User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: Careers

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

current job-

Student (political science, sociology and spanish)
    Random farm labor for parents once a week
    Liquor Store employee

Future Job?

Ideally, a nice translating job in federal law enforcement, I must have other law enforcement experience first though, so I'm jumping through all of the hiring hoops for big city law enforcement at the moment!

Why do I want to do this? It's a good way to do something that matters with the skills that I have and without anyone expecting me to be all too mushy or anything in my helping of others!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    I could possibly have been born to be a social worker.
    Right on! That's how I want to feel!
    And I'm in love with your idea of pursuing social work. Very honorable.

On the back of my baseball card it says:
    - worked in restaurants (ooo I love that business)
    - played in bands to pay for school
    - school - Electrical/Computer Engineering
    - moved away, started engineering, and worked up to department director position
    - moved home and started contract engineering in everyone's favorite, the oilfield.

I'd be much happier if I were working towards a cause, or a greater good. Working to make rich people richer is starting to get to me.

MBTI
    INTJ

Current Professions:
    Student (political science & international relations)
    Gambler
    Other stuff

Future Professions:
    probably enlisting or federal law enforcement
    something that isn't in an office
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    istp

Quote Originally Posted by ofugur View Post
    A basic discussion of what you do for a living, how you came into it, and whether it satisfies you. If you don't have an establish career, discuss your current job and what you are working towards.
    I work in computer networks... got into it because i learned a lot about computers growing up. Im not sure if I would call it satisfying but it's a good job, I make my own hours and I get to move around sometimes, I guess.

My aspirations will either be to continue my line of work in small bursts of temporary work so I can see the world, or if I go off the deep end I might do what I'd really like to do if time off and money weren't an issue and become a fireman/EMT. Or maybe some combination of both... who knows!

MBTI
    INFJ

I am a student, trying--again--to find employment in retail.

My first job was factory work for LL Bean; I was one of those folks who put the monograms on stuff. Factory work-aaaahhhh! But they are a great company and they paid me very, very well.

I failed at selling vacuum cleaners at Sears after that job, which was the most horrid work experience of my life. I am not cut out for sales! :eek:

Other than that, I have had a couple of short term and seasonal jobs variously cashiering, filing charts, and had a brief stint at a daycare two months ago.

I wish I didn't need money!

MBTI
    IS??
    Socionics
    InFj

I design and build furniture and restore fine antiques. I also work at a local university in the College of Art & Design assisting students and maintaining tools in the Wood Studio.

I had never thought to do this for a living. I was visiting my brother years ago when I was 25 and he left me sitting at his house one day while he had to work. I was bored so I grabbed a stack of wood working magazines he had on a table and began to leaf through them to pass the time. I must have triggered some type of genetic memory and in about an hour I was obsessed with woodwork.

The work is satisfying...the remuneration is not. I essentially create a "luxury" item, not unlike a tailor or fine shoemaker. There are very few people (especially in the mid-west US) who understand the value of what I do. The woodworking is really the easy part of the business....the marketing is a real challenge.

There is a lot of inexpensive poorly made furniture in the world and many people have come to view that level of mediocrity as the standard. So an educated consumer is who I am trying to reach.
    Patriotism is the last refuge to which a scoundrel clings...Steal a little and they throw you in jail, steal a lot and they make you a king

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post

Ideally, a nice translating job in federal law enforcement, I must have other law enforcement experience first though, so I'm jumping through all of the hiring hoops for big city law enforcement at the moment!
    Sweet. What city and what kind of position are you applying for?

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by TheBeatGoesOn View Post
    Sweet. What city and what kind of position are you applying for?
    Indy and Chicago! Just a basic police officer- gotta get in somehow! I'll probably get assigned to a heavily hispanic area dealing with sex crimes I'm told (thanks to gender and language ability!)

You?
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Hirsch63 View Post
    I design and build furniture and restore fine antiques. I also work at a local university in the College of Art & Design assisting students and maintaining tools in the Wood Studio.

I had never thought to do this for a living. I was visiting my brother years ago when I was 25 and he left me sitting at his house one day while he had to work. I was bored so I grabbed a stack of wood working magazines he had on a table and began to leaf through them to pass the time. I must have triggered some type of genetic memory and in about an hour I was obsessed with woodwork.

The work is satisfying...the remuneration is not. I essentially create a "luxury" item, not unlike a tailor or fine shoemaker. There are very few people (especially in the mid-west US) who understand the value of what I do. The woodworking is really the easy part of the business....the marketing is a real challenge.

There is a lot of inexpensive poorly made furniture in the world and many people have come to view that level of mediocrity as the standard. So an educated consumer is who I am trying to reach.
    Oh this is very cool, Hirsch. What a neat job. And I agree with you on mediocrity being the standard, and could definitely see how marketing would be the challenge. Custom-made furniture would be a rather unique niche in the marketplace without many takers.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

I develop software for medical research related to psychology, psychiatry, and cancer.

Quote Originally Posted by Hirsch63 View Post

I do a little furniture making as a hobby, and have thought some about turning it into a career. I didn't mostly for the reasons you state. It sounds like a fun career, and I fully understand your statements about most people not understanding the value of non-production furniture due to the cheap stuff becoming the "fool's gold standard."