User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: Wanderlust

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Default Wanderlust

wanderlust - the need to wander, to travel!

who has it?
    who has done it?
    have you lived a wandering lifestyle at some point?

my wife and i both have a lot of wanderlust. we have wandered a lot in the past.
    we are feeling the pull of wanderlust lately. we are feeling the wanderlust hot and heavy.
    we have been talking about it a lot lately, about selling the stuff and living a wandering lifestyle again.

do you guys have great stories about wandering? i'm sure you must!

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

It's all good , Until one day, you wander one time too many and it breaks you.
    Then your wandering days are over.

Smile The Wayfarer

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfisher View Post

who has it?
    who has done it?

my wife and i both have a lot of wanderlust. we have wandered a lot in the past.
    we are feeling the pull of wanderlust lately. we are feeling the wanderlust hot and heavy.
    we have been talking about it a lot lately, about selling the stuff and living a wandering lifestyle again.

The nicest story about wandering is called, "Wayfarers All", chapter nine in, "The Wind in the Willows", by Kenneth Grahame.

To read all about yourself and your wife just click on -

The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame: Chapter 9

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram

My best friend definitely has a lot of wanderlust. She is all about experiences and this causes her to travel quite a bit whenever she feels the urge to. Although it makes her happy, she has now fallen behind in college by three years. As her friend, I am happy that she is happy -- but I find her to be impractical at times. She has gone across the country for an internship and now is across seas, basically wandering about Europe. She's never been happier.

But sometimes, I'm jealous of her want/need to just...go. To see the next thing. I'm such a homebody and I find myself envious of the memories and experiences she is having rather than shoving her face in a book.

Smile Tending the Hearth

Quote Originally Posted by vieamemusique View Post
    My best friend definitely has a lot of wanderlust. She is all about experiences and this causes her to travel quite a bit whenever she feels the urge to. Although it makes her happy, she has now fallen behind in college by three years. As her friend, I am happy that she is happy -- but I find her to be impractical at times. She has gone across the country for an internship and now is across seas, basically wandering about Europe. She's never been happier.

But sometimes, I'm jealous of her want/need to just...go. To see the next thing. I'm such a homebody and I find myself envious of the memories and experiences she is having rather than shoving her face in a book.
    Some like to wander and some like to tend the hearth.

If you like to tend the hearth, you might like to read Robert Louis Stevenson's short story by clicking on -

Will o' the Mill - Wikisource

Enneagram
    9w8

who has it?
    I do, yes.

who has done it?
    I have a certain amount, though not as much as I'd like. I've pushed to finish university so it won't be hanging over my head any more... love learning, don't like school as much.

No... but I keep feeling the pull to do more than just take a trip... I have the option to go to Kuwait for a few months, and it's very difficult not to simply put my belongings in storage and go galavanting off with my dog on a steamer across the Pacific.

I wandered through Japan... and all of the contiguous United States. I've been to other countries as well, but not wandered through them.

Exploring the country near where I live for cliff diving spots, hidden waterfalls and hot springs is honestly fun as well, but that is on a smaller scale I suppose...

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Kingfisher, I thought you were an ISTP!?!?!

Anyhoo, my ISTP ex and my ESTJ sister both have wanderlust, HARDCORE styles.

`
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

who has it?
    who has done it?

Sure, travelling has always been a big part of my life. I've spent a lot of time hitchhiking, just sleeping outside. Travelling on the spur of the moment is exhilarating. It is funny, the original urge to move back here was wanderlust I guess. I like how fresh it feels to move.

Now that I have a family I still feel the urge to travel but I like home. I like the idea of building a home also, not a house but a home. I like the idea of having a base to travel to and fro from. I get the feeling I should keep belongings at a minimum though. I like to feel light, like I could move. Know what I mean?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

I kinda have it, I sorta just want to be rootless and have no connection to anyone or any place.

I haven't done much traveling though... Right now I'm tied down cuz of school and I still feel sort of tied down to people in my hometown.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.” -Nietzsche

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by vieamemusique View Post

yeah, some people are natural homebodies, and i think if that comes naturally then you get a different kind of lasting satisfaction from it that wanderers don't.
    it feels good to be in sync with yourself, whatever that means for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
    Exploring the country near where I live for cliff diving spots, hidden waterfalls and hot springs is honestly fun as well, but that is on a smaller scale I suppose...
    yeah that is great, you can always find amazing stuff close to home when you look. people probably do tend to overlook it too, because of the familiarity of it. that is always exciting when you find something very new and fresh in a place you thought you were so familiar with! it opens you up a little, i think.
    we have hidden waterfalls and streams and caves here, it's a lot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by SillySapienne View Post
    Kingfisher, I thought you were an ISTP!?!?!

i thought so too. maybe i am.
    haha!

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    Sure, travelling has always been a big part of my life. I've spent a lot of time hitchhiking, just sleeping outside. Travelling on the spur of the moment is exhilarating. It is funny, the original urge to move back here was wanderlust I guess. I like how fresh it feels to move.

Now that I have a family I still feel the urge to travel but I like home. I like the idea of building a home also, not a house but a home. I like the idea of having a base to travel to and fro from. I get the feeling I should keep belongings at a minimum though. I like to feel light, like I could move. Know what I mean?
    right, that is what my wife and i are trying to balance, wanderlust and having a family. we were very impulsive about travel in the past, so now it is hard to but the brakes on that. it is hard to settle down.
    we want to make a home eventually. it is appealing to us, but it still feels very stifling sometimes. it is like we generally are very comfortable and attracted to the idea of building a home, but then there is always this unease and tension there too.

i know what you mean about keeping light. my wife and i have gotten away from that. we have tons of stuff. although i don't really care about any of it, so that is good.
    i used to carry everything i owned in my motorcycle's side-bags. those were the days!

Quote Originally Posted by Pixelholic View Post
    I kinda have it, I sorta just want to be rootless and have no connection to anyone or any place.

I haven't done much traveling though... Right now I'm tied down cuz of school and I still feel sort of tied down to people in my hometown.
    being rootless is a good way to describe it, i like that.
    although i like to travel because i want more connections - more connections to people and places. it is a rush for me to feel connected to people and places and things, and i always want more of it.

i get anxious when i think about how much is out there in the world. it gnaws at me.