mixed with my alcohol.. so since they didn't have any, he went to the movie facility's area and got a glass of tea for me. Very nice of him!).. but regular old in-and-out-did-the-job people get the 15% that's recommended.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

I don't mind tipping considering how little servers make.

This is what I do:
    • Car valet - $5 - $10 (how far away the car is parked)
    • Coat check - $2 (might be low but they don't do much)
    • Takeout - 10%
    • Delivery - 15%
    • Dine in - 20% for reasonable service, 30% for outstanding service.