User Tag List

First 123 Last

Enneagram
    1w2

I don't know, this doesn't sound so bad to me. Yeah it's materialist and exploitative by the funeral home, but you can't turn your nose at them for offering it. If the person wants to be remembered as an fan of such and such sports team then let them have it.

Since my family recently went through this hoopla of what to kind of coffin to bury a person in, I've thought that getting buried in a pine box or the best triple wide mahogany coffin money can by is all about the living and not the dead. If the dead person decides that they want to be honored in that way then that's them.

How is getting buried in brand name coffin any different from a recyclable cardboard coffin (excluding one being biodegradable along with its contents)? Both are advertising your value system: "I'm a devoted sports fan, even in death" or "I'm devoted to being environmentally conscious even in death."

ETA: I just found this ABC News: Cardboard Coffins: The Eco-Friendly Funeral
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by nightning View Post
    So you can die a materialistic consumer? No thank you.
    Why not if this is the way that you lived?

I'm sure there are lot of folks who would love to personalize their funeral, to know they will go out in the style they lived.

Most ancient and even modern funeral rights involve using some of the favorite things of the deceased. A lot of people who are buried in the states even have tokens put in their caskets or otherwise buried with. There is a lot of symbolism involved.

This can be as much for the living and bereaved as the passed. It's custom, it's spectacle (not in the sensational sense, but in the sense it is meant to be seen, you see someone buried or ashes strewn or have a wake and it's their PUBLIC passing), it's a rite.

Much like a wedding.

I'm sure people do things for their weddings that may sound tacky or in bad taste to some other people, but again, that's the personalized nature of public rites. You put your own spin on things.

I don't see it being weird for this to extend more into funerals as well.

And I think I have heard of KISS coffins...

I can totally imagine NASCAR coffins or WWF. Heavily branded 'sports' or other things that have their own sub-cultures and cult followings.

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by PinkPiranha View Post
    What about being buried in a KISS coffin?!
    Permissible.

Quote Originally Posted by PinkPiranha View Post
    What about being buried in a KISS coffin?!
    The great thing about the KISS coffin is that it is designed to double as a beverage cooler so you can get some use out of it before you die. God bless KISS!

MBTI
    INFP

Oh, man... I thought this was a Monty Python's Holy Grail thread. :rolli:

I want to be cremated and have my ashes scatterethed in the ocean -- where I am at one with.
    -Sandy
    I - 75% N - 55% F - 55% P - 61%
    Enneagram 4w5

There is love... in the red letters
    There is truth... in the red letters

MBTI
    ENFj

Quote Originally Posted by Jive A Turkey View Post
    Yesterday the radio told me that caskets and urns that are designed to match a Major League Baseball team are now available. So, for example, I can get an Atlanta Braves coffin with the exterior logos and interior Braves fabric. Does anyone else find this a bit repulsive? Or maybe it's cool?
    Hummm I don't think that everyone thinks this is repulsive:

Murderer maintains defiant smile to execution's end
    ENFJ 3W4

If you read this I am sorry to say that you just lost 5 seconds of your life that you wont be getting back.*

*Actual time may vary.

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    Oh, man... I thought this was a Monty Python's Holy Grail thread. :rolli:

I want to be cremated and have my ashes scatterethed in the ocean -- where I am at one with.
    After I am gone, I don't care. My husband can put me out on big trash day if he wants.

I happen to know that he puts a lot of stock in much funeral ceremony though.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Jive A Turkey View Post
    Yesterday the radio told me that caskets and urns that are designed to match a Major League Baseball team are now available. So, for example, I can get an Atlanta Braves coffin with the exterior logos and interior Braves fabric. Does anyone else find this a bit repulsive? Or maybe it's cool?
    I don't know. If a person wants it, I guess it's fine. But I would think it would be tacky if someone were put in such a thing by default, because it was the only one they could afford or had left in stock, or if the family just didn't care about the person who had died and wanted to save money or make a mockery of them by burying them in one.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    But I would think it would be tacky if someone were put in such a thing by default, because it was the only one they could afford or had left in stock,
    LOL! Oh Lord! Nice one Athenian!
    A: "I'm sorry ma'am but the only item we have in stock is x..."
    B: "Well what kind of lead times do you have on coffins? He's not going anywhere."
    A: "About Six weeks."
    B: "Okay then we'll go with the Mets."

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    My husband can put me out on big trash day if he wants.
    Ohhhh, Y'all are killing me today.