User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Extraverts, when are you introverted (and vice versa)?

i'm comfortable in front of
    and in a group of people.
    part of my job too.

but usually in a big group of people,
    i find that there are very few who aren't
    just waiting for their turn to talk or to be

i try to listen. ratio: 2 ears 1 mouth.
    but sometimes crap people dish out
    just lowers my iq and i kinda tune out.
    every normal man must be tempted, at times,
    to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag,
    and begin slitting throats.
    h.l. mencken

Large groups when I don't know anyone. Large groups even when I do know some people. Mostly just in new environments. Bars and clubs send me into introvert mode mostly because they're so claustrophobic to me.

Most of the time it's the usual new person shyness stuff and the rest of the time I'm extraverted, though I can be a tad reserved when I'm working.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.” -Nietzsche

don't fence me in Array sui generis's Avatar
    875 sx/sp

When it comes to making small talk.
    When it comes to forced conversation with someone I don't have anything in common with.
    When I'm physically exhausted.
    When I'm emotionally overwhelmed.
    When I'm feeling intimidated (it's rare, but possible).

When I have to talk on the phone for work/school purposes.
    Murphy Brown: What is it with us? Why can't we take the easy road once in awhile?
    Avery Brown: Because it's boring and dishonest and uncomfortable, like wearing a pair of shoes all day that pinch your feet.

approx 55% ES, 90% TJ

From the Undertow Array CuriousFeeling's Avatar
    4w5 sp/sx

I suppose the time I turn extroverted is if I'm playing music onstage, and if people like what I am playing, it feels good. Also, if I am dancing with a group of friends. Otherwise, by the end of the party, I need "me-time" to decompress.

I may seem like an extrovert to very introverted people, cos I seem fairly outgoing, usually good with initiating conversation and social interaction, concerned about the welfare of others.

“Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings -- always darker, emptier and simpler.”
    ― Friedrich Nietzsche

Retired Member Array
    9w1 sx/sp
    EII Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    What do you mean by "introvert" and "extrovert"?

I'm quiet 75% of the time, remain in the background 80% of the time, but I'm an extrovert 100% of the time.
    I agree with Trinity here. In my case, I'm an introvert 100% of the time, in the way that I forever feel kind of inward. Even though I can be filled with this incredibly warm sense of connection and good spirits when I'm around others, I still feel somewhat disconnected and isolated in my my own unit. I think my extroverted friends (certainly my ExFJ friends) have a way of feeling seamlessly connected and 'one' with the social dynamic, in a way that seems somewhat out of reach to me.

In terms of extroverted/people-orientated behaviours, I'd say I'm exercising 'extraversion' about 40-ish% of the time. In certain contexts, I think people might even mistake me for an extravert. I've had some people tell me that I'm "charismatic" and "charming". I also enjoy public speaking, and do it quite a bit because I'm in a position at the moment that requires it. Though, I prefer being prepared and I need to feel comfortable in the environment/with the audience. I love people and I do enjoy spending time with them, but I can't spend time with them for hours and hours like many of my friends can without feeling tired, drained of energy and a little bored. Yet I can be entertained by my own thoughts for hours and hours, completely lose track of where I am in terms of space and time and feel recharged by this. I consider this introversion - when you lose yourself inward in a way that you can become out of touch with your exterior.

Senor Membrane Array

I'm extroverted when I am with friends. That is more than fifty percent of my day nowadays, so time wise I am more extroverted than introverted. I don't mind speaking to an audience about something I know or care about. I can do small talk, I have learned not to resent it... So, I am extroverted quite nicely. The times the introversion becomes a problem are rare. Sometimes if I am on unknown territory, or in too strict social situations I get nervous. Or if I have to tell something about myself in the way "This is who I am". These three soft spots are combined fabulously in job interviews, so I very much suck at them.

173 so/sx

I'm extraverted, in a sense, almost constantly. I have a more consistent energy level than anyone else I know. I'm even extraverted when I'm quiet - sometimes people think I'm shy when they first meet me, but that's because I'm wrapped up in hearing them speak to others, and others to them. I'm scanning the situation before I choose to jump in. Often there are very few thoughts in my head as this is happening.

But as for actually being introverted (i.e. being in your inner world and not your outer world), I'm like that in these situations:

- When I just did something that I consider to be embarrassing/stupid/"bad"/substandard
    - When I'm sad
    - When I'm walking somewhere with great purpose
    - When I'm nervous
    - When I'm indecisive
    - etc. (can't remember others)
    and it's nice enough to
    make a man
    weep, but I don't
    weep, do

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    lawful good (D&D) / ravenclaw or gryffindor (HP) / boros legion (M:TG)
    conscientious > sensitive > serious (oldham)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

Supreme High Commander Array Andy's Avatar

I'm at my most dynamic when I've got something I've decided that I both want and need to do. In terms of social interactions, I'm at my most out going when returning the casual social interactions of strangers. It's all a bit of a show though, really.
    Don't make whine out of sour grapes.

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    You might not know that I'm an extrovert if you look at my social calendar, but I am one
    Actually, this is often very true for me, too. I don't have a million people texting me all the time or asking me to hang out and join in on activities. And I'm definitely not a party animal, because I don't like alcohol and usually don't get INVITED to parties. But I tend to feel depressed and lonely...a lack of "energy," I guess...because of it. I find I am most happy on those rare occasions when I am really popular and have a great dynamic with a large group.

Quote Originally Posted by Spastic_Blondie View Post
    I re-energize ONLY when I'm around people and feel very depressed when I have to be in solitude. (Oftentimes doing so will cause me to descend into a state of misery where I can think only of the things I dislike about my life.)
    This reminds me of two lines from the following song:

The opening line of the song:
    "I don't want to be the girl that laughs the loudest. Or the girl who never wants to be alone."

At about the 1:18 mark:
    "I don't want to be the girl that has to fill the silence - (long pause) - the quiet scares me cuz it rings the truth."

YouTube - P!nk - Sober
    NTJ's are the only types that have ever made me feel emo.
    ENP's are the only types that have ever made me feel like a sensor.

There are two great days in a person's life - the day we are born and the day we discover why. --William Barclay