User Tag List

First 123 Last

Thread: Wanderlust

MBTI
    ISFJ

I'm thinking of volunteering for the Peace Corps or something next year...and maybe work on a cruise ship.

I'm not dying before I get to make one big trip through Southeastern Asia and ride the Transsiberian.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

I've got it. And I have done some of it.
    Preferably I am going to do some more of that stuff.
    Especially when I get my Harley in the next year or two...
    Maybe a road trip or three around the continent after saving money for it.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    I'm thinking of volunteering for the Peace Corps or something next year...and maybe work on a cruise ship.

I'm not dying before I get to make one big trip through Southeastern Asia and ride the Transsiberian.
    i know a lot of people who had great experiences with the Peace Corps, people who loved it a lot!
    they say it is very invigorating.

Quote Originally Posted by YourLocalJesus View Post
    I've got it. And I have done some of it.
    Preferably I am going to do some more of that stuff.
    Especially when I get my Harley in the next year or two...
    Maybe a road trip or three around the continent after saving money for it.
    traveling by motorcycle is great! sleeping on the road, stopping in all the weird small towns, i love it. it is the best way to travel, motorcycle!
    i have ridden around the USA a lot, and central america some.
    you are going to love your bike, man! good luck.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

I wish I had it, or more of it at least. How can I get it??

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfisher View Post
    right, that is what my wife and i are trying to balance, wanderlust and having a family. we were very impulsive about travel in the past, so now it is hard to but the brakes on that. it is hard to settle down.
    we want to make a home eventually. it is appealing to us, but it still feels very stifling sometimes. it is like we generally are very comfortable and attracted to the idea of building a home, but then there is always this unease and tension there too.

i know what you mean about keeping light. my wife and i have gotten away from that. we have tons of stuff. although i don't really care about any of it, so that is good.
    i used to carry everything i owned in my motorcycle's side-bags. those were the days!
    You have to really fight to keep light when you have a family and it is always a bit of losing battle. Like you said it is a balance between building a home and being able to travel. As the kids get older they form their own roots and friends. So if there is a desire to travel, early is better.

i live out of a suitcase pretty much.
    whether if it's for work, or pleasure.

i used to be a travel writer when i
    first got out of college.

the freest moment i've ever had
    was getting on my motorbike and
    riding the infamous asian loop up in
    northern thailand with these 2 dudes
    i just met.

no deep bond to freak myself out
    and over worry. but pleasant enough
    company. it was awesome.

and kilimanjaro was pretty rad.
    i felt like a man when i reached
    the summit. it was way cooler
    than reaching the everest base camp.

my heart is with diving though.
    it's just body and breath under
    the sea.

i wilt, when i don't move.
    cuba is up next.
    every normal man must be tempted, at times,
    to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag,
    and begin slitting throats.
    h.l. mencken

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Salt n' pepper View Post
    I wish I had it, or more of it at least. How can I get it??
    i think by traveling. if you start traveling and it feels natural, i think your love for travel will grow.
    i don't think wanderlust is really a good thing always. a lot of times i go stir-crazy and need to travel - when i have really important and meaningful things going on! it overrides common sense a lot, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by mmhmm View Post
    i live out of a suitcase pretty much.
    whether if it's for work, or pleasure.

i used to be a travel writer when i
    first got out of college.

the freest moment i've ever had
    was getting on my motorbike and
    riding the infamous asian loop up in
    northern thailand with these 2 dudes
    i just met.

no deep bond to freak myself out
    and over worry. but pleasant enough
    company. it was awesome.

and kilimanjaro was pretty rad.
    i felt like a man when i reached
    the summit. it was way cooler
    than reaching the everest base camp.

my heart is with diving though.
    it's just body and breath under
    the sea.

i wilt, when i don't move.
    cuba is up next.
    i haven't done much mountainclimbing yet, just smaller mountains with less gear. that is something i am very excited to do. how long of a climb is Kilimanjaro? how big of a group did you go up with?

we have 2 mountains here that are in the dense jungle. i have done some jungle treks, but i have really been wanting to get a team together and climb one of the mountains. they are very different from alpine type mountains - these are in very dense jungle that you have to cut through. the temperature out there is usually 100-110 fahrenheit, and 90 or 95 percent humidity. a lot of the jungle in Belize is considered "unexplored", so that is very cool. we definitely don't have trails or anything.

what kind of diving do you do mmhmm? like freediving, or SCUBA or snorkeling?
    i love diving! i hadn't really done any in the past, i have been a swimmer all my life but never diving until recently. i like SCUBA, but free-diving is where it's at for me! as light as possible, just you under the water, i love it! i love to really push it, push the time underwater, but i don't always or even usually do that.
    i am surprised at how much my lung-capacity and ability to stay under has increased since i started. i was always in good shape - but you become so accustomed to it, you really make huge strides in ability!

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfisher View Post
    i think by traveling. if you start traveling and it feels natural, i think your love for travel will grow.
    i don't think wanderlust is really a good thing always. a lot of times i go stir-crazy and need to travel - when i have really important and meaningful things going on! it overrides common sense a lot, haha.
    I think the bold part is my main problem. I can always come up with reasons to why travelling doesn't make sense right now. And now, and now.. And then I just never take off. There are always more important stuff to take care of, and travelling starts to feel like a waste of time and money and wrecking my long-term plans. My whole life is build and structured according to my long-term plans, which is pretty sad. And basically why I wanna get this wanderlust, to force myself to broaden my perspective and be more open to change and and another way of looking at life. And it's especially hard to get started, when the initial desire to travel is not great. I need a reason to go. I'm hoping that my up-coming trip to Ireland will inspire some wanderlust in me, but I don't know. I'm doing there to work.

It just does not feel natural to me to live day-by-day like you sort of do, when you're on the road. That's hard for me, but I'd like to try and see what it's like, if it's a better alternative.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Salt n' pepper View Post
    I think the bold part is my main problem. I can always come up with reasons to why travelling doesn't make sense right now. And now, and now.. And then I just never take off. There are always more important stuff to take care of, and travelling starts to feel like a waste of time and money and wrecking my long-term plans. My whole life is build and structured according to my long-term plans, which is pretty sad. And basically why I wanna get this wanderlust, to force myself to broaden my perspective and be more open to change and and another way of looking at life. And it's especially hard to get started, when the initial desire to travel is not great. I need a reason to go. I'm hoping that my up-coming trip to Ireland will inspire some wanderlust in me, but I don't know. I'm doing there to work.

It just does not feel natural to me to live day-by-day like you sort of do, when you're on the road. That's hard for me, but I'd like to try and see what it's like, if it's a better alternative.
    it sounds like you outlined some pretty solid reasons you want to travel right there! and it sounds like your trip to Ireland will be great, an adventure.
    if you really feel you need to travel i think the best thing you can do is make a real commitment to it - buy a plane ticket or book a hotel or something. that will make it real, and even if you are worrying it will push you along to seeing it through.

i don't think you should knock long-term goals though. there is an element of building there, getting to really know and understand things and shaping them over time. so i envy that in you.
    i think you have to learn what is right for you, and in the end whatever other people say doesn't matter a lot.

Thumbs down What do they take me for?

I am amazed to see that on this thread that wanderlust is expressed entirely without insight.

It is as though two and a half thousand years ago, Socrates never uttered at his trial for heresy the words, "The unexamined life it not worth living".

It is as though a hundred and fifty years of therapy has not passed.

It is as though we are new born babes exploring the world in complete innocence.

It is as though Oedipus never killed his father and Cain never killed his brother, Able.

The Americans of course have a trop of the, "innocent American abroad", but even that self serving trop is balanced by the trop of the, "ugly American".

Such innocence is presented here as naivety. But is simply a cover for something deeper, darker and more dangerous.

Reading this thread, I can't help thinking, "What do they take me for?".