User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you use proper grammar and spelling when texting your friends?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. I am a Grammar Nazi.

34 55.74%
  • It's passable...proper spelling, not the greatest grammar...

21 34.43%
  • lol ur jus mad cuz i dun feel lik typin gud all teh time....u wanna fite???"

6 9.84%
First 23456 Last

your resident asshole

Well, my phone automatically capitalizes the first letter in a sentence (and I don't know how to change it). So why not finish with some proper grammar, spelling, and punctuation...

Unless I'm in a hurry, of course.

MBTI
    yupp

i don't do txt spk when texting, but i'm also not like oh i should proof read this and put in commas where needed.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Hatter View Post
    I actually wouldn't know how it's like to not use good grammar and spelling.
    You split that infinitive rather easily.

I do not text, and elsewhere I always do my best to use good grammar, spelling, etc. It is hard for me not to do so as well.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I always use correct grammar and spelling, and I hate it when others have total disregard for it. I also refuse to use smilies in texts or on message boards such as this, though don't mind when others do. I simply lack the proper temperament for such tomfoolery. I am also not a fan of malarky or twaddle.
    Does he want a pillow for his head?

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Yes I do. I do use some acronyms but yeah.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/so
    Socionics
    INTj

The only time when I might use abbreviations is when I'm texting and I've reached the word limit on my phone.
    Enneagram: 5w4 5-9-2 (5w4 9w1 2w1) sp/so

"Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Greg King
    The worst mistake people make in political arguments is assuming that the other side is not trying to do the right thing. This simple oversight makes productive conversation nearly impossible.

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Yes, but texting is the ONLY time that I'm not a grammar/spelling/punctuation nazi. For me, it is the only time text-speak is excusable; other than that, I consider it lazy and obnoxious. I'm actually a bad speller and tend to make a lot of grammatical mistakes (so don't dissect this, please ) but the point is I really make the effort. Its a general courtesy to others and assists in making yourself better understood.

EDIT: BTW I must say, attitude to text-speak varies between countries. In NZ mobile phone calls cost a lot more than in most countries so people text a lot more than most. Also, culturally we accepted texting as a form of communication early on when the word limit was very low and abbreviations were more necessary. Both these factors contribute to our high usage of text-speak. I have learnt from texting American friends that they tend to avoid (and/or don't understand) the abbreviations because they have only recently taken up texting and don't do it as much anyway. Also, Americans seem to be more inclined to buy blackberry type mobile phones with entire keyboards which save time (and therefore negate the need for abbreviations). To me, the fact Americans often look down on text-speak stems from these differences.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

Lungs & Lips Locked Unkindloving's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    ENFj

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Hatter View Post
    I actually wouldn't know how it's like to not use good grammar and spelling.
    I still adore that little reminder of your German-ness.
    Hang on traveling woman - Don't sacrifice your plan
    Cause it will come back to you - Before you lose it on the man

.:: DWTWD ::.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2011 TypeC Exercise Challenge - My Weekly Goals: Cardio 4x. Yoga/Pilates 1x. Pushups 70.

There is this thing keeping everyone's lungs and lips locked - It is called fear and it's seeing a great renaissance

Banned
    MBTI
    IxFx
    Enneagram
    5w4

Big whoop really.

I just don't like it when people are correcting eachother--- using bad grammar.

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

LOL, a lot of Grammar Nazis voted on this thread. Texting and (to a lesser extent) emails are the only places where I allow myself to not be a Grammar Nazi - in texting it's partly space constraints, rapidity, etc, and in emails (or a forum such as this) I write somewhat more like I speak - run-on sentences, and so on.

In other aspects of life, certainly when reading or writing anything of a remotely formal nature, I am definitely a Grammar Nazi.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING