User Tag List

123 Last

Senior Member InsatiableCuriosity's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Default Righteousness vs being Self-Righteous???

The difference between these two words is very subtle and I use this as a discussion for students dealing with clients in the future. Like most I expect, I aspire towards Righteousness but still slip occasionally into the Self-righteous. What I find astonishing is that a large proportion of the world, particularly those of fanaticism and extreme religious or political beliefs, permanently live in the Self-Righteousness sphere.

Typically self-examining XNTP I often ponder on this. Where do you stand?

The Oxford Dictionary Online defines:
    righteousness (right¦eous|ness)

Pronunciation:/ˈrʌɪtʃəsnəs/
    noun

[mass noun] the quality of being morally right or justifiable:we had little doubt about the righteousness of our cause conviction of his own moral righteousness gave his oratory an irresistible power

and
    self-righteous (self-righteous)

adjective

having or characterized by a certainty, especially an unfounded one , that one is totally correct or morally superior:self-righteous indignation and complacency
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible."
    — Richard P. Feynman

"Never tell a person a thing is impossible. G*d/the Universe may have been waiting all this time for someone ignorant enough of the impossibility to do just that thing."
    author unknown

i can be misguided, incorrect, rebellious, and stubborn about some random things not pertaining to ethics, but self-righteous is not something i'm guilty of (much!). i don't want to say i'm righteous either..if i get vocal, i'm simply trying to be fair.. and have more than myself in mind.

i would also consider myself "religious" (for lack of a better word), but in an individual/syncretic way. i'm sure i self examine as much as NTP. thinking about what's good or ethical is one of the most important things to me. i don't want to be ignorant or wrong about them..and i'm only sure about some fundamental things at this point.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    i can be misguided, incorrect, rebellious, and stubborn about some random things not pertaining to ethics, but self-righteous is not something i'm guilty of (much!). i don't want to say i'm righteous either..if i get vocal, i'm simply trying to be fair.. and have more than myself in mind.

i would also consider myself "religious" (for lack of a better word), but in an individual/syncretic way. i'm sure i self examine as much as NTP. thinking about what's good or ethical is one of the most important things to me. i don't want to be ignorant or wrong about them..and i'm only sure about some fundamental things at this point.
    I would like to think that this is the motivation for all mankind - it is an admirable aspiration!
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible."
    — Richard P. Feynman

"Never tell a person a thing is impossible. G*d/the Universe may have been waiting all this time for someone ignorant enough of the impossibility to do just that thing."
    author unknown

Banned
    MBTI
    IxFx
    Enneagram
    5w4

Here's my definition.

Righteousness;
    usually claimed, not given, and often said with a distinct superficial voice. It is often used on both sides in a dispute. Abused by people who often think in terms of black and white.

Self-Righteous;
    usually given, not claimed, and often said with a distinct superficial voice. It is often used on both sides in a dispute. Abused by people who often think in terms of black and white.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by angell_m View Post
    Here's my definition.

Righteousness;
    usually claimed, not given, and often said with a distinct superficial voice. It is often used on both sides in a dispute. Abused by people who often think in terms of black and white.

Self-Righteous;
    usually given, not claimed, and often said with a distinct superficial voice. It is often used on both sides in a dispute. Abused by people who often think in terms of black and white.
    For me the true meaning of righteousness is the person who is a living example of doing the right thing but makes no claims to it.

Your definition in fact is another aspect of self-righteousness.
    — Richard P. Feynman

author unknown

I'd say... the difference is a component of humility. Perhaps a willingness to consider that you could be wrong/not see the entire picture, that other people could have something to offer.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    ISFJ

There is no inherent good in someone else's righteousness if it harms others and there is nothing bad in another's self-righteousness if it helps others.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    There is no inherent good in someone else's righteousness if it harms others and there is nothing bad in another's self-righteousness if it helps others.
    Interesting perspective!?? I need to digest that for a while and test it against my own truths
    — Richard P. Feynman

author unknown

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    I think I see where you're going, except I'm wondering if you're missing one key person that self-righteousness harms: The person who is self-righteous.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

An alcoholic is somebody I don´t like who drinks as much as I do.

I´d like to go with Gromit´s idea that - if we want to assume that the difference is not just that I am righteous and you are self-righteous - it is the humility and willingness to question yourseld once in a while that distinguishes the two.

I am unique, you are eccentric, he´s crazy.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari