User Tag List

First 12345 Last

i lived in japan. i didn't speak much japanese. i still don't.
    but i took lessons. talk about lost in translation.

i also spent time in buenos aires and was like confused 80%
    of the time. i tried to learn as much as i could, but i was only
    there for 3 months.

humilty, manners, common sense and politeness helps.

it's just funny for me, if you're planning on being an expat
    and you don't bother to learn the country's language... your
    rights to complain about how things 'don't work' reduces
    significantly. i encounter these types of people on a daily
    basis here in thailand. learn the language and you might
    actually get what you order. if they knew english they
    wouldn't be a waiter at a street side food stall.
    every normal man must be tempted, at times,
    to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag,
    and begin slitting throats.
    h.l. mencken
    Likes Red Herring liked this post

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    Yeah, I definitely get that with people from romance language background a little bit more. English speakers are just devoid of soul

And they want to take my soul away from me!

(I will tell you though, that within romance languages, we portuguese are a little different than the rest. Much in the same way the French and Romanian are....to a lesser extent but still. We are the depressed people.)
    Yeah well, I know, although I personally found that the distance tends to get smaller whenever the culture where the person's residing is even more distant from each person's original culture. Well, that's a fucked up sentence but I guess you can get what I mean

But yeah....I'd have to conform to a new culture. Eww....conformity. The only thing that soothes the mind, is that the countries I'm thinking of moving tend to have a lot of cultural diversity. But I don't want to be known as the portuguese guy. I wanna beat them at their own game. Since the main thing I get out of life is interaction with people...if that fails or feels unsatisfactory (and it's not whether people like me or not)...I'm not the stoic kind of guy that would stay just because I got a well paying job or whatever.
    Yeah, I totally understand. I guess you should just try, and eventually move back to some more familiar place if you don't manage to adapt. By the way, now that I'm thinking about it, I'm not sure that you need a common background in terms of language in order to socialize easily. For example, I was able to socialize easily with chinese people, because as much as people are full of prejudices towards their societies, it's actually much similar to mine (so, I suppose somewhat to portugues, too) in comparison to anglo-saxon or germanic cultures. Perhaps then it's just a matter of emotional wavelenght (I found chinese and hong-kongers would easily get my humor, yet Danish, German, English people usually wouldn't ).
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Banned
    MBTI
    IxFx
    Enneagram
    5w4

The correct title should be Would you ever live in a country where you couldn't speak *insert your mother tongue*?

I'm thinking of living abroad, and I'd be choosing an english-speaking country for that (probably Canada). Thing is I've been analyzing myself when I talk english vs when I talked in my mother tongue (portuguese) and it's like I'm two different people. It's quite scary. I'm a Ne dominant and I thrive on saying the most ridiculous thing in my mind in an articulate or funny way....and in english I become much more serious, soulless and longwinded and boring. I also noticed it's easier for me to talk about my feelings in english. It is like I detach from the feeling-described words since they are in my mother tongue, and thus deeply rooted in my subconscious.

I feel like another person and I've been reading on psychology and language on how much of our thought process' identity is relate to our native tongue. I'm afraid I'm going to lose my glow when I go abroad....Specially since it's the only thing I'm good at - being charismatic/funny/witty.

So, would YOU be able to live in a country where you had to speak another language for the rest of your life? How would you think it would affect your personality?

And do you have any tips for me?
    I'm Norwegian, and I lived and worked in Greece for a while. I would've stayed long-term if it weren't the shitty job I had (comission only work). Because I'm happy as long if I know my income is secure (you know, to pay for food and rent).

It was difficult sometimes, when I bumped into people who didn't know any English (at all). But then it was all about handsigns and patience. I would suggest taking a language course though, while you're there. If you're interested, it won't take long to learn pieces of their language. And then it's up to you and how often you use it to learn more.

In Norway, Sweden and Denmark, most people are always in a hurry, so they'll prefer it if you speak English so they can move on quickly you know. That's why it can be difficult to learn Norwegian, Swedish or Danish, because most people would just like to hop over that hurdle.

MBTI
    INTP

The correct title should be Would you ever live in a country where you couldn't speak *insert your mother tongue*?

I'm thinking of living abroad, and I'd be choosing an english-speaking country for that (probably Canada). Thing is I've been analyzing myself when I talk english vs when I talked in my mother tongue (portuguese) and it's like I'm two different people. It's quite scary. I'm a Ne dominant and I thrive on saying the most ridiculous thing in my mind in an articulate or funny way....and in english I become much more serious, soulless and longwinded and boring. I also noticed it's easier for me to talk about my feelings in english. It is like I detach from the feeling-described words since they are in my mother tongue, and thus deeply rooted in my subconscious.

I feel like another person and I've been reading on psychology and language on how much of our thought process' identity is relate to our native tongue. I'm afraid I'm going to lose my glow when I go abroad....Specially since it's the only thing I'm good at - being charismatic/funny/witty.

So, would YOU be able to live in a country where you had to speak another language for the rest of your life? How would you think it would affect your personality?

And do you have any tips for me?
    There is only one language.

If I knew the basics of the language (say ~40% of the common speaking language) I think it would be fun. I bet it can be very exciting getting to experience a completely different culture from the one you've spent your life in. If I didn't know the language, I would probably get too panicky and paranoid thinking I'm going to get taken advantage of or will let people down and not be able to do whatever job I have well enough. Too paranoid, people are bad enough in my own native tongue.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Sure. If anything, it's very enticing. Bored of english. Something new please!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    469 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII Fi

I totally would! I'm sure it would be slightly frustrating at times but it's an amazing opportunity to learn a new language and embrace a new culture. My infj cousin is teaching English to kids in Japan, and while she does have some struggles with the language barrier it's been an overall positive experience for her.
    I only ask to be free. The butterflies are free...

Johari
    Nohari

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

In theory the "Lark vault" could be anywhere, if its well enough supplied its self-contained so no contact with anyone wouldnt matter where in the world it was.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Yes, if I had reason to be there, like a good job. It would be easiest in a country which speaks one of the languages I have invested some effort in learning already, but I wouldn't mind starting from scratch with something else, especially if I could get lessons, or at least books and a couple friendly natives to give me pointers.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    2w5 sx

Yes I would. It depends on the country though, but I would love to live in a foreign country for a few years or so. I just feel like there would be a lot to learn.