MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I'd like to, I doubt I'd be able to.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    I have the same problem, although it's much less pronounced if / when I speak with someone whose mother tongue is a romance one. I think this is one of the main reasons why people tend to stick to their co-nationals when abroad, even if they can speak english / german / russian / chinese quite well.

I wouldn't even say that it's a matter of pratice, for me at least. I've lived abroad, I could speak english in a completely natural and fluent fashion, yet I could feel that my personality was different, simply because it's impossible to express yourself in the same fashion. It's truly another personality; or, rather, the core of your personality is similar, but it's filtered through different expressions, thus it'll be externally different.

I don't have any tips for you, except getting to know people of spanish / italian / brazilian / argentinian / chilean origin. Which isn't something that I'd consider "great", since you're trying to integrate into a new culture.
    Yeah, I definitely get that with people from romance language background a little bit more. English speakers are just devoid of soul

And they want to take my soul away from me!

(I will tell you though, that within romance languages, we portuguese are a little different than the rest. Much in the same way the French and Romanian are....to a lesser extent but still. We are the depressed people.)

But yeah....I'd have to conform to a new culture. Eww....conformity. The only thing that soothes the mind, is that the countries I'm thinking of moving tend to have a lot of cultural diversity. But I don't want to be known as the portuguese guy. I wanna beat them at their own game. Since the main thing I get out of life is interaction with people...if that fails or feels unsatisfactory (and it's not whether people like me or not)...I'm not the stoic kind of guy that would stay just because I got a well paying job or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    ....?

Totally understand you. Just this little I try to speak English on this forum I get drained and I could never express myself the same like in my native language, i feel like my personality changes.
    I've been considering moving somewhere else but I think this would be the problem, many people simply dont have it, but I guess I am not that good in languages, maybe that's it. Or it's because Croatian is very different than English... dont know... I probably wouldnt have this problem with Russian and with living in Russia

I also noticed that I am better in English when I am able to detach, which isnt often. My NT friends learn english faster than I do, I think it's cos they are detached.

I have a friend who lives in Netherlands, but is Romanian and lived in italy... wherever she comes she doesnt have a problem.. she's ENFJ.. i think it's just individual...

Well if you have this fears I dont know, because we're on the same boat, but maybe all this disappears when you live somewhere for several years.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

I have lived in another country for a while. Its not too bad. The problem with long-term is that I don't believe I can never learn the culture so well that I could be sure I am not missing out on something. This is why I will always be Finnish and probably spend most of my time here.

Yes, I think I would. It gets tiring using another language no matter how good you are. You need to find ways to take a break. There is a kind of detachment in using another language which is interesting in a way but can also be frustrating.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Where in Canada would you be moving to? There would probably be a community of Portuguese speakers in cities like Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver, but maybe even in more unlikely places in Canada now. Immigration numbers have shot up incredibly in the last few years depending on where there is industry.

The Duchess of Oddity Queen Kat's Avatar
    MBTI
    E.T.
    Enneagram
    7w8

Why not? My mom did the same. By the way, it's fun, so it couldn't stop me.
    I was sitting outside the classroom waiting to go in, and I saw an airplane hit the tower. The TV was obviously on. I used to fly myself and I said, "There's one terrible pilot."
    - George W. Bush -

SCUAI - 7w8 sx/sp - Chaotic Evil - Fucking Cute - ALIVE

Blog. Read it, bitches.
    Questions? Click here
    If you don't agree about my MBTI type, you can complain about it here. I've had plenty of people telling me I'm something else, in my reputation box. That's annoying.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

The correct title should be Would you ever live in a country where you couldn't speak *insert your mother tongue*?

I'm thinking of living abroad, and I'd be choosing an english-speaking country for that (probably Canada). Thing is I've been analyzing myself when I talk english vs when I talked in my mother tongue (portuguese) and it's like I'm two different people. It's quite scary. I'm a Ne dominant and I thrive on saying the most ridiculous thing in my mind in an articulate or funny way....and in english I become much more serious, soulless and longwinded and boring. I also noticed it's easier for me to talk about my feelings in english. It is like I detach from the feeling-described words since they are in my mother tongue, and thus deeply rooted in my subconscious.

I feel like another person and I've been reading on psychology and language on how much of our thought process' identity is relate to our native tongue. I'm afraid I'm going to lose my glow when I go abroad....Specially since it's the only thing I'm good at - being charismatic/funny/witty.

So, would YOU be able to live in a country where you had to speak another language for the rest of your life? How would you think it would affect your personality?

And do you have any tips for me?
    That would be my biggest fear too, I totally sympathize.

I think I would take some prep time to mentally prep myself.

For a while, it'd take a while to fitting into a new skin, but once I felt like I was at the point where I could return to my old self under a new language I would definitely go back to it...but knowing me, that might be left in the past and I may not need it.

You may find that you'll grow into something else. Maybe you'll take on a new glow and find new ways of feeling comfortable being yourself. Or maybe you'll just adapt around the change in setting. It's all temporary. Regardless, though, there will be a few months of hibernation. So be ready for it.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    I have lived in another country for a while. Its not too bad. The problem with long-term is that I don't believe I can never learn the culture so well that I could be sure I am not missing out on something. This is why I will always be Finnish and probably spend most of my time here.
    Yeah, I know what you mean. That isn't the part that bothers me the most in itself actually...I like the idea of being constantly surprised and out of the loop in a sense. I just want to be able to communicate my Ne-ities with ease.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    Yes, I think I would. It gets tiring using another language no matter how good you are. You need to find ways to take a break. There is a kind of detachment in using another language which is interesting in a way but can also be frustrating.
    :horor:

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    Where in Canada would you be moving to? There would probably be a community of Portuguese speakers in cities like Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver, but maybe even in more unlikely places in Canada now. Immigration numbers have shot up incredibly in the last few years depending on where there is industry.
    Probably Vancouver. As for Portuguese speakers...not be prejudiced but most portuguese emigrants are just from another time and place.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Kat View Post
    Why not? My mom did the same. By the way, it's fun, so it couldn't stop me.
    Oh, I will. Give it a test anyway. But I've been losing the sense of home where I am right now....if I go abroad and don't start sticking to one place....I'm afraid I'll never again feel "at home" in my life.

Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    That would be my biggest fear too, I totally sympathize.

I think I would take some prep time to mentally prep myself.

For a while, it'd take a while to fitting into a new skin, but once I felt like I was at the point where I could return to my old self under a new language I would definitely go back to it...but knowing me, that might be left in the past and I may not need it.

You may find that you'll grow into something else. Maybe you'll take on a new glow and find new ways of feeling comfortable being yourself. Or maybe you'll just adapt around the change in setting. It's all temporary. Regardless, though, there will be a few months of hibernation. So be ready for it.
    I'm very much afraid of this. It's that ENFP sense of identity. I refrained from going to Japan because I wasn't gonna be able to apply to all those social rules, so there ya go. Even if people liked me more if I changed....the most important thing is that I like myself.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Yeah, I know what you mean. That isn't the part that bothers me the most in itself actually...I like the idea of being constantly surprised and out of the loop in a sense. I just want to be able to communicate my Ne-ities with ease.

:horor:

Probably Vancouver. As for Portuguese speakers...not be prejudiced but most portuguese emigrants are just from another time and place.

Oh, I will. Give it a test anyway. But I've been losing the sense of home where I am right now....if I go abroad and don't start sticking to one place....I'm afraid I'll never again feel "at home" in my life.

I'm very much afraid of this. It's that ENFP sense of identity. I refrained from going to Japan because I wasn't gonna be able to apply to all those social rules, so there ya go. Even if people liked me more if I changed....the most important thing is that I like myself.
    It really is. I know I wouldn't be able to do it until I was a lot older...maybe even past middle aged.

If you have to question it this much, it might not be worth it. I'd only go if I was completely 100% heart set on the idea.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?