User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ISTx

Default Convince me to drive 10 hrs to see a friend

So this girl I have a bit of a history with has invited me to come see her while she's up visiting her sister. We grew up together (our families went to the same church) but hadn't really spoke much to each other until not too long before I moved away to California (this was about 2 years ago). We've kept in contact as more than friends but somehow managed to have our conflicts and fights. We stopped talking a couple months ago over stupid stuff but recently we picked things back up a little. We aren't talking often on the phone but we are on good terms and have spoken a couple times briefly on the phone as well as texted a little. Anyways, I got a random text from her tonight just saying hello. She told me I should come see her and hang out. I want to, but I don't know that I have the balls. Too afraid that it won't be the way I want it to or that I won't be as interesting or comfortable around her. Basically I don't want to fail or get rejected, but I REALLY want to do this. I fear that the fears will outweigh the desire (because in my life, there's been a history of that). I don't know what the point of this thread is. Let me just get a bunch of signatures as a petition forcing me to do this.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Do you want to go more than you want to avoid failure? Which is more important, the opportunity to succeed, or the possibility of failure? Does that possibility go away or diminish if you don't go/try, or might it just increase the distance and lead to rejection anyway?

If you want to see her, go. If you don't want to see her, don't go. That's my opinion. You either want something, or you don't.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

GO! you'll probably regret it more if you don't go than if you do!

I once drove 11 hours to see a guy with whom I had an interesting history! I had a fun time driving (I love to drive! ) and I had a great time hanging out with him for a few days!

You're better off doing something risky than sitting around later what would have happened if you hadn't!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    istp

what's the downside? if you screw up, it's no worse than if you hadnt gone, anyways, I dont think you should put so much pressure on yourself, screwing up aint so bad if you dont make out to be that way.

driving is fun when youre not stuck in traffic, just listen to some music or use it as a chance to think.

i dont really see any reason you shouldnt, unless you mind spending the money on gas.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Do it. You know you want to.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Do it. Do it. Do it.

It may be easier on your body to fly and rent a car at your destination, however.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

~dangerous curves ahead~
    MBTI
    ENTP

"Be a MAN! Do the right thing".

At the very least, you'd provide an interesting story for the rest of us here, whether or not it does work out.

MBTI
    INFP

Don't do it! It's too scary.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by TheBeatGoesOn View Post
    So this girl I have a bit of a history with has invited me to come see her while she's up visiting her sister. We grew up together (our families went to the same church) but hadn't really spoke much to each other until not too long before I moved away to California (this was about 2 years ago). We've kept in contact as more than friends but somehow managed to have our conflicts and fights. We stopped talking a couple months ago over stupid stuff but recently we picked things back up a little. We aren't talking often on the phone but we are on good terms and have spoken a couple times briefly on the phone as well as texted a little. Anyways, I got a random text from her tonight just saying hello. She told me I should come see her and hang out. I want to, but I don't know that I have the balls. Too afraid that it won't be the way I want it to or that I won't be as interesting or comfortable around her. Basically I don't want to fail or get rejected, but I REALLY want to do this. I fear that the fears will outweigh the desire (because in my life, there's been a history of that). I don't know what the point of this thread is. Let me just get a bunch of signatures as a petition forcing me to do this.
    I have driven 10 hours to see someone before, but I was madly in love with him at the time.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

DO IT!!! you know you want to otherwise you wouldn't have started the thread! even the INFJs say to do it! obviously you should!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett