User Tag List

First 123 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 24

  1. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    Well, I guess I've been sort of close in the summer when I have nothing to do and school is out. I tend to spend my time on the Internet or reading books as I see fit. Does that count?
    I had a some summers like that in high-school. I miss that. I read almost as much physics between my 2nd and 3rd year of high-school as I have since (despite being a physics minor).

    So I guess I have had intellectual freedom myself. Thanks, Athenian, for pointing that out. The other summers, I was working/volunteering/in summer camp/on a family trip/too intellectually immature to appreciate it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jive A Turkey View Post
    Well that's financial freedom to me. I've been bent on that notion for the last six months. The things that I really want to do will make some money, but not very much. Once I get my house paid off I should be able move to a career that I really enjoy. Working for money sucks ass.
    Well, that was my approach to it too. Obtain financial freedom to obtain intellectual freedom, but I have a sabbatacal that I can take, that I may use for a short stint of that as well.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jive A Turkey View Post
    As far as intellectual freedom goes, I'm finding that I become a little more free each time I simplify, or get rid of something. The maintenance of possessions is such a mind killer.
    Agreed. Unfortunately, simplifying is a lot harder than staying simple in the first place. Yes. Fewer things that take "mindshare" from me without permission would help. Another reason I love my DVR, and hate commercials.

    Quote Originally Posted by PinkPiranha View Post
    I think Grayscale was kidding, ygolo.
    I figured. But I gave him the benefit of the doubt, in-case he was a transfer from INTPc, N-Central, or one of the other forums this one grew out of.

    Quote Originally Posted by PinkPiranha View Post
    And for me, the answer is no. I haven't achieved it or even come close. I'm a slave to the system and plot every day as to how I can defeat it.
    Yes. Other than for brief periods, mentioned above, I am in the same position. I also plot every day. What are some of your plots, if you don't mind? Right now, I am working to see if there are better investment opportnities (in particular, learning about options and spreads) out there. Not much more than that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    I have too much intellectual freedom.. I need to buckle down with some "Doer" projects.
    I have a hard time thinking one could have too much intellectual freedom. However, if I had majored in something with more freedom than the one I chose in college, I can see how that may have had consequences in the future. However, I find it a rare treat to find even pockets of time for intellectual freedom. Perhaps, I should just savor the moments I get, while working towards financial freedom (and therefore intellectual freedom).

    Quote Originally Posted by Vortex View Post
    When I was around sixteen. Unfortunately I had too much teenage angst spinning around my head at the time to appreciate it.
    Yup. You've convinved me. I have moments of intellectual freedom. I should savor them, IMO.

    Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

  2. #12
    The Black Knight Domino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni
    Posts
    11,443

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    I figured. But I gave him the benefit of the doubt, in-case he was a transfer from INTPc, N-Central, or one of the other forums this one grew out of.
    Very diplomatic of you!


    Yes. Other than for brief periods, mentioned above, I am in the same position. I also plot every day. What are some of your plots, if you don't mind? Right now, I am working to see if there are better investment opportnities (in particular, learning about options and spreads) out there. Not much more than that.
    Wow, what *haven't* I contemplated. (shakes head) Everything from business courses/investment training ideas to forcing myself to print up cards with my name on them for my art business (which is still embryonic and not lucrative in the long run). I've drawn up a business plan with a friend and hope to speak to a retired CEO soon about implementing it so my art work will become something I can depend on as opposed to bailing water with it.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

  3. #13
    Senior Member Grayscale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    MBTI
    istp
    Posts
    1,962

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    I figured. But I gave him the benefit of the doubt
    just make sure not to do that in the future

    on a serious note, this is something id like, but not so much intellectual in the sense that I would have time to sit around studying, but to explore things in science and the world in general without limits.

  4. #14
    The Black Knight Domino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni
    Posts
    11,443

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grayscale View Post
    just make sure not to do that in the future

    on a serious note, this is something id like, but not so much intellectual in the sense that I would have time to sit around studying, but to explore things in science and the world in general without limits.
    World without limits for Gray: A T-Rex flying an F-14.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

  5. #15
    insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,489

    Default

    I think I've never lacked intellectual freedom. I have tons of relatively free time. It's sadly rare that I take advantage of it though...

  6. #16
    Resident Snot-Nose GZA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    infp
    Posts
    1,771

    Default

    Yah, in summers I try to acheive that, but I never had a word for it. I had it down perfectly like two years ago. Its sweet, I'm always trying to do that

  7. #17
    Protocol Droid Athenian200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    8,828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    I had a some summers like that in high-school. I miss that. I read almost as much physics between my 2nd and 3rd year of high-school as I have since (despite being a physics minor).

    So I guess I have had intellectual freedom myself. Thanks, Athenian, for pointing that out. The other summers, I was working/volunteering/in summer camp/on a family trip/too intellectually immature to appreciate it.
    I've spent a lot of my life like that, actually. I've never had a job, gone to summer camp, or volunteered anywhere. I've only been on two trips in my life, I think. And I've been reading books about various things since I was three, and didn't get too distracted from it by becoming a teenager.

