MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/so
    Socionics
    INTj

Cool Quiet VS Shy

They aren't the same thing, people!

Anyone else get really frustrated by people who call you "shy" when you're really just "quiet"?

<Will expand more later.>
    Enneagram: 5w4 5-9-2 (5w4 9w1 2w1) sp/so

"Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Greg King
    The worst mistake people make in political arguments is assuming that the other side is not trying to do the right thing. This simple oversight makes productive conversation nearly impossible.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I am often quiet, but there is another distinction that applies to me. Specifically, with some new people I'm quite simply disinterested in them. Shyness implies a feeling of intimidation, disinterest is a manifestation of apathy. Quietness is obviously a third thing, an implicit nature that doesn't necessarily reflect a state of mind.

I suppose I'm in a similar boat overall. I'm frequently quiet and sometimes disinterested but am not often shy.
    Does he want a pillow for his head?

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

I don't know whether I am reserved or shy or just quiet. Mostly I feel neutral about situations and just nothing (to say) comes to mind.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

Phantonym

It is frustrating. I'm more reserved than shy, but I am most definitely quiet because I like to observe more than participate straight away.

I think there is an element of shyness in my nature. If I use this as a definition...

In humans, shyness (also called diffidence) is a social psychology term used to describe the feeling of apprehension, lack of confidence, or awkwardness experienced when a person is in proximity to, approaching, or being approached by other people, especially in new situations or with unfamiliar people.

It is the apprehension in me that stimulates the observation in some situations. And confidence in a situation you are unfamiliar with seems like a recipe for disaster. And I do feel awkward in unfamiliar situations.

So I think it is some kind of shyness that fuels observation.

Hate

Quote Originally Posted by copperfish17 View Post
    They aren't the same thing, people!
    Agreed.

Anyone else get really frustrated by people who call you "shy" when you're really just "quiet"?
    Well, I don't get referred to as either quiet or shy, but I see what you're saying though. You've never struck me as being shy though.

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Socionics
    LII

I'm neither shy nor quiet; I'm simply reserved. It's more annoying when I try to explain the reasons why I don't qualify as 'shy' and they still insist otherwise.
    “'Fuck', I think. What a beautiful word. If I could say only one thing for the rest of my life, that would be it.”

Quote Originally Posted by ZPowers View Post
    I am often quiet, but there is another distinction that applies to me. Specifically, with some new people I'm quite simply disinterested in them. Shyness implies a feeling of intimidation, disinterest is a manifestation of apathy. Quietness is obviously a third thing, an implicit nature that doesn't necessarily reflect a state of mind.

I suppose I'm in a similar boat overall. I'm frequently quiet and sometimes disinterested but am not often shy.
    Exactly.
    All people see, but no one sees the same.

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

I'm extremely shy but it mostly doesn't show as being 'quiet' - I'm more withdrawn with periods of extroverted behaviour. At times, I will nervously talk away, either because I find the awkward silence to be rather unnerving or because I'm trying (and failing) to socially participate out of politeness.

And extroverts can also be shy.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte
    Likes DulcetRefrain liked this post

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 so/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    I don't know whether I am reserved or shy or just quiet. Mostly I feel neutral about situations and just nothing (to say) comes to mind.
    I'm the same way. Unless I'm dying to say something, I won't unless necessary. I think it's just being reserved and observational.