I was thinking on this before I went to sleep and I came up with an idea. It is said that we use all 8 functions and I agree with this wholeheartedly, but I wondered how the ones that we do not regularly use manifest themselves in each type. I thought about myself and being an ENTP. The functions as almost everyone knows is Ne Ti Fe Si. The functions that we don't use in order are: Ni Te Fi Se.

Instead of considering these latter functions to be 'shadow' functions I thought that perhaps the only thing that makes these more difficult to use was the fact that we have to use a proper combination of our regularly used functions in order too recreate, or access these functions. I thought logically a strongly used function compared with a weaker function would create the 'unused' function and thus make it more difficult to use. For example, creating Ni would require Ne plus Ti. The leading and auxillary functions combined creates insight that Ni generally does alone. It is made with the two highest functions of the ENTP and because of this it is the most used of the least used functions.

This is just off the top of my head, but I wondered what everyone else thought about my idea.

If this has already been thought of then did this idea make sense before, is this actually how they are used? I don't want to seem like I'm creating something new if I am not.