User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Dancing bears probably caused global warming.

The bastards....
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.” -Nietzsche

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Confused: Are we discussing dancing bears or global warming?

I already know which one I find more interesting...
    Neither?
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Pixelholic View Post
    Dancing bears probably caused global warming.
    The bastards....
    I *knew* it!

And THAT, kind sir, is why we eat bears instead of children:
    Because bears cause global warming.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

So wait, if bears cause global warming, and global warming melts the ice caps, and melting ice caps kills the polar bears... then...

...nope I'm stumped.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.” -Nietzsche

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Is the hole dug to the requisite six feet yet? I wouldn't want the burial to take place without the proper preparation and all...

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Why would you want to delete it?

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

In my opinion, I think it is worth keeping a human child in captivity if it is going to bring even slight happiness/amusement to a dancing bear.

ReflecTcelfeR

I'm addressing your dealings with subjectivity. Subjectivity is necessary to survival. If it weren't for the human conscience most of us would probably not have survived long enough to evolve as much as we have. This subjectivity created societies where everyone can live and survive, therefore society is evolutionary. It prolonged our survival on this earth (very cunning really). Yes it is difficult to argue with subjectivity, but just because the statement is subjective doesn't mean it is wrong. As for animal cruelty. You stated that we as humans are also animals, which we are, with this said I bring up a retaliation. Would you enjoy to be forced to dance in front of others as well as abused? This is a fairly common argument, but is no less true because of that. As was stated earlier "Do unto others." Others is a absolute term and as such designates non-human and human animals. Of course the human is quicker to retaliate, doesn't mean the bear won't eventually. Rant, ended.

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Al-Tair View Post
    I can't find the button to delete the thread?
    I suspect that if it carries on the way it's going, a mod will shortly oblige by placiing it in the graveyard

In fairness, I do think there might be serious issues to debate here, but I don't think the way you started the topic was particularly conducive to this, and the thread has been sinking rapidly thereafter. The OP was rather provocative in style and seemed to be taking a strong ideolocal position before the discussion had even started (humans have dominion over animals) which naturally moved people who disagreed with this stance to retaliate from the opposite position.

Whether you were actually trolling or not I don't know - maybe this wasn't your intent, but if not it would help to introduce it more open-endedly rather than taking a position at the outset which seems rather extreme, and is liable to provoke those with strong opposing views to refute it. Also, the bonfire may not be the best place for serious discussions of this kind - it is at heart a philosophical debate, so may I suggest that if it still interests you, you could try the philosophy subforum?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Pixelholic View Post
    So wait, if bears cause global warming, and global warming melts the ice caps, and melting ice caps kills the polar bears... then...

...nope I'm stumped.
    I didn't say bears were smart.
    Human beings aren't smart either, you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Al-Tair View Post
    I can't find the button to delete the thread?
    You don't get to delete threads... especially after others have participated.

Quote Originally Posted by ragashree View Post
    In fairness, I do think there might be serious issues to debate here, but I don't think the way you started the topic was particularly conducive to this, and the thread has been sinking rapidly thereafter. The OP was rather provocative in style and seemed to be taking a strong ideolocal position before the discussion had even started (humans have dominion over animals) which naturally moved people who disagreed with this stance to retaliate from the opposite position.

Whether you were actually trolling or not I don't know - maybe this wasn't your intent, but if not it would help to introduce it more open-endedly rather than taking a position at the outset which seems rather extreme, and is liable to provoke those with strong opposing views to refute it. Also, the bonfire may not be the best place for serious discussions of this kind - it is at heart a philosophical debate, so may I suggest that if it still interests you, you could try the philosophy subforum?
    Nice assessment... although some of the pushback was more to see if the OP would then readjust the thread tone... which didn't happen.

The topic would have to be restarted in a more serious vein in Philosophy, with the case being more reasoned; this particular thread is not going to be moved there.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft