User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Categorization

From the Undertow Array CuriousFeeling's Avatar
    4w5 sp/sx

Depends on what I am categorizing, but I place grocery items on the conveyor belt based on what type of food it is, and where it will all get packed up in the house, that way I don't have to rummage through piles of bags to look for everything that should belong together. Makes it more efficient to unpack the stuff later on.

When it comes to organizing my closet, I tend to put shoes I use for the summer up front, and the winter ones in the back. I put dress clothes in a spot where they are safe, and the stuff I use more often towards the front. Quick access!

Filing things, I tend to do it in alphabetical order, and base it on what type of files are in there.

When I'm organizing things, I like to have the stuff I access the most often to be up front.

“Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings -- always darker, emptier and simpler.”
    ― Friedrich Nietzsche

All Natural! All Good! Array

I am not very good at categorizing, interesting that it is a Te thing. I can "label" things, but I can't easily put them in boxes so to speak. Like with my blog, I can "tag" the posts quite easily because each post can have multiple tags, the tags don't have to be wholly descriptive even when combined, and the post doesn't get "sectioned" off from the rest of the blog. But with email, I don't like to move them into folders because it seems like one email could fit into a few different folders. That's why I like gmail's "label" system, it's more like tagging.

I am ok with things that don't have to be wholly descriptive, but once something must fit into only one category, it becomes a little bit more difficult.

I am not good at categorizing. Or sorting things out around my apartment.

EDIT: I haven't read every post here but it could be a J/P thing. I have heard that Js are better at drawing lines between things, whereas Ps are generally more inclined to see a million shades of grey... I think drawing lines between things that seem related is probably a useful skill for categorizing. But I don't know if that's actually true...
    Strychnine is all-natural,
    So strychnine is all good.
    It's Godly and righteous,
    So eat it, you should.
    Who are you to refuse nature's will?

Don't use the multiquote; it was planted by the devil to deceive us.

Social Role: Asscrack/Piece of Shit/Public Defecator/Spiteful Urinator

A different type everyday - so no need to type me anymore. But feel free to enjoy the sound of your own asscrack.

Post-Humorously Array stalemate's Avatar

Categorizing things as I have seen implemented up to this point in my life is inefficient and overrated. I have never really dealt with physical files or media much so I guess I'm talking mainly computer related things.

The company where I work is over 80% SJ if I recall correctly (we all went through Keirsey temperament sorter at the same time, just before I found this site). Anyway, most of them have some system of categorizing stuff. It is so awful I just hate it. An email comes in and is read and immediately filed into a folder. Usually they make folders per project. The only problem is, life doesn't happen per project. Emails can reach across all projects. They all make fun of me because my desk is a disaster area and my computer looks just like it. But guess what... when they want information about something that happened 6 months ago who do they come running to? Yep, Mr. Chaos to the rescue. Index that stuff and search it!

We have a shared repository of documentation. About once every 2 or 3 months my team members decide it could be better organized and the move everything around. What happens then is no one can find anything because the categories still don't make sense and they destroyed the usefulness of me just being able to remember.

Can you tell I really really hate categorizing stuff?

Now a system where you can put labels or keywords on something (like gmail, or lightroom) I can see how that would be really good if you wanted to use it. Because, you can have more than one label on an item and it accurately reflects how life actually happens. Just because you put one label on something doesn't mean it disappears from view in all other labels.

Do I have a point here? I'm not sure, but I am frustrated with trying to categorize things.

My computer desktop is frequently full of icons. People come over and they are like "how you can you stand that?" and I honestly don't even know what bothers them about it. Everything is still sitting there right where I dropped it.

lol... I'm just rambling at this point.

I say embrace the dark side and don't worry about categorizing stuff!!!!

& Badger, Ratty and Toad Array Mole's Avatar

Smile Categorisation and Random Access Memory

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    Categorizing. I have a lot of trouble with forming appropriate categories for objects or files or anything really. It is a useful skill. I get the sense that some people are naturally good at this. For those people, how do you go about doing it?

For others... have you learned to do this? How have you taught yourself to do so?

Example: I have no idea where to post this thread...
    In 1440 the printing press was invented which led to universal literacy. And literacy led to categorisation.

A library, for instance, is based on catalogues and categorisation.

But with the invention of the computer in 1936, random access memory was born and categorisation was coming to an end.

And right in front of me today my iMac works on random access memory and I have no need to categorise anything.

And more to the point, I have no need to categorise my personality with MBTI.

But we drive forward looking in the rear vision mirror of categorisation, while random access memory is rushing towards us through the windscreen.

insert random title here Array Randomnity's Avatar
    6w5 sp/sx

I like categorizing stuff, though I don't think I can really put into words how to do it. Things almost naturally fall into categories. I make categories based on what a large number of items have in common.

Though, it's irrelevant for me since I'm too easily distracted to stick to a system for categorizing, really. The only thing I categorize regularly is my computer work folders, just because I hate hate hate looking through an epic list of 50000 files trying to find something. Instead I click, click, click on a few folders and I'm there right away.

like today I noticed I had 4 "protein quantification" documents, several hard data files and maybe 10 picture files in one of my project folders (among other things). I made 3 new folders, data, Protein Q and pics. Now my main folder for that project only has about 8 things in it, which is how I like it, so I don't have to look at a ton of files to find one. And now I know where to save things without thinking too hard about it.
    -end of thread-

Categories are useful for communication and understanding. For example, furniture falls under the category of house hold appliances, and chairs call under the category of furniture, and grandma rockers fall under the category of chairs. The more specific you categorize, the more likely you are of having seamless communication.

You should always remember that categorizations are just arbitrary, though. It's ok to categorize yourself, or you project, or whatever, because it's not like you're actually restraining yourself within the categorization.

For you, being an Fi dom, life is probably about images and how those images connote feelings and stuff. It can be difficult to label these images without detracting from their meaning, their worth, or their potential. But remember, you don't. Labels are illusory. Do you think the term "dalmatian" really captivates what a dalmatian is? Even down to the analyzed core of the definition, you cannot captivate the image or the essence of sucha thing. It never does it justice. Ever.

So don't feel apprehensive about labels. Just accept them as a necessary part of life, and if you are having trouble finding the right box to put something in, just guess. It doesn't have to be a quest for perfection.

Post-Humorously Array stalemate's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    if you are having trouble finding the right box to put something in, just guess. It doesn't have to be a quest for perfection.
    To me, this is exactly where the problem comes in. I have trouble finding the right box so I just guess. What happens is I come back a week later and I want to look for that thing, but I don't remember where I "guessed" it should go because my mood or something has changed in the meantime and I think I would have guessed somewhere else. So then I end up not able to find the thing I guessed about. Do you not have this problem when you guess?