User Tag List

First 5678 Last

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Aside from the balrog look a little too much like an escapee from Diablo II, that was a very good scene. The whole Moria sequence was probably one of the best done in the movie, even with the changes, because the changes there meshed.
    No.... no... wait a minute. The Diablo II escapee is perfect. Let's see..

Diablo II is a sequel to Diablo I. Diablo was a graphical sorta real time attempt at a roguelike, of the hack heritage. It was heavily influenced by the Moria and Angband* Roguelikes, and "the" Balrog is the Moria one. So Diablo and LOTR share the same demon inspiration.

Here's a direct quote :

"Having met Blizzard's Allen Adham at CES, Brevik took advantage of the opportunity to plug his own idea for a PC game: "I came up with the idea for Diablo ... when I was high-school," says Brevik. "It was modified over and over until it solidified when I was in college and got hooked on an ASCII game called Moria/Angband. When we pitched Diablo to Blizzard, we pitched a turn-based, single-player DOS game.""

Heh... anyway if you think this all sounds a bit geeky...

you'll find my name on the startup screen for the Roguelike, Angband! If a guy called Sean and I had not picked up Angband again to finish it and release it to the world from Warwick University, it would almost certainly have died, which perhaps would have led to there being no Diablo in computer game history, and a different looking balrog in the Lord of the Rings. So how many degrees of separation does MBTI Geoff have from the Lord of the Rings Balrog

-Geoff

MBTI
    xNTP

It is unfortunate that I didn't get a chance to meaningfully contribute to such an excellent thread.

Three cheers for the Professor.

I always loved this passage:

Galadriel's Song of Eldamar

I sang of leaves, of leaves of gold, and leaves of gold there grew:
    Of wind I sang, a wind there came and in the branches blew.
    Beyond the Sun, beyond the Moon, the foam was on the Sea,
    And by the strand of Ilmarin there grew a golden Tree.
    Beneath the stars of Ever-eve in Eldamar it shone,
    In Eldamar beside the walls of Elven Tirion.
    There long the golden leaves have grown upon the branching years,
    While here beyond the Sundering Seas now fall the Elven-tears.

MBTI
    ISTx

This dude fully has my support.

Sniffles

I must admit to not being a big Tolkein fan. Mostly because Im not a great fan of fiction for the most part.

But I always like to pay homage to great Catholic men - and yes Tolkein was a devout Catholic, although many people try to dance around that fact.

Happy Birthday, you boring-ass MF!
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    xNTP

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    I must admit to not being a big Tolkein fan. Mostly because Im not a great fan of fiction for the most part.

But I always like to pay homage to great Catholic men - and yes Tolkein was a devout Catholic, although many people try to dance around that fact.
    'Tis a touchy subject because allegedly Tolkien, despite the way it has been interpreted, didn't intend for LOTR to be allegorical.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Ah, my passionate middle school affair was with this dry, dead old man.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by JustDave View Post
    'Tis a touchy subject because allegedly Tolkien, despite the way it has been interpreted, didn't intend for LOTR to be allegorical.
    True, Tolkein was not into allegory as CS Lewis was. Still, LOTR is filled with Catholic themes. Tolkein certainly borrows much from the pagan traditions, but views them through a Catholic prism.

On at least one occasion he expressed his utter contempt for Neo-pagans, remarking how they easily forget the extraordinary gift Christ's message gave to Europe's native traditions.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Trivia #10: What was the history of Merry's sword that made it an ideal weapon to attack the Lord of the Wringwraiths at Gladden Field?
    Dunno if it was answered yet. It was forged by the Men of the West before the downfall of Arnor to fight the spirits of Angmar (I think. Dread spirits, anyway). This made it ideally forged to weaken the Witch-King for the final blow by Eowyn.
    "The subject chooses to sit in shadow and search for wisdom by reflecting upon his trial. The problem is not that he is cold and wet, but that cold and wet seems problematic, so he embraces those hardships in order to best them."

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Priam View Post
    Dunno if it was answered yet. It was forged by the Men of the West before the downfall of Arnor to fight the spirits of Angmar (I think. Dread spirits, anyway). This made it ideally forged to weaken the Witch-King for the final blow by Eowyn.
    Yes, but even better than that... it was specifically made to kill the Witch-King of Angmar, if I read LOTR correctly.