User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: Net Talk

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    7w8

Default Net Talk

Do you type, talk, and such like you do in person?

I know I don't. I don't even write novels like I talk. It's just not the same.

And as another question, do you ever talk outloud what you are typing? I've seen that before, and I'll never get it. Of course, I only saw it in films & shows...but still.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram

Haha, I do that all the time. Or I'll be talking to someone and I'll start to type what I am saying to the person. It's very strange, especially when they begin to give me odd looks and I haven't realized what I've done.

On here I type almost identical to how I speak, very random. It follows my thought process -- even though I am an organized thinker, to some it comes across as jumbled. But this is because I have much to say and try to blurt it all out at once and tend to jump topics (like I said, much like my typing). But when I'm writing blogs/stories/etc I write completely different. Much more organized.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post
    Do you type, talk, and such like you do in person?

I know I don't. I don't even write novels like I talk. It's just not the same.

And as another question, do you ever talk outloud what you are typing? I've seen that before, and I'll never get it. Of course, I only saw it in films & shows...but still.
    No way - forum speak is more conversational english. Like you don't start a sentence with "And". It breaks all kinds of rules. The danger is in our formal writing skiils degrading because of this.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    7w8

Rules are for such and such, and school, and cool - you get the point.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Sometimes I type the way I speak on-line ...in fact, I do this often because I tend to be more social on-line...but at other times I write more formally, it depends.

I don't agree with highlander. It was verified to me in college as an English major that both net speak and texting are considered valid dialects of English, just like the Southern dialect or ebonics.

I have a friend who is a teacher and she thinks that kids are actually writing more than they would on average because of Internet use. The kids who would have been writing formally or creatively for fun, anyway, will continue to do so...and the rest of them probably would have been hanging out at the mall or watching television instead of reading and writing, so it's actually serving a greater purpose to the masses.

The same argument can be made about television. On one side television can distract people who would otherwise be reading, but on the other side there's the argument that segments of people who would have been extremely ignorant fifty to one hundred years ago are far more educated simply because of television.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    7w8

Its not so much a thing about formality, it's a thing of...Man, I don't even talk like that. I'll read it back and it'll sound like nothing I'd ever even say...ever, or the way I put together the words will be strange.

I dont know - I'm a writer, so I pay attention to crap like that. And are you strangling that kitty?

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    No way - forum speak is more conversational english. Like you don't start a sentence with "And". It breaks all kinds of rules. The danger is in our formal writing skiils degrading because of this.
    And... no.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    7w8

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post
    Its not so much a thing about formality, it's a thing of...Man, I don't even talk like that. I'll read it back and it'll sound like nothing I'd ever even say...ever, or the way I put together the words will be strange.

I dont know - I'm a writer, so I pay attention to crap like that. And are you strangling that kitty?
    I kitties. You must have a morbid imagination. Perhaps you were swayed by the sad expression on my face (which was pointed out to me by someone else just a few days ago).

But back on topic, I love the Internet. LiveJournal kept my writing skills intact between the long break I took between high school and college.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    7w8

What'd you write on LiveJournal?
    And it is a sad face.
    But its more a pouty, I'm cute face.
    Somewhere inbetween...I can't tell yet.

The pink is swaying me