First 1234 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    Two times for me. I have to say this happens a lot though, maybe I should up it to three times. People mumble everything.
    I think twice for me too. Then I just try to go with it and hope it's not relevant later.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    ... If they act annoyed, I'll just let them drop it, but then I'm annoyed because I can't help it if they mumble.
    Yeah.

i hte it somch whn pple mmbl...

Actually, my eldest son (INTP) mumbles a lot. With him, I'll just laugh and say, "whaaat?" and then he'll laugh and apologize and speak more clearly. I know he can handle it if I ask him to repeat. Some people get upset if you don't hear them the first two times.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

ReflecTcelfeR

I usually don't respond right away when someone tells me something because I think and process the comment, which to them appears like I didn't hear, so I suppose this, to them, is a metaphorical 'what?'. It's also to appear more pretentious than I really am.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

My nephew's a mumbler and so I openly mumble back to him and he makes an effort to remove the marbles from his mouth.

When I lived on the reserve, people rarely made eye contact when they talked, they had some accent and they didn't speak loudly or confidently often. I honestly thought that my hearing was going because I had to ask the majority of people to repeat what they said several times. I finally realized it wasn't me and it came down to lack of confidence. Sometimes if you said, "What?" kids would just shut down and not repeat anything. As I got to know certain kids better, we talked about it openly or else I teased them until they would talk loud enough to be heard.

In mainstream society though I go with two times and, like Jennifer, just hope it isn't relevant to the conversation later on.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Oh this drives me crazy and I'm not hard of hearing. If you are speaking to someone (in the same language) it is your responsibility to make yourself understood. Not the other way around. If you can't bring yourself enunciate clearly, I'll ignore you for the most part.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Ha ha! Yes, I think I'd also say "twice, but maybe it should be three times" this can be super-awkward...
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    If you are speaking to someone (in the same language) it is your responsibility to make yourself understood. Not the other way around.
    I disagree. It requires one who wants to speak and one who wants to listen. It's a cooperative system.

Sometimes it is hard to listen...specially when you're thinking of something..

All Natural! All Good!

...and when what you're thinking of is more interesting than the conversation taking place... I pretty much don't ask "What" unless I think the situation warrants it. Unless I think the comment is for some reason very important. I am also guilty of mumbling, but when I mumble, I actually DON'T want other people to hear it . I used to think I had hearing problems, lol, but it's good to see it's not just me.
    Strychnine is all-natural,
    So strychnine is all good.
    It's Godly and righteous,
    So eat it, you should.
    Who are you to refuse nature's will?

Don't use the multiquote; it was planted by the devil to deceive us.

Social Role: Asscrack/Piece of Shit/Public Defecator/Spiteful Urinator

A different type everyday - so no need to type me anymore. But feel free to enjoy the sound of your own asscrack.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4~9

Quote Originally Posted by blankpages View Post

It's also awkward if I have to repeat myself several times, and I wasn't even saying anything that interesting in the first place.
    I agree
    "...Have you fallen in love with the wrong person yet?"
    Jace said, "Unfortunately, Lady of the Haven, my one true love remains myself."
    "At least," she said, "you don't have to worry about rejection, Jace Wayland"
    "Not necessarily. I turn myself down occasionally, just to keep it interesting"

- The City Of Bones

Here is my blog where I post my thoughts and feelings. Please have a go and comment if you like.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Craft View Post
    I disagree. It requires one who wants to speak and one who wants to listen. It's a cooperative system.

Sometimes it is hard to listen...specially when you're thinking of something..
    No I am not really referring to what you're speaking of. Maybe it's my years in a call center environment that makes me much more aware of how I speak and what I hear. In my experience, the majority of people can't seem to be bothered to make the way they speak understood. That's much different than the cooperation required in a conversation.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    No I am not really referring to what you're speaking of.
    I did not imply this.

Maybe it's my years in a call center environment that makes me much more aware of how I speak and what I hear. In my experience, the majority of people can't seem to be bothered to make the way they speak understood. That's much different than the cooperation required in a conversation.
    My point remains. It's a co-op game, not a singular story mode.