User Tag List

First 123 Last

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Yeah, it is a hard word to define. Most people would probably agree that it is when you do something (not necessarily produce) that is good for other people or you. But then we can say that I am being productive even if I am sitting doing nothing as I probably need that moment to focus myself, so it is good for me.

So this whole question of laziness is really about not directing our productivity to socially accepted/expected tasks.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    Yeah, it is a hard word to define. Most people would probably agree that it is when you do something (not necessarily produce) that is good for other people or you. But then we can say that I am being productive even if I am sitting doing nothing as I probably need that moment to focus myself, so it is good for me.

So this whole question of laziness is really about not directing our productivity to socially accepted/expected tasks.
    Expectations and experiences of productivity could be really divergent, its not a wholly subjective thing though, I'd agree for instance that the bums drinking cidar behind trees in the park arent as productive as the guy who dodges out of work but spends the day listening to records, watching movies and then reviewing online or working on an old car.

Both arent working at their jobs, both probably think its a good way to spend their time, both are active rather than inert but I'd say the second is the only really productive one.

This is a good topic, thanks for the back and forth

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

By the definition we are getting at here, I am not lazy at all. I think that's hilarious...

Ginkgo

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Exactly. You can see he's in deep contemplation.

Oberon

Hard work pays off in time. Laziness pays off right now.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Maybe it's a reactive behavior to the perception of uncertainty.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

To decide what is and is not lazy, one must first find out what has and has not to be done in life.

But to find out what has and has not to be done, one can only ponder, is that to be or not to be lazy?

I will be resting on the meadow sipping on a grass straw, awaiting the answer to that question. I am sure it will come to me, eventually. Some day...
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I'm watching Office Space, I love that movie and there's a guy in it who has a "dream of doing nothing"

MBTI
    INTP

You are looking at the issue from a rather interesting perspective. There is no "origin" of laziness, but there is an origin for productivity. Laziness is the default setting, I believe. There are a million things in the world that could motivate a person to be productive, but I doubt we have much of a catch-all motivator. Probably food, water, and sex, or some other combination of basic needs.