User Tag List

12 Last

Thread: The Masons

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Default The Masons

I've always wondered about this, ever since one of my friends was in Job's Daughters and my dad's coffee buddy was a Mason.

So for those of you that are a part, I need my curiosity satisfied if you would be so kind as to oblige. (Caveat: No disrespect is intended. I'm sincerely curious.) I noticed that you were a Mason, Phoenix400 and thought you might be cool with me asking about it.

What made you interested in joining?
    - service club aspect?
    - business connections?
    - feeling of brotherhood?
    - the history and mysticism?
    - friend or relative who had been in it?
    - flattery because it's by invitation only?

How do higher up people decide which branch to go into (I think it's Scottish Rite and ????)

Do you feel funny about the possibility of wearing a fez one day and do the fezzes come with those fancy hat boxes or are they sold separately? (I was at a funeral of a Mason guy and was quite surprised that everyone had hat boxes!) Who manufactures fezzes?

Why the dastardly threats of things that will be done to people if they tell Mason secrets? Do people kind of laugh at the over the topness of them or do they feel quite serious about it? Are there any teeth behind it? (Like "accidents" that seem to happen to those that tell).

What do you do at meetings other than initiate new people? Is it sort of like attending a meeting, or more like going for coffee with your buddies?

What are the perks of being a Mason?

Have any women lobbied to be part of it, or are they content with Eastern Star etc spinoff organizations?

Are certain personality types more attracted than others to this group?

If you decide to quit, do you have to formally let anyone know, or do you just not attend anymore? Do they make you turn in your stuff?

How old do you have to be to join? Is it mostly old guys?

Would you consider your organization religious or no?

What's up with the aprons?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

And here I was hoping for a conspiracy theory thread....

My girlfriend's grandmother was in Eastern Star. We only found out about it (we being me, my girlfriend, and my girlfriend's dad,) after she died and we found her Eastern star bible and other memorabilia with her things. Her will specifically stated the stuff be buried with her or burned so I never really got to look through it. /anecdotal story.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.” -Nietzsche

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Sorry Pix! I've already read a bunch of those books, so thought I wouldn't rehash old territory. What I am light on is firsthand discussion with someone who is a member or who is close to someone who is.

Also, you don't have to be a Mason yourself to reply here. I'm interested in just knowing more generally. If you are contemplating joining, what has piqued your interest?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

I'm not really contemplating joining. I'm just curious about the organization. I know very little about them beyond wikipedia and my tin-foil hat friends who fill me in on how they control the entire world and what not

Secret societies fascinate me but I don't like joining any kind of organization. And I'm pretty sure you have to be protestant to be a Mason or at least Christian.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.” -Nietzsche

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Really? And yet some of the rituals are said to have their roots in ancient Egyptian deities etc.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

It's not really that hard to appropriate Egyptian rituals. Groups have been borrowing culture and rituals from each other since forever.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Yeah, but if you're going with something Christian, the one faith would sort of rule out the use of Egyptian deities. I've also been told that there are affiliations/similarities between the Masons and the Mormons in rituals/beliefs.

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Pixelholic View Post
    And I'm pretty sure you have to be protestant to be a Mason or at least Christian.
    Nonono, the specific requirement is (as it has always been) that a prospective member professes belief in a higher power, interpreted as a deity. It is actually that open, and strictly non-denominational.
    I don't think in principle any religion or denomination can be excluded on this basis, though the individual prejudices that existing members might possess would obviously be a factor when a new initiate is balloted.

Some masonic organisations such as the Grand Orient de France don't even have this requirement, and can in principle and practice admit athiests; but they are following what is now a separate tradition, particularly in relation to this issue; the so-called "Continental" branch of freemasonry. Anglo-american freemasonry retains the belief in (some kind of) deity as a fundamental principle.
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    Yeah, but if you're going with something Christian, the one faith would sort of rule out the use of Egyptian deities. I've also been told that there are affiliations/similarities between the Masons and the Mormons in rituals/beliefs.
    Quote Originally Posted by ragashree View Post
    Nonono, the specific requirement is (as it has always been) that a prospective member professes belief in a higher power, interpreted as a deity. It is actually that open, and strictly non-denominational.
    I don't think in principle any religion or denomination can be excluded on this basis, though the individual prejudices that existing members might possess would obviously be a factor when a new initiate is balloted.

Some masonic organisations such as the Grand Orient de France don't even have this requirement, and can in principle and practice admit athiests; but they are following what is now a separate tradition, particularly in relation to this issue; the so-called "Continental" branch of freemasonry. Anglo-american freemasonry retains the belief in (some kind of) deity as a fundamental principle.
    Ahhh, okay, I see. I lack the belief entirely so I'm still ruled out.

Thanks for clarifying that though.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

C'mon Phoenix! Where are you? I have questions that I need answers for!