User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    If you knew you were going to be alone all your life, no kids, no family, losing contacts with friends and the place were you grew up....

If that was a certainty, if you were to spend a life without attachments...

What would you do with your life? What would be your fulfilling main goal/cause?
    i'd kind of dig it. i've tried that a couple of times
    over the past few years. then i get all pansy for
    good food. and have to come back to the city
    and run into people.

people see it as though i go detox to retox.
    not really.

i'd like a small life. i just need to cook better.
    but washing dishes is a bitch.
    every normal man must be tempted, at times,
    to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag,
    and begin slitting throats.
    h.l. mencken

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Le Fay View Post
    None of those things would result in your being totally alone. It's actually very difficult to achieve that - almost a life's work in itself - and it doesn't sound like it would be very satisfying to someone who cherishes the notion of "making a difference". To make a difference, there has to be someone you are making the difference to/for.
    Ergo, you are not alone

No, no. You misunderstood me. Or rather, I was speaking of loneliness more metaphorically. I mean loneliness in terms of the traditional vision of partner and children, of family.

I've been single most of my life, and don't have a very close relationship with my family...but I've had lots of friends. Not that many close friends, but still.

I'm talking about close term relationships, with few if any long lasting ones. Moving from place to another constantly meeting new people.

The Duchess of Oddity Queen Kat's Avatar
    MBTI
    E.T.
    Enneagram
    7w8

Oh, I thought you were thinking about living in total isolation forever! Having no one to talk to, etc. No, what you're talking about is somewhat what my life looks like a bit. I'd just work on my private projects.
    I was sitting outside the classroom waiting to go in, and I saw an airplane hit the tower. The TV was obviously on. I used to fly myself and I said, "There's one terrible pilot."
    - George W. Bush -

SCUAI - 7w8 sx/sp - Chaotic Evil - Fucking Cute - ALIVE

Blog. Read it, bitches.
    Questions? Click here
    If you don't agree about my MBTI type, you can complain about it here. I've had plenty of people telling me I'm something else, in my reputation box. That's annoying.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

This is an interesting thread and its something I've thought about a lot, I tend to think of the available aims in life and make comparisons with alternatives, there is the aim of family life, partnership/marriage etc. but I've not yet realised those and I'm not sure I wish to when I see people who have and they are miserable or some how ill effected by it all.

I would imagine that this kind of unattached existence would afford so much more time for learning, reading, travel and flexibility, more than any alternative and that is pretty attractive (truth be told there's only been two women who've tempted me to abandon that and the feel hasnt been mutual on each occasion).

I also think that it would allow some sort of spiritual path in life too but I've not really investigated that as a practical, possible one to take, just thought about it.

I very much agree that productivity needs to go beyond mere survival.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

If you knew you were going to be alone all your life, no kids, no family, losing contacts with friends and the place were you grew up....

If that was a certainty, if you were to spend a life without attachments...

What would you do with your life? What would be your fulfilling main goal/cause?
    hmm... Are you talking about a scenario where I'm the last person on Earth, or trapped in a deserted island or something? Or just losing contact with everyone I've ever known and starting from scratch?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Teacher (Idyllic), ESE-IEI (Si-ESFj), SLue|I|, Sanguine-Melancholy
    Sage, True Neutral (Chaotic Good), Type III Anti-Hero
    Inventive > Artistic > Leisurely > Dramatic
    7w6 > 4w3 > 9w8, weakside sp/so

Dark Worker (Sacrificing)
    Freewheeling Designer

Hayekian Asshole

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    This is an interesting thread and its something I've thought about a lot, I tend to think of the available aims in life and make comparisons with alternatives, there is the aim of family life, partnership/marriage etc. but I've not yet realised those and I'm not sure I wish to when I see people who have and they are miserable or some how ill effected by it all.

I would imagine that this kind of unattached existence would afford so much more time for learning, reading, travel and flexibility, more than any alternative and that is pretty attractive (truth be told there's only been two women who've tempted me to abandon that and the feel hasnt been mutual on each occasion).

I also think that it would allow some sort of spiritual path in life too but I've not really investigated that as a practical, possible one to take, just thought about it.

I very much agree that productivity needs to go beyond mere survival.
    Hmm. I don't require metaphysical explanations for the way this world works, but sometimes there is something to be drawn from some forms or versions or teachings of spirituality. I've been more and more drawn to philosophy and the characters depicted in the history of philosophy seem to end up with a certain level of isolation from society in their lives.

I always saw myself as "dying alone" but not in the sense I wouldn't still have friends and acquaintances. Like Epicurus, whose life stance I'm increasingly a fan of, I think friends are more important thing. And freedom and introspection. The rest follows naturally. Happiness.

Like in all other aspects of life, I want to detach myself the most I can from the traditional idea of a happy life...which I don't see as working too often.

As far as productivity is concerned, like most philosophers, if nothing else, I'd like to share my vision of what life should be about. Or dedicate myself to art. But yes, hermitage and survivalist routine would not do at all. Specially considering I'm an E and an FP

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksei View Post
    hmm... Are you talking about a scenario where I'm the last person on Earth, or trapped in a deserted island or something? Or just losing contact with everyone I've ever known and starting from scratch?
    The latter.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    EII

I don't know if i'd actually be able to live a life without any attachments...were I to go without the kind of attachments you listed I would be fine with that, but I'd have to live a life dedicated to improving the lives of myself and those in my community; people, to varying degrees, are like my life's work. I feel like avoiding any connections while working with people would be impossible for me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Introverted Feeling (46.7)
    Extraverted Intuition (45.7)
    Introverted Intuition (37.5)
    Introverted Thinking(26.5)
    Extraverted Feeling (25.4)
    Extraverted Thinking (22.1)
    Extraverted Sensing (19.5)
    Introverted Sensing (17.0)

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Sounds like a good time for suicide. That'd probably what I'd do.

But supposing I had to keep living, I guess I'd spend it studying and making art, much more the former. I don't think you said that I'd have no contact with society at all, so at least whatever I make out of this could then be contributed to society.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by stringstheory View Post
    I don't know if i'd actually be able to live a life without any attachments...were I to go without the kind of attachments you listed I would be fine with that, but I'd have to live a life dedicated to improving the lives of myself and those in my community. I feel like avoiding any connections while working with people would be impossible for me.
    Me too. But I find that without family attachments one is much better equipped to actually help others.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    EII

Me too. But I find that without family attachments one is much better equipped to actually help others.
    i think this is both true and false for me, interestingly enough. I've certainly thought about this and it actually brings me great conflict; I do not like ultimatums, but what you say is true, i think. This is a large reason I'm leaning towards not having children...

but i don't think I could fully live a life without any connections either, dedicating my life to improving everyone's life conditions while, looking at the bigger picture, making baby steps would break me if I didn't have an escape.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Introverted Feeling (46.7)
    Extraverted Intuition (45.7)
    Introverted Intuition (37.5)
    Introverted Thinking(26.5)
    Extraverted Feeling (25.4)
    Extraverted Thinking (22.1)
    Extraverted Sensing (19.5)
    Introverted Sensing (17.0)