User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Thread: Careers

MBTI
    IS??
    Socionics
    InFj

Furniture making is a great hobby...it has many attractive aspects for an introspective...but I could not recommend it as a career choice.

It is easier than ever to get into the craft now. There has been a profusion of instructional materials and affordable tools that allow any enthusiast a relatively painless introduction to the process. And even for the person who is familiar with the practice the learning can go on and on, wood working is a broad field with great depth should you choose to explore it.

I taught traditional wood working for a number of years, and still do an occasional seminar. I was very fortunate to have learned from great teachers and I enjoy sharing what they have passed to me. And I find that I always learn the most from interacting with students.

Apart from teaching, restoration of antique furniture is probably the most rewarding aspect of my work. I view it as a sort of "green" practice. Much of the furniture made prior to WWII is built in such a way that it can be readily repaired and put back into useful service. Most modern wooden furniture seems to be essentially disposable which I feel is a terrible waste of resources.
    Patriotism is the last refuge to which a scoundrel clings...Steal a little and they throw you in jail, steal a lot and they make you a king

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    Indy and Chicago! Just a basic police officer- gotta get in somehow! I'll probably get assigned to a heavily hispanic area dealing with sex crimes I'm told (thanks to gender and language ability!)

You?
    Very cool. Nothing wrong with a basic police officer! IMO. That's the profession I want to get into. Federal law enforcement like FBI, ATF and like organizations just don't appeal to me the same. It's possible that after spending a few years in a patrol cop job I'd want to venture into another area of law enforcement though. Time will tell, I guess. The plan for now is to make my way to Seattle after I get out of the military. I'll most likely try to get on with Seattle's PD, if that doesn't work out I'll look in other surrounding cities of WA, Portland, OR or make my way down to Cali (where I grew up).

MBTI
    istp

Quote Originally Posted by TheBeatGoesOn View Post
    Very cool. Nothing wrong with a basic police officer! IMO. That's the profession I want to get into. Federal law enforcement like FBI, ATF and like organizations just don't appeal to me the same. It's possible that after spending a few years in a patrol cop job I'd want to venture into another area of law enforcement though. Time will tell, I guess. The plan for now is to make my way to Seattle after I get out of the military. I'll most likely try to get on with Seattle's PD, if that doesn't work out I'll look in other surrounding cities of WA, Portland, OR or make my way down to Cali (where I grew up).
    You should remember my face, maybe you could let me out of a ticket or two?

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by Grayscale View Post
    You should remember my face, maybe you could let me out of a ticket or two?
    One glazed doughnut per mercy on citation.

MBTI
    istp

One glazed doughnut per mercy on citation.
    Would a box of krispy kremes cover my 28 over?

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by Grayscale View Post
    Would a box of krispy kremes cover my 28 over?
    Now you're pushing it. Are they jelly filled? That will be the determining factor.

MBTI
    INXP

Current Job :

Senior Corporate Tax Manager

Where : In the UK for a worldwide firm of accountants and business advisors

What do I do :

Help people legitimately pay less tax
    Help them structure their businesses and lives to achieve what they want to do in an increasingly complex world of taxation and legislation
    International referrals and transactions
    Tax law reviews and interpretation

Second element of my role is as a staff development manager - I help people look after their staff and their careers. My main interest in this element is in staff development and working with the gifted youngsters to help them build their careers.

Why do I do it?

Money's good. Culture is good. I'm some kind of INXP, and I've found a niche.. technical consultant, free form business way of working and I like the people stuff. I do odd hours but it all works.

How did I end up doing it? Kind of random, selected a "financial" trainee position with a bank as a fill-in after I gave up University (usual INTP boredom), and here I am.

Best moment : I qualified as a Chartered Tax Advisor placed first in the UK.

Worst moment. Monday morning, every week. Heh.

Future Job? Think I'm probably in it, unless I end up in some sort of partner position.

-Geoff

PS consider a tax advisory role if you are an NP considering law. Just saying, that's all...

MBTI
    GONE

I'll most likely try to get on with Seattle's PD, if that doesn't work out I'll look in other surrounding cities of WA, Portland, OR or make my way down to Cali (where I grew up).
    Oakland and Sunnyvale PD in CA have some of the highest starting salaries for entry level police officers in the country. $50-60k and a bonus for multilingual capabilities. I looked into it a few years ago for my brother and the bay area in general has pretty nice compensation. I've heard rumors that Oakland, CA has the highest starting salary.

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Career: I was an automotive mechanic working on classic Chevys. Then I went into diesel/heavy equipment. No longer wrenching because of health problems.

Aspiration: To be a writer and artist. Both of those don't make much money though.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    Oakland and Sunnyvale PD in CA have some of the highest starting salaries for entry level police officers in the country. $50-60k and a bonus for multilingual capabilities. I looked into it a few years ago for my brother and the bay area in general has pretty nice compensation. I've heard rumors that Oakland, CA has the highest starting salary.
    I don't know what's changed in the past year but I believe San Jose had a higher starting salary than Oakland and San Francisco's starting salary is near 72k. I lived 20 miles down the road from Oakland and to say the least, I wouldn't really want to work there... You are right though, the bay area ( and parts of southern cali) have some of the best opportunities for making money in the field. Some well paying departments for sure. Cost of living has to be taken into account as well, though.