User Tag List

First 3456 Last

Thread: Careers

I'm a computer engineer and electrical engineering student.

When I started, I wanted to come up with new algorithms, archtectures, and circuit-topologies to dramatically improve the speed of processors and computing as a whole.

Speed is not a big deal these days. Low power is. So I have shifted my focus towards that.

I don't usually find it rewarding these days. I just lost the feeling that I was part of a "revolution" that was bringing in the "information age."

Instead, I feel like my work has just had a very convoluted and diluted effect (of questionable benefit) on society as whole.

I want to learn enough technical stuff (and meet an appropriately trustable business-type) to found a business/non-profit/B-Corp aimed directly at bringing the full promise of the "information age" into reality. Perhaps there will actually need to be several different legal entities. I am not sure. I have many lawyer x-classmates, so I may be able to persuade one to become a business partner.

I still need some more hands-on experience. But, I am not sure how much more corporate B.S. I can take. I will learn as much as I can while I try to stomach working in a Dilbert cartoon.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    INTJ

Executive. And, yes, I like it.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

I just received a job offer as a copywriter for a media/marketing communications company. Happy trails.

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by heykitten View Post
    I want a low motivation quota night-shift gig, preferably where I can get away with reading.
    Look into being a security guard, night shift.

The best gigs are ones with controlled access and monitors, so really you can just sit at one place all night if you want. You need a security card, which some jobs will give you.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBeatGoesOn View Post
    Did your brother ever get into the profession?
    No, his temperament is WAY not suited for any kind of authoritative/structured environment. He is pretty good at getting out of tickets though. WTH, he doesn't even have cleavage! Well...not intentionally anyway.

I know some other people who have tried to join the pd in the bay area. Apparently it's a grueling multi-level process. But at least for one county, you get to start over from the last level you passed.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    I'm an Information Booth guy!
    You know, I've always wanted to approach an Information Booth and ask "Pardon me... what's the average rainfall in the Amazon Basin?" or "How many troy ounces does the Earth weigh?" or, best of all, "Where did I leave my car keys yesterday morning?"

The answer to that last one would be truly useful information.

MBTI
    INFJ

I'm currently teaching 10th and 11th grade English (grammar, comp, and lit) at a small public high school. Last year I tutored ESL students here part-time. When I asked the administration whether they had an opening for a full-time tutor, they offered me a position as a regular classroom teacher. I was surprised, but I needed a job very badly and thought it was worth a try. I'm deciding that this isn't the career I want to pursue.

Other than English teacher and ESL tutor, I've been communications director at a small NGO, substitute teacher, housing counselor with Habitat for Humanity, ESL teacher overseas, waitress, essay-evaluator for state education program, and worked a myriad of short-term jobs.

Right now I'm seriously considering going back to school for a master's in counseling. That seems to be the common thread between the jobs I've enjoyed.

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    Look into being a security guard, night shift.

The best gigs are ones with controlled access and monitors, so really you can just sit at one place all night if you want. You need a security card, which some jobs will give you.

No, his temperament is WAY not suited for any kind of authoritative/structured environment. He is pretty good at getting out of tickets though. WTH, he doesn't even have cleavage! Well...not intentionally anyway.

I know some other people who have tried to join the pd in the bay area. Apparently it's a grueling multi-level process. But at least for one county, you get to start over from the last level you passed.
    Yeah, I've heard horror stories. Many steps to the process and often times months of waiting to continue on in the process. The bay area should be one of the more frustrating and competitive places to get hired though.

MBTI
    INFP

I got a new job! Yesterday I left big-oil and accepted an offer with bleeding-heart cellulosic ethanol. I'm finally excited about the potential and the cause.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I actually signed up for SSI (disability) a few days ago, because I'm having no luck finding employment. Unfortunately, it will be another four months before it even gets considered. Then I'll probably need to go through numerous appeals.

I've been going to a community college for an excess of five years, which was so long that I've lost sight of what I wanted. That and I no longer have any money. I also tend to do really poorly in classes that are not of my interest and my grades have suffered because of that.

It's gotten to the point where I'm not motivated to do anything, because I'm sick and tired of going out into the world and coming home empty-handed in virtually every aspect. So I really don't know what I want to be anymore.

However, when I was working, I tended to enjoy remedial and repetitious jobs so that I can use my Ni to drift off into fantasy land as well as afford myself some extra time to muse over the conceptions which I do care about.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by TheBeatGoesOn View Post
    Ok, so numbers may be a little off but:
    Oakland starting salary = 69k
    San Jose = 70k
    San Fran = 72k
    Yikes, the salaries in the US are out of the world. Here the average national salary is 30k!
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp