User Tag List

First 123

Thread: Wanderlust

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    It is as though we are new born babes exploring the world in complete innocence.
    do you not think that is an amazing thing?
    taking the world at face value, loving life for what it is. i think there is a simple beauty in that.

what is your insight to wanderlust, Victor?
    what deep dark dangerous thing are we covering?

have you ever heard the saying "the wise man contributes, but the ugly man can only criticize?" i think i am paraphrasing that pretty heavily.

Thumbs down Ersatz Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfisher View Post
    do you not think that is an amazing thing?
    taking the world at face value, loving life for what it is. i think there is a simple beauty in that.

what is your insight to wanderlust, Victor?
    what deep dark dangerous thing are we covering?

have you ever heard the saying "the wise man contributes, but the ugly man can only criticize?" i think i am paraphrasing that pretty heavily.
    I’m sure you’ve read this quote before: “The unexamined life is not worth living.” Socrates said that at his trial for heresy. He was on trial for encouraging his students to challenge the accepted beliefs of the time and think for themselves. The sentence was death but Socrates had the option of suggesting an alternative punishment. He could have chosen life in prison or exile, and would likely have avoided death.

But Socrates believed that these alternatives would rob him of the only thing that made life useful: Examining the world around him and discussing how to make the world a better place. Without his “examined life” there was no point in living. So he suggested that Athens reward him for his service to society. The result, of course, is that they had no alternative and were forced to vote for a punishment of death.

Luckily, we don’t have to choose between an examined life and death. But the sad thing is, most people avoid leading an examined life. It’s not that they don’t have time or make time. They actively avoid examining their lives.

People who do examine their lives, who think about where they’ve been, how they got here, and where they’re going, are much happier people. No one has all the answers. And no one’s life is free from trouble and strife. But those who have some sense of where they belong in the universe also have a context for understanding how all the elements of their life fit together.

If there are two people, one with a map and one without a map, who has the better chance of reaching her destination? The one with the map, of course.

When you set aside time to examine your life,

You get to choose your destination; You get to set the goals;

You get to determine the path; You get to decide how long it will take;

You get to decide whether you’re on the right path or the wrong path.

In other words, you begin to know your self and to take control of your life. You decide who you want to be and begin to become the person you want to be.

Examining your life brings tremendous freedom.

But wandering is ersatz freedom, the kind of freedom you have when you are not having any freedom.

I think you are missing a big part of the point of travelling, Victor.

Here are some great quotes that get to the essence of travelling...

Wandering re-establishes the original harmony which once existed between man and the universe. ~Anatole France

What you've done becomes the judge of what you're going to do - especially in other people's minds. When you're traveling, you are what you are right there and then. People don't have your past to hold against you. No yesterdays on the road. ~William Least Heat Moon, Blue Highways

The real reason to wander is to get lost. To lose all that you use, and others use, as anchors in life. And in doing so you come to understand yourself. Because that is all that is left.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8

do you not think someone can examine their life when they're wandering, Victor?
    i think it is a different kind of examination. it is the examination of putting yourself in unfamiliar circumstances and environments and interactions. wandering lets you experience a larger world and incorporate that into yourself. i think wandering lets you see so many new things that you are and aren't, and lets you examine your life with a lot of new context.

i was thinking - if a person can't find themself anywhere in the world, what good is it if they can find themself at home in comfort?

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    If there are two people, one with a map and one without a map, who has the better chance of reaching her destination? The one with the map, of course.
    sometimes the person with the map is so focused on the destination that they miss the entire journey.

sometimes the person with the map is so focused on the destination that they miss the entire journey.
    Yeah. I'd agree with that.

i haven't done much mountainclimbing yet, just smaller mountains with less gear. that is something i am very excited to do. how long of a climb is Kilimanjaro? how big of a group did you go up with?

we have 2 mountains here that are in the dense jungle. i have done some jungle treks, but i have really been wanting to get a team together and climb one of the mountains. they are very different from alpine type mountains - these are in very dense jungle that you have to cut through. the temperature out there is usually 100-110 fahrenheit, and 90 or 95 percent humidity. a lot of the jungle in Belize is considered "unexplored", so that is very cool. we definitely don't have trails or anything.

what kind of diving do you do mmhmm? like freediving, or SCUBA or snorkeling?
    i love diving! i hadn't really done any in the past, i have been a swimmer all my life but never diving until recently. i like SCUBA, but free-diving is where it's at for me! as light as possible, just you under the water, i love it! i love to really push it, push the time underwater, but i don't always or even usually do that.
    i am surprised at how much my lung-capacity and ability to stay under has increased since i started. i was always in good shape - but you become so accustomed to it, you really make huge strides in ability!
    my first climb was to the everest base.
    it took me about 10 days round trip from namche bazaar.
    soooo out of shape. there were like little old ladies that
    were in their 60s that bypassed me.

tanzania was spectacular though. i went on a private climb.
    4 of us, 1 guide and ... 10 porters. HAHAHA. i got altitude
    sickness once i got to the camp, but pushed to get to the
    summit in time.

to go back again, i prefer to do it alone, well, in a group of
    strangers. climbing with friends... is well, not as pleasant.
    and climbing with 2 other chicks makes me want to blow
    my brains out.

diving, i'm PADI advanced open water diver. would love to become
    a divemaster one of these days. i'm based out of thailand,
    so the proximity to the dive sites are a serious advantage.

never tried free diving though, always been intrigued.
    i too, love the idea of exerting one's potential. you know?
    it's just up to you, to see how far you can go.
    it makes discipline such a wonderful thing.

similan islands, thailand
    every normal man must be tempted, at times,
    to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag,
    and begin slitting throats.
    h.l. mencken

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

I definitely have it. It's gotten very strong lately for myself. My husband and I have been talking a lot about it lately. We've been moving towards the "American Dream" for years because that's what we were supposed to do. We just recently realized it really isn't for us, and it isn't making us happy.

We have a 6 year old, with type 1 diabetes, which makes it tough, but we are discussing trying out some new places, instead of just putting down roots again. I'm 30 years old, and I've already owned 2 houses. I want to get out and move around some now. I desperately want to travel and experience other people and places.
    http://bohemianextrovert.wordpress.com/
    Please excuse the long drawn out ramble above.
    I have to hear what I've said before I know what I think.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

do you not think someone can examine their life when they're wandering, Victor?
    i think it is a different kind of examination. it is the examination of putting yourself in unfamiliar circumstances and environments and interactions. wandering lets you experience a larger world and incorporate that into yourself. i think wandering lets you see so many new things that you are and aren't, and lets you examine your life with a lot of new context.

i was thinking - if a person can't find themself anywhere in the world, what good is it if they can find themself at home in comfort?

Man, I so agree with this. I'd rather enjoy the journey and never make it to the destination than be so focused on it that I miss out on the real moments.
    http://bohemianextrovert.wordpress.com/
    Please excuse the long drawn out ramble above.
    I have to hear what I've said before I know what I think.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

F CK all I need is U ilikeitlikethat's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so

I've seen Big Ben

The London Eye

Walked Tower Bridge

Seen the Tower of London

Seen Buckingham Palace

Used that roundabout outside Buckingham Palace

Cycled down the Mall

Been to bars in Soho

Shopped on Oxford Street

Shopped/hung out in a British Shopping Centre

Seen shows at the West End

Bought guitars and stuff on Denmark Street

Cycled around town and in Hyde Park

Used an old Route Master Bus

Used the Underground

Seen the London 02 Arena (When they was building it once too.)

Played in the Arcades in the Trocadero

Played Pinball in Brighton

Rented a boat in Oxford (... Done this/that all over the country)

Touched the Liberty Bell in Philadelphia

Had a Big Pretzel/Philadelphia Cheese Steak/Water Ice in Philadelphia

Taken the tour at Philadelphia's Inderpendence National Historical Park

Ran the steps like Rocky at the Philadelphia Art Museum

Seen South Street

Shopped/hung out in an American Mall

Seen Hershey, PA

Been on the Chocolate Factory tour/ride at Hershey, PA

Had a Hershey's Kiss, Bar and Stuff in Hershey, PA

Seen the Poconos

Been to Scranton, PA

Saw a Steam Train/Mountains in Scranton, PA

Played/Shopped/Hung out on the Boardwalk at Seaside Heights, NJ

Been to the Jersey Shore, MTV.

Seen the Atlantic Ocean

Saw Fort Dix

Saw Ocean Spray Cranberry Fields

Saw where the Hindenburg came down

Celebrated Thanksgiving

Seen Jersey City

Been to New York City

Been to Battery Park

Saw Ground Zero

Been to Central Park

Seen a Yellow Cab

Used the Subway

Been to the NBC Building

Seen the Empire State Building

Saw the Statue of Liberty

Been to Time Square

Been to the United Nations (Car Park)

Seen the United Nations (and My Flag too neyahahah )

Played Count the US Flags

Played the License Plate game

Called Tripple A

Saw where Lennon was Shot

Saw the Love Sign in NYC

Been to Delaware

Also...

I've been to Wembley Stadium, the old one, I've seen the old towers, back when they were still standing. Toured the Locker/Changeing rooms, walked through that tunnel (but not on to the pitch.) Held a mock trophy where the winners stand/stood, saw the Royal Box, saw the BBC box, saw their security control centre, saw bars and everything, that was cool, that was with school. (Also, I once spent a Weekend on the I.O.W Isle of Whight with the same school.)
    And last year I went with family from out of town to Stratford and saw the Olympic 'London 2012' site with them.

I've done other stuff too but that's it in a Nutshell. There's a lot I still want to see and do in the world.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

I don't have a particular lust to wander, yet I drive on average approximately 20 to 35 thousand miles a year through europe for work. So maybe it's just that my lust for wandering is already being satiated and thus not noticably apparant to me.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf