User Tag List

Thread: Attorneys

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Default Attorneys

Generally speaking, if a nonprofit organization begins to provide scholarships to specific types of students who wish to study at specific types of colleges - and does not provide scholarships to students or colleges who do not meet the criteria that is consistent with the nonprofit organizations Articles of Incorporation, can this in any way be considered discrimination?

*I hold nobody liable for the opinions discussed in this thread*
    NTJ's are the only types that have ever made me feel emo.
    ENP's are the only types that have ever made me feel like a sensor.

There are two great days in a person's life - the day we are born and the day we discover why. --William Barclay

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Nothing is wrong with discrimination per se. Only certain types of discrimination in general typically are illegal. In general, only those types of discrimination which are against public policy (typically racial, sex, national origin, disability etc.) have legislative and or constitutional protection.

For example discriminating against people who eat peanut butter sandwiches is fine but discriminating against someone because they are Asian on the other hand would be more likely to be illegal.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by spamtar View Post
    Nothing is wrong with discrimination per se. Only certain types of discrimination in general typically are illegal. In general, only those types of discrimination which are against public policy (typically racial, sex, national origin, disability etc.) have legislative and or constitutional protection.

For example discriminating against people who eat peanut butter sandwiches is fine but discriminating against someone because they are Asian on the other hand would be more likely to be illegal.
    Aren't the criteria for discrimination dependent of whether or not the non-profit is accepting Federal funds for thier programs?

It seems like most of the time, when an organization accepts Federal $$$, there are strings attached, and I'm pretty sure anti-discrimination language is associated with Federal dollars...

Does anyone know the real-deal-fo-schizzle details???
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    IsTP

Quote Originally Posted by INTPness View Post
    Generally speaking, if a nonprofit organization begins to provide scholarships to specific types of students who wish to study at specific types of colleges - and does not provide scholarships to students or colleges who do not meet the criteria that is consistent with the nonprofit organizations Articles of Incorporation, can this in any way be considered discrimination?

I think I know where you are going, you don't get preferential treatment because you aren't a minority? I was never hired as a USFS Firefighter because I wasn't female, otherwise I'd of got right in.
    ...Then I ducked my head and the lights went out, and two guns blazed in the dark;
    And a woman screamed, and the lights went up, and two men lay stiff and stark...

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by INTPness View Post

I am not a lawyer, so I have to ask:

Are you looking for specific legal advice? If so, I can't answer, since I'm not yet admitted to the bar. However, if you are curious as to the general issues surrounding this, I do have some info.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    Aren't the criteria for discrimination dependent of whether or not the non-profit is accepting Federal funds for thier programs?

It seems like most of the time, when an organization accepts Federal $$$, there are strings attached, and I'm pretty sure anti-discrimination language is associated with Federal dollars...

Does anyone know the real-deal-fo-schizzle details???
    Federal tax dollars are not involved here whatsoever.

There are two great days in a person's life - the day we are born and the day we discover why. --William Barclay

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Willfrey View Post
    I think I know where you are going, you don't get preferential treatment because you aren't a minority? I was never hired as a USFS Firefighter because I wasn't female, otherwise I'd of got right in.
    Well, kind of. Although I'm not the minority (or the majority) in this case. I'm the nonprofit who wants to grant scholarships.

Organization would be providing scholarships for students who will be studying a specific subject at a specific college (chosen by me) to learn a specific trade/profession (which coincides with the nonprofit mission/purpose) in order to graduate, get licensed and enter a specific career field (again, which coincides with the mission of the non-profit).

Are the people who do not meet all of those specifics (and therefore the organization will not even consider them for scholarships) being discriminated against?

MBTI
    INtP

Exclamation

I'm not a lawyer or any sort of legal professional, but I do work with financial aid, and I've seen scholarships advertised that are at least as restrictive as this. Stuff like "Students studying engineering who were born in County X of State Y" or "Students studying landscape architecture whose parents/grandparents served in WW2". You can pretty much give your money to who you want to (possible exceptions when it comes to race/gender... but I doubt it).

Now, if you're trying to make this some sort of contractual thing where the student can't change their mind about their career path later, there are obviously other issues. Like Spamtar said -- being picky about recipient criteria probably isn't discrimination. But certain criteria will make you anathema to the college you're trying to give a scholarship to (I know you aren't doing this, but one example would be a scholarship only for white students -- the college would almost certainly refuse to honor it, or even take the money).

If you're really concerned, check with a lawyer. Since you're looking to fund a scholarship at a specific university, I'd also suggest contacting the college's financial aid office -- they can probably steer you in the right direction or refer you to the college's legal office. They'll probably try to get you to donate money to the school to fund this scholarship (instead of administering it yourself) and press you to "open it up" if no suitable candidates are found in a given year. But they may have some answers too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by kelric View Post
    I'm not a lawyer or any sort of legal professional, but I do work with financial aid, and I've seen scholarships advertised that are at least as restrictive as this. Stuff like "Students studying engineering who were born in County X of State Y" or "Students studying landscape architecture whose parents/grandparents served in WW2". You can pretty much give your money to who you want to (possible exceptions when it comes to race/gender... but I doubt it).

Now, if you're trying to make this some sort of contractual thing where the student can't change their mind about their career path later, there are obviously other issues. Like Spamtar said -- being picky about recipient criteria probably isn't discrimination. But certain criteria will make you anathema to the college you're trying to give a scholarship to (I know you aren't doing this, but one example would be a scholarship only for white students -- the college would almost certainly refuse to honor it, or even take the money).

If you're really concerned, check with a lawyer. Since you're looking to fund a scholarship at a specific university, I'd also suggest contacting the college's financial aid office -- they can probably steer you in the right direction or refer you to the college's legal office. They'll probably try to get you to donate money to the school to fund this scholarship (instead of administering it yourself) and press you to "open it up" if no suitable candidates are found in a given year. But they may have some answers too.
    Good information there! Thanks. The students could certainly change their mind during the course of their studies, but I will say that (a) it's probably very unlikely that they would in this case (graduate studies), and (b) if they did, the organization would probably have it in writing that they would just simply need to pay the money back if they changed their mind.

And, yeah, I think contacting the college legal offices is a great idea. Thanks again.