    The downside is that I haven't had many good friends. What's funny is that I've studied psychology, sociology, etiquette, and other such things in depth, but I've never gotten around to actually spending a lot of time with people. Unless you count the Internet, of course. It's partially because most real people aren't as interesting as the ones I'd read about or imagined. But I do like to spend a lot of time daydreaming about talking to people and imagining their responses.

  8. #18
    Senior Member FallsPioneer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    260

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vortex View Post
    When I was around sixteen. Unfortunately I had too much teenage angst spinning around my head at the time to appreciate it.
    Yep. I took back control when I was that age. I'm still fairly angst-ridden, but I usually choose the things that I'm most interested in, pursue those, and leave the others for another day. That way, I balance the more important things in life with the things I want.
    Still using a needle to break apart a grain of sand.

  9. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PinkPiranha View Post
    Very diplomatic of you!
    Well, thank you. I thought so.

    Quote Originally Posted by PinkPiranha View Post
    Wow, what *haven't* I contemplated. (shakes head) Everything from business courses/investment training ideas to forcing myself to print up cards with my name on them for my art business (which is still embryonic and not lucrative in the long run). I've drawn up a business plan with a friend and hope to speak to a retired CEO soon about implementing it so my art work will become something I can depend on as opposed to bailing water with it.
    I am always impressed by people who have the courage to leave comfortable (though perhaps miserable) lives to pursue what really make them feel alive. What sort of art business do you have in mind?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grayscale View Post
    just make sure not to do that in the future
    No guarantees.

    Quote Originally Posted by Grayscale View Post
    on a serious note, this is something id like, but not so much intellectual in the sense that I would have time to sit around studying, but to explore things in science and the world in general without limits.
    I meant a mix of both. I am really interested in energy technologies right now, and I would like to explore and experiment with fuel-cells and some of the nano-technology conversion of hydrocarbons to more usable forms. Unfortunately, my work and school deal mainly with computers and electronic circuits. I am interested in these also, but I am now intensely more curious about energy. My curiosity is too fickle, however. I need to see how serious I am about it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    I think I've never lacked intellectual freedom. I have tons of relatively free time. It's sadly rare that I take advantage of it though...
    Quote Originally Posted by GZA View Post
    Yah, in summers I try to acheive that, but I never had a word for it. I had it down perfectly like two years ago. Its sweet, I'm always trying to do that
    I am envious of both of you. How did you do it?

    Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    I've spent a lot of my life like that, actually. I've never had a job, gone to summer camp, or volunteered anywhere. I've only been on two trips in my life, I think. And I've been reading books about various things since I was three, and didn't get too distracted from it by becoming a teenager.

    The downside is that I haven't had many good friends. What's funny is that I've studied psychology, sociology, etiquette, and other such things in depth, but I've never gotten around to actually spending a lot of time with people. Unless you count the Internet, of course. It's partially because most real people aren't as interesting as the ones I'd read about or imagined. But I do like to spend a lot of time daydreaming about talking to people and imagining their responses.
    Interesting. I spend some amount of time thinking, but not nearly as much as I would like. How would I support myself if I simply followed my curiosity? That is the question that keeps me from simply following my curiosity. That and the fact that my interests change too quickly for the sustained effort needed to turn them into a career (unless I find a way to make a job simply coming up with ideas and trying to implement them).

    Quote Originally Posted by FallsPioneer View Post
    Yep. I took back control when I was that age. I'm still fairly angst-ridden, but I usually choose the things that I'm most interested in, pursue those, and leave the others for another day. That way, I balance the more important things in life with the things I want.
    You don't want the important things, or is it that the things you want aren't important? Why do you believe there needs to be a "balance?"

    Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

  10. #20
    Resident Snot-Nose GZA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    infp
    Posts
    1,771

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    I am envious of both of you. How did you do it?
    Well, I was 14/15 at the time, so I didn't have a job or school (it was summer). So bassically I spent all my time doing whatever I wanted. I studies music, I studied any random thing I was interested in, from philosophy to religion to all sorts of other crazy crap using the internet. If I wasn't doing that I was exploring the world, just hanging out with my friends and wondering around watching the clouds, the cars, everything, the stars, everything. In MBTI terms, I was just using I,N,F, and P to the MAX. I was just in full personality engage. There were no restrictions from having to worry about school or anything else, so everything was free, open, and available.

    Man, school and work are uncivilized by comparison

    But really, I've always felt limited by school, and its always been the times where I'm off school for extended periods of time (even as short as a week) where I feel like I've learned the most and grown as a person.

    I guess part of this is that I don't value a lot of the school and work I have. Yah, we INFP's need to value our stuff. I think the key is to make the way you spend your time something you love and care about, not just a way to make money. I'd love to have a thing I do everyday that I love for work, that would be free. I'd love to have the responsibility of work if the work is soemthing I love and care about.

Similar Threads

  1. The end of freedom of speech?
    By Sahara in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 12-29-2009, 03:45 PM
  2. Intellectual Interests
    By labyrinthine in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 01-20-2008, 07:00 PM
  3. [NT] NT intellectual goals
    By Prometheus in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 10-02-2007, 06:06 AM
  4. Intellectual Frustration
    By ygolo in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 08-26-2007, 05:05 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO