User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    ISFJ

Default What are the redeeming qualities

....of the unfunniest friend you have? Where does the joy in communicating with that person stem from?

EDIT: I've pre-sabotaged one of my topics again, but by unfunniest I meant lacking a sense of humor too. Someone you simply can't laugh with about anything.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

she's a great person and supportive friend, would do anything to help a friend out, is a good cook and her attempts at telling jokes are actually somewhat amusing even if they are terrible jokes told badly

I find everyone to be funny in their own way!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    she's a great person and supportive friend, would do anything to help a friend out, is a good cook and her attempts at telling jokes are actually somewhat amusing even if they are terrible jokes told badly

I find everyone to be funny in their own way!
    Me too. Except people I don't like. That's part of the reason I created this topic.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    Me too. Except people I don't like. That's part of the reason I created this topic.
    dislikable people are amusing too... sometimes they do things like spill drinks on themselves or trip on their own shoes
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Phantonym

To take this literally, I don't communicate with people only because I happen to think they're funny. Any kind of relationships in my opinion are not all about fun and it shouldn't be the primary objective at all. Fun isn't a constant and you don't bail on your friends the moment they happen to be unfunny. However, people have different interpretations of what fun is. The joy comes from appreciating people as they are and everybody has something valuable to offer. There are different kinds of relationships and what works in one might not work in another, but that does not mean that they are not valuable or that they don't bring you joy.

MBTI
    ISFJ

^completely agree

But truth of the matter is we will tend to like people that make us laugh and relax (something I tend to fight in myself though if we are laughing at the expense of something I find important to uphold).

I've pre-sabotaged one of my topics again, but by unfunniest I meant lacking a sense of humor too.

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    dislikable people are amusing too... sometimes they do things like spill drinks on themselves or trip on their own shoes
    My inability to find slapstick funny, even when it is happening dislikable people is a constant in my life. I can't laugh if someone is getting hurt.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    ....of the unfunniest friend you have? Where does the joy in communicating with that person stem from?
    My "unfunniest friend" is very well-read and can converse intelligently on a wide range of topics. No matter how off-the-wall something is that I bring up, he takes interest in it and has something worthwhile to say, even if just good questions. He is one of the most loyal and dependable people I know; I would trust him with my life. Also, he appreciates my sense of humor.

Ginkgo

You must antagonize them into becoming funny, not by their own right, but by Making Fun of them.

No no, but seriously, I have no unfunny friends. I have unfunny family members, however.

Is it only the sole element of "funny" that dictates your happiness or something?

Lungs & Lips Locked Unkindloving's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    ENFj

It's surprising to me, but it plays a pretty good part of my close friendships. I can't think of a single one that is close to me and doesn't have a decent sense of humor.

Only one person i've tried to be friends with made me feel severely uncomfortable in the humor department.
    He was otherwise intelligent and nerdy.
    He was nice to me and went against his social phobias to hang with my group of friends.
    It was easy to see that he meant well. He even went out of his way to suffer through giving my Mom a ride somewhere our second time hanging out. Bravery will go on that list.
    Hang on traveling woman - Don't sacrifice your plan
    Cause it will come back to you - Before you lose it on the man

.:: DWTWD ::.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2011 TypeC Exercise Challenge - My Weekly Goals: Cardio 4x. Yoga/Pilates 1x. Pushups 70.

There is this thing keeping everyone's lungs and lips locked - It is called fear and it's seeing a great renaissance

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

this one girl I'm close friends with is a total goody two shoes INFJ lacking any sense of humor but also bearing one of the best most addicting personalities I know.

Ironically, I am more comfortable being myself around her and goofing off more often around her than most people only because I know she is so innocent, accepting, and often interested in why I do a lot of the funny stuff I do. For that reason, I admire her, am attracted to her, and feel at ease and most like myself around her.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?