User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you use proper grammar and spelling when texting your friends?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. I am a Grammar Nazi.

34 55.74%
  • It's passable...proper spelling, not the greatest grammar...

21 34.43%
  • lol ur jus mad cuz i dun feel lik typin gud all teh time....u wanna fite???"

6 9.84%
First 4567 Last

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

moms aren't supposed to text! that's against mom rules or something! :horor:

(mine only texts threats to my sis that she'd better pick up her phone )

but yeah... nothing to make you feel totally un-hip and out of the loop like someone using too much text speak... I've responded in like on occasions... with the nice little acronym WTF?!?
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx

I know! It freaks me out when mom's text me (well, mom's to my friends and SO!)! I'm like, woah now, you're not supposed to be all hip and stuff!

I'm trying to back off on my texting. I keep telling my friends to email me. That goes to my phone and is easier for me.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I have a plan with unlimited texting since my best friend and I tend to text back and forth while she's at work all of the time... she's an ESTJ grammar nazi, so I am quite used to texting properly

what was really upsetting is when we were shocked that the man's GRANDPA texted him... that's even more wrong than parents!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx

I used to have unlimited texting, but dropped it down to the lowest texting plan to save a little money...since everyone stopped texting me as much.... And of course when I did that people started texting me like crazy... So I stopped replying. :steam:

A grandpa!? Now that's just crazy to me! Most grandparents I know don't have a cell phone, or never turn it on unless they are traveling!

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

yeah... his grandpa dropped the land line and only uses his cell phone... that's SO not grandparent like behavior! My grandparents don't even HAVE a cell phone

and of course they would text more when you don't have unlimited texts! People are contrary like that!

NPcomplete

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    moms aren't supposed to text! that's against mom rules or something! :horor:

(mine only texts threats to my sis that she'd better pick up her phone )

but yeah... nothing to make you feel totally un-hip and out of the loop like someone using too much text speak... I've responded in like on occasions... with the nice little acronym WTF?!?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kymbirleigh View Post
    I know! It freaks me out when mom's text me (well, mom's to my friends and SO!)! I'm like, woah now, you're not supposed to be all hip and stuff!

I'm trying to back off on my texting. I keep telling my friends to email me. That goes to my phone and is easier for me.
    You guys are lucky your moms text. I've been trying to teach my mom for a long time because it's easier if communication is needed and one of us is busy. But she prefers phone conversations (even with all the associated inconveniences).

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx

Quote Originally Posted by thealchemist View Post
    You guys are lucky your moms text. I've been trying to teach my mom for a long time because it's easier if communication is needed and one of us is busy. But she prefers phone conversations (even with all the associated inconveniences).
    Oh, my parents don't even have a texting option on their plan, in fact, my dad has asked them to disable the ability to even receive texts.... My future mother-in-law is the texter.

I do use Standard English when texting... firstly, the abbreviations and shortened forms were useful back in the old days, when you were paying for each text and only had a limited number you could send - nowadays though, most people have contracts with unlimited texts on them (I do and most people I know do), so there's no need to penny pinch.

Secondly, predictive text is infinitely faster and superior to keying in letters individually and, IME, predictive text works much better if you write actual proper words. If you use it with text speak, you have to keep stopping and going back and teaching it all your crazy terms.

Combining predictive text facilities and unlimited texts contracts, as far as I see it, the only people left who still use bad English in texting are those who use it everywhere, because they don't know how to spell properly, period. This doesn't bother me or irritate me though. As long as I can actually decipher what you're saying, I don't care. I'm not a grammar Nazi, but if I literally can't make out what you're saying, I will say so.
    I'm male and over 30, FYI.
    Preferences: 20% Extravert, 98% Intuitive, 68% Thinker, 17% Perceiving

NPcomplete

Quote Originally Posted by Kymbirleigh View Post
    Oh, my parents don't even have a texting option on their plan, in fact, my dad has asked them to disable the ability to even receive texts.... My future mother-in-law is the texter.
    Ooh she's still a mother though. :P

My parents both have the texting option, My dad replies to my texts but he doesn't check his phone that often so a text could stay unread for hours. My mom, on the other hand,...She actually preferred to pay long-distance fees to sending a simple text which would cost nothing!

I should try it again.

MBTI
    I__P
    Enneagram
    4 sp

Ugh, I hate writing text messages takes a long time for me, mebbe because I do it so rarely. And I only text/call someone if necessary.
    I use correct grammar, yes - but I don't use correct letter case because I haven't figured out how to do that on my cellphone.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Teh annoying/boring.