User Tag List

First 614151617182666116 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Jae Rae View Post
    Nice examples of catachresis. I especially like "dually noted."
    :footballreferee: Actually, after looking up "catachresis", I think these examples might be more accurately labeled as malapropisms.

No offense intended, I just love playing with words and had to look that one up as it was new to me

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    Thanks a lot Santtu.
    I actually picked on you here, and it's enough for me for the time being ..
    Quote Originally Posted by Santtu View Post
    This thread rocks, I've already made a tribute thread in honor of this one.
    I hate the very idea of some overly sweet, smiling over-the-top bimbo blonde intruding to some cerebral discussion of ours..
    You're not even near over-the-top, tho your avatar picture does give an image of a person satisfied in her life. My quote was inspired by one Nina I knew. You might have made me remember her, 'cos there's some similarities. To set things straight, your posts are just humorously boring for my tastes, not quite on the level needed to hate you. I was writing about real life experiences anyhow.

The two of you share no traits in the part I described as obnoxious behavior.

I don't also remember you interrupting anything, let alone anything cerebral! Most things I write are boring and wordy more than anything else. Sorry if you were offended. I do get a bit empty feeling from your posts, 'and I don't feel like being able to relate to your experiences... but then, I just consider that another thing to wonder in this life of mine. I'd actually miss you if you were to stop posting, 'cos I've been looking for the moment when I can relate to your topics.
    Last edited by UnitOfPopulation; 01-13-2008 at 06:16 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by FMWarner View Post
    It should be "faze"...phase is a different word with a different meaning.
    Makes sense

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

I actually picked on you here, and it's enough for me for the time being ..
    Pow! Right in the kissa!
    You're not even near over-the-top, tho your avatar picture does give an image of a person satisfied in her life
    Yes I am satisfied with the choices I've made in my life. Are you with yours? As for the avatar, I purposefully chose that to gauge reactions from the various MBTI types (yours has been duly noted).
    My quote was inspired by one Nina I knew. You might have made me remember her, 'cos there's some similarities. To set things straight, your posts are just humorously boring for my tastes, not quite on the level needed to hate you. I was writing about real life experiences anyhow.
    Weak.
    Most things I write are boring
    True.
    I do get a bit empty feeling from your posts, 'and I don't feel like being able to relate to your experiences... but then, I just consider that another thing to wonder in this life of mine.
    We have things in common! I also want to lose a few pounds and continue to eat healthier.
    I'd actually miss you if you were to stop posting, 'cos I've been looking for the moment when I can relate to your topics.
    Truthfully, I wouldn't even notice if you were gone. Outside of your nicked avatar, you're just meh to me. And for the record I wasn't really offended, I was just picking around. I enjoy a good roast now and then and I can see why a misery gutted person would find me an easy target.
    Last edited by Tigerlily; 01-13-2008 at 01:49 PM.
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I hate when I'm too spacey to figure out what the hell is going on, and end up doing and saying stupid things as a result.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    GONE

:footballreferee: Actually, after looking up "catachresis", I think these examples might be more accurately labeled as malapropisms.
    Like spoonerisms!

I hate word nazis. Especially when they are wrong.

I remember in college this woman got indignant that I used the term 'incestuous' to refer to lesbian dating. You know, like in Friends where everyone ends up dating everyone else, sometimes multiple times, because the writers run out of characters and things to write about? And what's happening now on the L Word?

Word nazi actually slammed her hand on the table and yelled, "That's not the definition of incestuous! Incest refers only to family members!!!!"

I was like OMG, crazy, calm down.

And I was right. 'Incest' refers to family as well as any other close-knit group including a group of friends. Merriam-Webster backs me up. So IN YOUR FACE WORD NAZI!

Liberal arts colleges are breeding grounds for word nazis, identifiable by their pomposity, who generally don't have as firm a grasp on the English language as they profess. Especially in the English department. :rolleyes2: And I lived there for like, a 1 year and a 1/2. Can't stand those English majors.

BTW, I was not referring to you FM. You don't strike me as a word nazi, just someone who likes language.

MBTI
    INFJ

No offense intended, I just love playing with words and had to look that one up as it was new to me
    Hi FW,

I looked it up again and you're right. Some are malapropisms. See Sheridan and Yogi Berra. Then there's Lewis Carroll ("when I use a word...it means just what I choose it to mean"). Malapropisms are often homonyms, like "dually noted."

However, one definition of catachresis is using a word that means the opposite of what's intended, like flagrant for blatant. It can be unintentional or for effect. You gave an example of "unusual suspects." I think that qualifies.

I love words too. In fact, I played the word association game for a long time, hoping someone would give a word to which I could respond "catachresis." I missed my chance with Mufasa.

I first learned of it when someone was making a list of words with "cat" in them for Halloween.

Great Avatar, by the way. Cheers!

Jae Rae
    Proud Female Rider in Maverick's Bike Club.

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    Like spoonerisms!

I hate word nazis. Especially when they are wrong.

I remember in college this woman got indignant that I used the term 'incestuous' to refer to lesbian dating. You know, like in Friends where everyone ends up dating everyone else, sometimes multiple times, because the writers run out of characters and things to write about? And what's happening now on the L Word?

Word nazi actually slammed her hand on the table and yelled, "That's not the definition of incestuous! Incest refers only to family members!!!!"

I was like OMG, crazy, calm down.

And I was right. 'Incest' refers to family as well as any other close-knit group including a group of friends. Merriam-Webster backs me up. So IN YOUR FACE WORD NAZI!

Liberal arts colleges are breeding grounds for word nazis, identifiable by their pomposity, who generally don't have as firm a grasp on the English language as they profess. Especially in the English department. :rolleyes2: And I lived there for like, a 1 year and a 1/2. Can't stand those English majors.

BTW, I was not referring to you FM. You don't strike me as a word nazi, just someone who likes language.
    I like your story

Even though you were not referring to me, I admit that I can be guilty of being a word nazi at times. It bothers me more than it should, and the worst part is that when people make obvious spelling or grammar mistakes I assume that they are not as smart as I am. And that's dangerous. I would like to be more accepting of a free vernacular as in the Lewis Carroll example that Jae Rae brought up.

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

As for the avatar, I purposefully chose that to gauge reactions from the various MBTI types (yours has been duly noted).
    When I look at your photo and read your stories, I know that I wouldn't be as happy with what you got.

Don't start to play the part of the bimbo of my story. That was the evil part. No popularity available there
    Truthfully, I wouldn't even notice if you were gone. Outside of your nicked avatar, you're just meh to me.
    And you make me spend minutes of my time to cater to your non-existant feelings. Jerk.
    I enjoy a good roast now and then and I can see why a misery gutted person would find me an easy target.
    I give up. Either my language skills or your reality checks have failed on this sentence.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ExTJ

When people throw around "Nazi" or "Hitler" in arguments. There are some times when the comparison is useful, but people use the Nazis way to much as comparisons when there are a lot better comparisons to use.