User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you think your birthday has an influence on your personality?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

14 24.56%
  • No

43 75.44%
First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTP

I have a book called the Birthday Book, based on astrology. The readings about personality are specific to the actual day. It's just for fun, but it's pretty uncanny in most cases. HOWEVER, I knew a girl that shared my birthday, and she's one of the few people in this world that I would say I hated if I really thought I actively hated people. I don't care for her at all, and prefer to pretend she does not exist.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    ISTP

No, and the only reason why astrology-type descriptions can be "accurate" has nothing to do with it being legitimate and everything to do with how the human brain focuses on and takes in a much greater amount of information from what it already recognizes. it's the same principle behind why the military uses camouflage because it breaks up the familiar shape of a person or why psychologists use ink blot tests. it's why marketing is about making positive associations between the product and the desires that are familiar (or suggested to be) to the target audience.

the way horoscopes are written often goes even a step further into convincing the reader by providing false camouflage. they are often written vaguely with a sense of mysticism, which suggests the truth is somehow hidden in the message. Because the reader is already looking for something that reverberates with their own life experience they read even further into it and feel a sense of satisfaction in "finding" similarities that would be irrelevant or even nonexistent in a wider context.

No. Putin and Himmler were born on the same day as me and we don't share any political views I suppose. Both were politicians though, politician is a great occupation.

Niels Bohr was born on the same day as well and I'm not that interested in physics.

Phantonym

Of course it does, I was born, otherwise my unique snowflake of a personality wouldn't exist, obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by cloud View Post
    Do you think people who share the same birthday as you have a similar personality as you?
    If you look hard enough, you can find similarities in anything.

MBTI
    esTJ
    Enneagram
    875 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESTx

I'm skeptical of astrology, but I'm even more skeptical of the idea that a day of a month could say something about your personality. I mean, anything's possible, I guess, but I doubt it.
    Murphy Brown: What is it with us? Why can't we take the easy road once in awhile?
    Avery Brown: Because it's boring and dishonest and uncomfortable, like wearing a pair of shoes all day that pinch your feet.

approx 55% ES, 90% TJ

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Rebe View Post
    This really puzzles me - astrology frequently makes sense and 'can' be extremely accurate - but yet, how is astrology possible!!!!
    psychics can be accurate too, by using random generalizations that that could fit anyone. Doesn't make it make any real sense, though.

astrology is honestly one of those things I've never understood why some modern people take seriously at all.

So my answer is NAY sir.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

My ISFJ BF and I have the same birthday. We have very different approaches to life, but we always independently reach the same conclusions. When we first met we had to think hard to find the ways were were NOT completely alike in the way of hobbies, opinions, etc. I don't know about how other people who share birthdays work out, but it's great for us.

We are also both Aries/Taurus cusps and since we are 12 years apart, we are both Pigs in the Chineze ZOdiac. He's a metal piggy, I'm a water piggy.
    Never wrestle with a pig. You will get dirty and the pig will enjoy it.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

lol no. I'm more convinced this is meaningless than I'm convinced there isn't a god, actually. As superstitions go.

Apparently coco chanel was born on my birthday. cool.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    I have a book called the Birthday Book, based on astrology. The readings about personality are specific to the actual day. It's just for fun, but it's pretty uncanny in most cases. HOWEVER, I knew a girl that shared my birthday, and she's one of the few people in this world that I would say I hated if I really thought I actively hated people. I don't care for her at all, and prefer to pretend she does not exist.
    my sister has that book...i love it kinda
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

no way! I share a birthday with

- Milton Freidman
    - Liberace
    - J. K. Rowling
    - Primo Levi
    - William Bennet :horor:
    - Wesley Snipes
    - my psycho ENFJ ex fiance

I really don't think I have that much in common with others who are born on the same day as me
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett