User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Pittsburgh is way better than Filthy-delphia. Philly may be bigger and more financially active, but Pittsburgh was recently ranked the most livable city in the USA two years in a row, and it is more academically important. It's also a hell of a lot prettier to look at.
    Livable often means "nothing much to do." Rochester, MN wins awards like that all the time. Cost of living and crime are low, but those aren't trade-offs I'd be willing to make. And it's not more academically important. I don't know where you got that idea from. Pitt, Carnegie-Mellon, and Duquesne is not exactly a Murderers Row compared to Penn, Temple, Drexel, Swarthmore, Villanova, Bryn Mawr, Haverford, etc.

At any rate, one someone asks for anything relating to Pitt or Philly, no one should provide something from the other.
    You brought up Philly.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    You brought up Philly.
    I know.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ESFJ

I know.
    Pennsyltuckians always have beef with Philly for some reason. I freely admit: I've been to Pittsburgh only once. It was fine. I wasn't particularly impressed. I like Philadelphia's big parks and old-school architecture more than the skyline/river-and-bridge look. I also wouldn't have wanted to move from Philly to a city with even worse weather. L.A. and London are the only two cities I've been to that I'd really rather live in than Philadelphia. I like huge, exciting cities with plenty to do. I also enjoy college towns like Austin and Chapel Hill. There are exceptions, though. I didn't care for Phoenix, nor do I like, say, New Brunswick, NJ. Pittsburgh just seemed kinda "blah" to me. It doesn't help that there are lots of Pittsburgh natives in and around Philly. Not my kind of people, usually. Lots of kids go from one city to the other for school, and they are usually OK. Philly just has way more schools for Pittsburghers to enjoy.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 so/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Hey folks. I wanted to go to the University of Pittsburgh this fall, but very unfortunately have to take a year off from college instead.

In the mean time, I want some internal contacts there. How many people on this forum live in Pittsburgh or its greater metropolitan area?

If you do, post here.
    I might be going to Pitt.

Plus, I'm there too often I know it like the back of my hand. I only live like 45 minutes away (If you drive fast).

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 so/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Pennsyltuckians always have beef with Philly for some reason. I freely admit: I've been to Pittsburgh only once. It was fine. I wasn't particularly impressed. I like Philadelphia's big parks and old-school architecture more than the skyline/river-and-bridge look. I also wouldn't have wanted to move from Philly to a city with even worse weather. L.A. and London are the only two cities I've been to that I'd really rather live in than Philadelphia. I like huge, exciting cities with plenty to do. I also enjoy college towns like Austin and Chapel Hill. There are exceptions, though. I didn't care for Phoenix, nor do I like, say, New Brunswick, NJ. Pittsburgh just seemed kinda "blah" to me. It doesn't help that there are lots of Pittsburgh natives in and around Philly. Not my kind of people, usually. Lots of kids go from one city to the other for school, and they are usually OK. Philly just has way more schools for Pittsburghers to enjoy.
    Personally, I don't like Philly because pretty much everyone I met that was from there acted elitist and were chalk full of snobbery when I visited Drexel (or maybe I just ran into a lot of bad people and missed the good ones). But then again, I hate Pennsylvania in general and the only reason why I'm going to college in-state is because it's financially obvious. I'm getting out as soon as possible.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by tawanda View Post
    Personally, I don't like Philly because pretty much everyone I met that was from there acted elitist and were chalk full of snobbery when I visited Drexel (or maybe I just ran into a lot of bad people and missed the good ones). But then again, I hate Pennsylvania in general and the only reason why I'm going to college in-state is because it's financially obvious. I'm getting out as soon as possible.
    Chock full? Drexel is OK. It was the least fun college to hang out at in University City, though. Penn is great, USP is in a cool little corner of West Philly (and they often have fun pills available, but always need good pot), but Drexel is so built up and busy. I never really met any Drexel kids acting superior to me, but I was a Penn kid, so it would have been incongruous anyway. Not everyone at Drexel is from Philly, either. I ended up getting a degree from Temple, which was an enjoyable campus experience, but nothing to write home about in terms of neighborhood. I really love University City. I know plenty of people who are my age (27-28) who still live there. I wish I could catch the trolley down Baltimore Ave. to get some Ethiopian food right now. Philadelphia has a lot of problems, but it's really, really fun. Lots of music, amazing food and drink, second-largest city on the East Coast after New York (which is two hours away, if you want to visit), and relatively cheap cost-of-living. I paid $400 a month for a huge room in a bi-level in the coolest part of South Philly.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 so/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Chock full? Drexel is OK. It was the least fun college to hang out at in University City, though. Penn is great, USP is in a cool little corner of West Philly (and they often have fun pills available, but always need good pot), but Drexel is so built up and busy. I never really met any Drexel kids acting superior to me, but I was a Penn kid, so it would have been incongruous anyway. Not everyone at Drexel is from Philly, either. I ended up getting a degree from Temple, which was an enjoyable campus experience, but nothing to write home about in terms of neighborhood. I really love University City. I know plenty of people who are my age (27-28) who still live there. I wish I could catch the trolley down Baltimore Ave. to get some Ethiopian food right now. Philadelphia has a lot of problems, but it's really, really fun. Lots of music, amazing food and drink, second-largest city on the East Coast after New York (which is two hours away, if you want to visit), and relatively cheap cost-of-living. I paid $400 a month for a huge room in a bi-level in the coolest part of South Philly.
    Haha, Penn I think is the worst for chock full elitism and snobbery. But meh, maybe I'm just anti-ivy.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Livable often means "nothing much to do." Rochester, MN wins awards like that all the time. Cost of living and crime are low, but those aren't trade-offs I'd be willing to make.
    I wouldn't want to live in Rochester, either, but you're forgetting the most important thing: one of the best hospitals in the country. But besides that, yeah, it's boring.
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

Pumpernickel
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Making friends are we?

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Aquarelle99 View Post
    I wouldn't want to live in Rochester, either, but you're forgetting the most important thing: one of the best hospitals in the country. But besides that, yeah, it's boring.
    Oh, of course. That definitely helps with the quality of life, but I wouldn't want a major hospital to be the main thing to recommend a place in which I would consider living. Philly, New York, Boston, and Baltimore all have Top 10-15 hospitals in the country, but a lot more other things to recommend them, too.